American Studies 2011

ksgrad

I know I'm just glad that there's this website with its lists of when other people found out in the past. I swear that I read somewhere that notices would go out in 6-8 weeks, and it is well past 6-8 weeks. I just want to know by mid-March for sure what I'll be doing in August.

Me too!! Congrats to both of us. What do you know about the funding situation at KU? I've heard it's not great-what do you think we can expect?

Congrats! I was wondering that as well. I looked on the department web site, and it seems that they provide 2 or 3 years of funding at base level. I imagine we'll hear about funding and an admitted student weekend sometime this week from the DGS. I'm thrilled with the acceptance, but I don't really consider it a true offer until funding is attached. So, we'll see if Lawrence is my ultimate destination or not. Congrats, again! Which programs are high on your list?

I guess I'd say that USC, UCSD, and NYU are highest on my list, simply because they combine "goodness of fit" with the program and individual faculty with a good geographical location the best--there are definitely specific archives that I'm looking to work with, as well as cultural institutions (my professional background is in museums/non-profit arts). But I'm actually really excited about all the programs I applied to, so I'd be totally happy with any of the others as well. Great programs and great faculty at all schools. But yeah, I agree with not considering it "the real deal" until we know about funding, that's definitely super important for me! I hope you're right about hearing this week... I need to email KU to have them correct my mailing address in their files anyway, so I was thinking of nicely asking when we might hear...

Congrats! I was wondering that as well. I looked on the department web site, and it seems that they provide 2 or 3 years of funding at base level. I imagine we'll hear about funding and an admitted student weekend sometime this week from the DGS. I'm thrilled with the acceptance, but I don't really consider it a true offer until funding is attached. So, we'll see if Lawrence is my ultimate destination or not. Congrats, again! Which programs are high on your list?

I guess I'd say that USC, UCSD, and NYU are highest on my list, simply because they combine "goodness of fit" with the program and individual faculty with a good geographical location the best--there are definitely specific archives that I'm looking to work with, as well as cultural institutions (my professional background is in museums/non-profit arts). But I'm actually really excited about all the programs I applied to, so I'd be totally happy with any of the others as well. Great programs and great faculty at all schools. But yeah, I agree with not considering it "the real deal" until we know about funding, that's definitely super important for me! I hope you're right about hearing this week... I need to email KU to have them correct my mailing address in their files anyway, so I was thinking of nicely asking when we might hear...

If you do contact them, will you please update us with the info?

I saw that the acceptance to USC was received almost two weeks ago--I'm guessing this does not bode well for those us still waiting to hear. I don't mean to be a pessimist, but I'm preparing myself for a rejection email some time in the next few days.

Someone has posted an acceptance for USC on the results page. Did anyone here post it? If so, when did you hear? I am waiting to hear. Did they only contact those who have been admitted?

For some reason I have been viewing the results page with a healthy dose of skepticism because I read somewhere in the forum last year there were some erroneous posts....I'm having a weird feeling this is one of them....Although there is obviously the chance that someone was super special to hear back weeks ahead of what I was told by someone in the office admissions would be out...also I checked the results from last year and there were definitely no results posted that early....My desire to not have it be true that they are letting folks know this early when i haven't heard anything is definitely driving my suspicions....

For some reason I have been viewing the results page with a healthy dose of skepticism because I read somewhere in the forum last year there were some erroneous posts....I'm having a weird feeling this is one of them....Although there is obviously the chance that someone was super special to hear back weeks ahead of what I was told by someone in the office admissions would be out...also I checked the results from last year and there were definitely no results posted that early....My desire to not have it be true that they are letting folks know this early when i haven't heard anything is definitely driving my suspicions....

Yes, I agree! I was looking at the trend and the date this person got accepted. I am wondering why he/she waited to post the results now if its legit. Did they (office) say when they will be sending out decisions? Nevertheless, I, too, am very skeptical about the post on the results page.

Anyway, did you get rejected from Maryland's program, too? The funny thing is I did as well, but the co-director of the program will be on my campus this weekend to give a lecture for Black History Month. Do you think I should talk to her? If so, what should I say, lol?

Honestly, it could be legit. Sometimes, profs will email people early on basically saying they're accepted for all intents and purposes, but it's not official.

I agree. I have a lot of friends in that department (USC ASE) and from what I hear the decisions sometimes do go out at "unexpected" times.

I agree. I have a lot of friends in that department (USC ASE) and from what I hear the decisions sometimes do go out at "unexpected" times.

Very true, I agree. The only thing we can do it wait to hear for ourselves and try not to speculate based off what as posted, be it legit or illegitimate. Hopefully we will all be hearing soon from our respective schools.

Heard from UT, Austin tonight. I got rejected. I thought this program was a pretty good fit, so I'm a bit bummed. Ah well, glad to have an acceptance in hand...this one doesn't sting so much. Good luck to everyone else who applied!

Heard from UT, Austin tonight. I got rejected. I thought this program was a pretty good fit, so I'm a bit bummed. Ah well, glad to have an acceptance in hand...this one doesn't sting so much. Good luck to everyone else who applied!

Sorry to hear that, ksgrad! I haven't heard from them, so I'm still hoping... Did you apply for the Masters or the PhD?

Sorry to hear that, ksgrad! I haven't heard from them, so I'm still hoping... Did you apply for the Masters or the PhD?

I applied for the PhD. I received an email telling me to login an check my status. Ah well, can't win them all :) Good luck with Austin. I know they have limited funding, but what a great program!

I applied for the PhD. I received an email telling me to login an check my status. Ah well, can't win them all :) Good luck with Austin. I know they have limited funding, but what a great program!

I applied for the Masters, so I'm not expecting much in ways of funding anyway... Oh well. I will make a decision when I have heard from all my prospective schools and my (probably unrealistic) hope is that the money situation will miraculously work itself out! :-)

I saw a wait list notification for Minnesota on the results board. I haven't heard anything from the program yet, which probably does not bode well, especially since it's weeks later than they notified last year. Anyone else hearing anything? This board is awfully quiet!

On 2/14/2011 at 5:54 PM, ksgrad said:

I saw a wait list notification for Minnesota on the results board. I haven't heard anything from the program yet, which probably does not bode well, especially since it's weeks later than they notified last year. Anyone else hearing anything? This board is awfully quiet!

I am waiting to hear from Yale, USC, and WUSTL for American Studies. No word yet. And yes, its extremely quiet.

I really don't think people have gotten their decisions from Minnesota yet. It's not *that* exclusive a program, someone on this board will surely get accepted and post. I think they are just late this year. A lot of programs have more precarious funding situations this year compared to past years and are holding off on official notifications until they have funding in hand. That could be what's happening at Minnesota.

Or, it could be the snowstorms slowing things down.

Either way, I think we'll all hear soon.

Edited by coffeem8

I really don't think people have gotten their decisions from Minnesota yet. It's not *that* exclusive a program, someone on this board will surely get accepted and post. I think they are just late this year. A lot of programs have more precarious funding situations this year compared to past years and are holding off on official notifications until they have funding in hand. That could be what's happening at Minnesota.

Or, it could be the snowstorms slowing things down.

Either way, I think we'll all hear soon.

I do recall an earlier thread (I think in the Literature section) where someone had heard from the department that they would be sending out notifications this week.