American Studies 2011

ksgrad

Congratulations, Kate! :D

Thanks! I was pretty excited. Of course, I had to email the department with questions, only to hear that funding is tight and they'll contact me immediately if they can put together a package. Sigh. Back to waiting, and from Kansas too. I always thought an acceptance to a PhD program came with funding or they wouldn't extend an offer. I'm learning that is not true. For now, half way there!

And the hits just keep on coming. KU wants me to travel to Lawrence to meet with faculty and ensure this will be a good fit. I am excited to visit and have a chance to meet faculty and current grads (it's an unfunded trip). Yet, this feels like an interview to prove I'm worthy, even though I've been admitted, albeit no guarantee yet on funding. Anyone else experiencing something like this, whether KU or elsewhere?

I'm so happy to have two acceptance letters, but they honestly both feel like a waitlist, since I'm totally in limbo.

Sorry for the third post in a row! I spoke with the administrative assistant at Bowling Green. She indicated that the committee won't start meeting until next week, so decisions probably won't arrive until the end of the month. Just fyi...in case anyone is interested.

That seems really odd to me. I don't understand--what happens if you can't go? Weird. Obviously they're not asking me, since I'm in Turkey and I'm definitely not coming back to the States for an unfunded "see if you fit" visit.

And the hits just keep on coming. KU wants me to travel to Lawrence to meet with faculty and ensure this will be a good fit. I am excited to visit and have a chance to meet faculty and current grads (it's an unfunded trip). Yet, this feels like an interview to prove I'm worthy, even though I've been admitted, albeit no guarantee yet on funding. Anyone else experiencing something like this, whether KU or elsewhere?

I'm so happy to have two acceptance letters, but they honestly both feel like a waitlist, since I'm totally in limbo.

That seems really odd to me. I don't understand--what happens if you can't go? Weird. Obviously they're not asking me, since I'm in Turkey and I'm definitely not coming back to the States for an unfunded "see if you fit" visit.

Well, I asked in my initial email about both funding and a trip to campus. By the latter, I meant an admitted student weekend, but they don't seem to offer one. There seemed to be some reservations about my interest or commitment to an interdisciplinary program, and whether it was the best fit for my research interests. I truly believe it is, and will make every effort to emphasize that when on campus, as I did during the phone call.

I don't know what that means for those who cannot visit campus...maybe they are more confident in your applications, and it will have no impact!

Well, I asked in my initial email about both funding and a trip to campus. By the latter, I meant an admitted student weekend, but they don't seem to offer one. There seemed to be some reservations about my interest or commitment to an interdisciplinary program, and whether it was the best fit for my research interests. I truly believe it is, and will make every effort to emphasize that when on campus, as I did during the phone call.

I don't know what that means for those who cannot visit campus...maybe they are more confident in your applications, and it will have no impact!

Earlier you said you feel like this visit is to "prove that you're worthy" - which i think is a really shitty way to make an ACCEPTED doctoral student feel. You have been accepted to the program - there is no more proving that you are worthy. Funding should be on a merit or need basis once you are accepted, not on anything else. I'm just saying this so that you don't go on your visit (that you are funding) and feel like it is going to be a make-it-or-break-it kind of audition for funding. In fact, my advice would be to ask about the procedures of applying for/obtaining funding for school again - before you go on the visit, so that while you are there you can really focus on the content of the program and matches with faculty.

I think a lot of schools are short on funding, especially state universities. I know when Buffalo emailed me, there didn't even seem to be something to compete for, they just made it sound very matter-of-fact that there isn't funding to go around. But other schools may have limited funding opportunities (TAships, RAships, work study), that are allocated based on merit (or need, for work-study).

I hope that you hear positive news about funding from the schools you are considering - and I hope that your visit goes really well!

Edited by kateg212

Earlier you said you feel like this visit is to "prove that you're worthy" - which i think is a really shitty way to make an ACCEPTED doctoral student feel. You have been accepted to the program - there is no more proving that you are worthy. Funding should be on a merit or need basis once you are accepted, not on anything else. I'm just saying this so that you don't go on your visit (that you are funding) and feel like it is going to be a make-it-or-break-it kind of audition for funding. In fact, my advice would be to ask about the procedures of applying for/obtaining funding for school again - before you go on the visit, so that while you are there you can really focus on the content of the program and matches with faculty.

I think a lot of schools are short on funding, especially state universities. I know when Buffalo emailed me, there didn't even seem to be something to compete for, they just made it sound very matter-of-fact that there isn't funding to go around. But other schools may have limited funding opportunities (TAships, RAships, work study), that are allocated based on merit (or need, for work-study).

I hope that you hear positive news about funding from the schools you are considering - and I hope that your visit goes really well!

Thanks for the pep talk and vote of confidence, Kate. I needed it!

Sorry for the third post in a row! I spoke with the administrative assistant at Bowling Green. She indicated that the committee won't start meeting until next week, so decisions probably won't arrive until the end of the month. Just fyi...in case anyone is interested.

I attend Bowling Green currently, and while I am an English student I spend most of my time doing work in ACS (in fact, many of the English profs are cross-listed as ACS profs). It's an excellent program and I have my fingers crossed for you.

I attend Bowling Green currently, and while I am an English student I spend most of my time doing work in ACS (in fact, many of the English profs are cross-listed as ACS profs). It's an excellent program and I have my fingers crossed for you.

Thanks! I've got my hopes up, and would really love an acceptance (with funding) from BG. It's been in my top three all along, as it's a great fit with my research interests. Hopefully the dept will agree!

Hi everyone,

Has anyone heard from UT Austin regarding the MA in American Studies? On the status check it now says "We have received all credentials required to process your application. Your file has been forwarded to the Graduate Committee for review." Does that mean that they're only now beginning to review applications? Is that possible?

The waiting is torture!! :D

Good luck to everyone!

What about NYU- any news yet? I have to wonder...do they do this purposely...to drive us crazy???:huh:

At this point if I am in or not I have resigned that I just want to know so that I can have some PEACE!!!

What about NYU- any news yet? I have to wonder...do they do this purposely...to drive us crazy???:huh:

At this point if I am in or not I have resigned that I just want to know so that I can have some PEACE!!!

I called NYU on 2 March 2011 and the coordinator told me that applications were still being reviewed and decisions would be out in two weeks... hopefully. Frankly, I have very strong (negative) opinions about New York and the idea of sacrificing/working so much not for the sake of a quality of life, but for the sake of being able to claim membership in that which is "New York." The discussion about the plethora of other cities that put NYC to shame should be left for another thread... That being said, I view NYU's approach to application processing in a similar light -- they look at themselves as (one of) the leading universit(y/ies) in the 'best city in the world' and, as such, people can wait. It's rude and pompous and a large reason that -- whether or not I receive an offer from NYU -- it was crossed off my list not long after I applied. Also, I've heard their students cannot live without taking out loans (big shocker) and they are treated like slave laborers within and beyond the department. No thank you!

I called NYU on 2 March 2011 and the coordinator told me that applications were still being reviewed and decisions would be out in two weeks... hopefully. Frankly, I have very strong (negative) opinions about New York and the idea of sacrificing/working so much not for the sake of a quality of life, but for the sake of being able to claim membership in that which is "New York." The discussion about the plethora of other cities that put NYC to shame should be left for another thread... That being said, I view NYU's approach to application processing in a similar light -- they look at themselves as (one of) the leading universit(y/ies) in the 'best city in the world' and, as such, people can wait. It's rude and pompous and a large reason that -- whether or not I receive an offer from NYU -- it was crossed off my list not long after I applied. Also, I've heard their students cannot live without taking out loans (big shocker) and they are treated like slave laborers within and beyond the department. No thank you!

I've also heard horror stories of NYU's priorities not including their grad students... Not that the grad student's life is easier anywhere. No comment on NYC, though. :)

Honestly, with all due respect, this is just outrageous. They have been sitting on this application since December 18, so they have had plenty of time to review . I know that they get a gazillion applications that take a long time to process, but there are other schools with just as many applicants that do not take this much time. How are we supposed to make an informed decision if they keep us in the dark for so long? I live in Europe, and I really want to go visit schools in a few weeks, but I can't just up and leave and fly across the Atlantic at a moment's notice. I need a little more time! I'm 99% decided on W&M at this point, but it'd still like to have all the information to make a truly informed decision. OK, rant over. (Their decision will probably arrive tonight, now that I have gone on this rant...)

As far as NYC goes, it is hella expensive. Without a generous stipend, it is almost impossible to make ends meet and still live a good, relatively stress-free life. But then again, NYU is a top school and the program is excellent, so I'll just wait it out. Although honestly, NYU is not really a factor in my decision-making process anymore because they are taking so long. If I had heard from them a week ago, maybe I would reconsider. Oh well.

Edited by SuperJan

Honestly, with all due respect, this is just outrageous. They have been sitting on this application since December 18, so they have had plenty of time to review . I know that they get a gazillion applications that take a long time to process, but there are other schools with just as many applicants that do not take this much time. How are we supposed to make an informed decision if they keep us in the dark for so long? I live in Europe, and I really want to go visit schools in a few weeks, but I can't just up and leave and fly across the Atlantic at a moment's notice. I need a little more time! I'm 99% decided on W&M at this point, but it'd still like to have all the information to make a truly informed decision. OK, rant over. (Their decision will probably arrive tonight, now that I have gone on this rant...)

As far as NYC goes, it is hella expensive. Without a generous stipend, it is almost impossible to make ends meet and still live a good, relatively stress-free life. But then again, NYU is a top school and the program is excellent, so I'll just wait it out. Although honestly, NYU is not really a factor in my decision-making process anymore because they are taking so long. If I had heard from them a week ago, maybe I would reconsider. Oh well.

Also, I heard from someone that they interviewed for NYU's American Studies program and already had an offer from them. So, I think those of us who haven't heard anything can expect negative responses.

NYU is a great program but so are many OTHER programs, programs that clearly had their sh*t together weeks ago (excuse my French). I also decided several days ago that regardless of whether or not I got an offer from NYU (which it appears I won`t, but whatever) that I would not accept. SuperJan, W&M is a fantastic school-I just turned down my offer to work with Charlie McGovern, and it was definitely a painful moment, despite the fact that I`m super excited about the program I decided to accept (Brown AmCiv). Fortunately he was incredibly gracious about it and offered to stay in touch in the future. I`m sure you will be very happy at W&M!!

Oh and the subject of NYU and money--I thought it was interesting that this protest happened there: http://www.artandeducation.net/news/demonstrating-what-659-million-in-nyu-student-debt-looks-like/ I know that the issue of student debt is by no means unique to NYU, but I have to imagine that the cost of life in NY doesn`t make the situation any easier...

NYU is a great program but so are many OTHER programs, programs that clearly had their sh*t together weeks ago (excuse my French). I also decided several days ago that regardless of whether or not I got an offer from NYU (which it appears I won`t, but whatever) that I would not accept. SuperJan, W&M is a fantastic school-I just turned down my offer to work with Charlie McGovern, and it was definitely a painful moment, despite the fact that I`m super excited about the program I decided to accept (Brown AmCiv). Fortunately he was incredibly gracious about it and offered to stay in touch in the future. I`m sure you will be very happy at W&M!!

Thank you, StlLiz! Charlie McGovern has been an absolute dream as far as helpful communication is concerned. So I'm getting totally excited!! All the best for your time at Brown, I got rejected there, but I know it's a fantastic program! Thanks again for your encouragement, it's much appreciated!

I just heard that I'm accepted at Buffalo! No news on funding (story of my life, it seems), but I'm super thrilled by this news. Buffalo --along with Bowling Green-- is one of my top three schools. Yea!

A teaching assistantship would make the emotional craziness of this application season all worth it. Here's to hoping...

I just heard that I'm accepted at Buffalo! No news on funding (story of my life, it seems), but I'm super thrilled by this news. Buffalo --along with Bowling Green-- is one of my top three schools. Yea!

A teaching assistantship would make the emotional craziness of this application season all worth it. Here's to hoping...

yayyy!! congratulations! <3

Also, I heard from someone that they interviewed for NYU's American Studies program and already had an offer from them. So, I think those of us who haven't heard anything can expect negative responses.

Who did you hear from that already interviewed/ had an offer from NYU?

Who did you hear from that already interviewed/ had an offer from NYU?

I don't know how to answer this question; I heard from someone who mentioned really liking NYU when they visited to interview and who subsequently mentioned that the offer received from NYU American Studies was one that they were considering alongside a few others. Looking back at results from three or four years ago, it seems as if (at least) phone interviews were a part of the process.

I am wondering has anyone heard from/about Rutgers American studies? I literally have not heard a peep about them the entire admissions season. And going back a couple years on the results board theres only like 3 or 4 results posted...wahhh im going crazy I have nothing to go on, and I really don't want to be a desperate debbie and contact the department....

yayyy!! congratulations! <3

Thanks, Kate! It was definitely the news I've been hoping for, now if I can just secure some funding. Do you have a sense of which direction you'll go with programs? I see you're still waiting on two more--good luck!

Not to get too far ahead of ourselves, but does anyone have a sense of when the waitlist situation begins to clear up? I've heard about nightmare situations where people don't decide until April 15, but I guess many departments start pressing students to make decisions earlier. Does late March seem reasonable? For those who've been admitted, when are you planning to make your official decisions?