American Studies 2011

ksgrad

I noticed a Purdue update as well. My status hasn't flipped on MN or Purdue. Purdue is low on the list, but I'd still really like to know (and have options!).

I posted the rejection from Purdue. It was dated Feb. 8 (or 6, can't remember off the top of my head) and arrived yesterday in the mail. The status on the website hasn't been updated yet, though.

Edited by efaucett

Update: For those who are like me and are getting a little impatient, I called USC to find out when they will send out their decisions. I was reviewing the results, a second person posted that they have been accepted to the ASE program via phone. Strange but possible.

Without mentioning my name, I asked the person who answered the phone when decisions (pro and con) will be sent out, he said, the decisions will be sent out by the end of this month via email.

I hope this bring some comfort.

Peace

I hate to be the voice of doom and gloom, but given the date of the second USC post, and the fact that both acceptances were by phone, I'm guessing the best I personally can hope for at this point is waitlist.

Ah well, as great a fit as I felt I had with several faculty members, this was probably one of the worst departmental fits for me. And considering how competitive the program is, I shouldn't be surprised....

Update: For those who are like me and are getting a little impatient, I called USC to find out when they will send out their decisions. I was reviewing the results, a second person posted that they have been accepted to the ASE program via phone. Strange but possible.

Without mentioning my name, I asked the person who answered the phone when decisions (pro and con) will be sent out, he said, the decisions will be sent out by the end of this month via email.

I hope this bring some comfort.

Peace

So, I called the American Studies Dept. at Minnesota and according to the person who answered the phone, all the acceptances have already gone out. The rest of us should be hearing by the end of the week.

I have no idea who it was or if she knew what she was talking about, but that's what she claimed.

So. Yeah. That's shitty news. Sorry everyone.

So, I called the American Studies Dept. at Minnesota and according to the person who answered the phone, all the acceptances have already gone out. The rest of us should be hearing by the end of the week.

I have no idea who it was or if she knew what she was talking about, but that's what she claimed.

So. Yeah. That's shitty news. Sorry everyone.

Thanks for reporting back. I figured that was coming, seeing as we're half way through February.

And the USC hatchet has come down for me, although I didn't want to necessarily move back to california, it's just...it doesn't feel good because it was one of the places I actually had contacts with multiple faculty...I don't know I'm just really really sad, because out of the 11 there was only 4 I really would have gone to. This was one of the four. Man. I am. Distraught......

And the USC hatchet has come down for me, although I didn't want to necessarily move back to california, it's just...it doesn't feel good because it was one of the places I actually had contacts with multiple faculty...I don't know I'm just really really sad, because out of the 11 there was only 4 I really would have gone to. This was one of the four. Man. I am. Distraught......

Sorry to hear that. I saw the influx of posts on the results board. 165 for seven spots -- those are tough numbers. I definitely feel for you. This is my second round; there were definitely rejections I received last time that left me pretty devastated. Here's to hoping for good news from the next school.

I've got to get away from this site and my computer; I'm going crazy! I just saw that an acceptance for Buffalo went up on the results board. I didn't get an email and my status hasn't changed...sigh. I want to be hopeful, but it's certainly hard.

I've got to get away from this site and my computer; I'm going crazy! I just saw that an acceptance for Buffalo went up on the results board. I didn't get an email and my status hasn't changed...sigh. I want to be hopeful, but it's certainly hard.

Hi ksgrad - I was the acceptance to buffalo that posted today.

Keep your head up. I also got rejected from USC today, so it's been an odd day, emotionally.

My status on the buffalo website didn't change until I received the email, which I'm certain was a generic form email from the general grad admissions office. I have yet to hear from the department.

Good luck!

I, too, got rejected from USC, I apologize to those who got the same news. 7 out 165 applicants is a very tough number--I was like jeesh! A lot of people got rejected and its unfortunate, I know, and I'm sure we were all very qualified applicants. I believe that despite the sadness and anger (and other emotions) that rejection cause, it helps build character (as future academicians, rejections are inevitable, its apart of the "life of the mind"). This is all to say, stay hopeful and remind yourself of why you truly want to be in academia, you still have a chance.

As Tupac reminds us, "Ooh, child, things'll get better"

Keep ya head up, everyone!

Hi ksgrad - I was the acceptance to buffalo that posted today.

Keep your head up. I also got rejected from USC today, so it's been an odd day, emotionally.

My status on the buffalo website didn't change until I received the email, which I'm certain was a generic form email from the general grad admissions office. I have yet to hear from the department.

Good luck!

Congrats on Buffalo! I fully appreciate the highs/lows. It's nice knowing you're in somewhere, but always disappointing to receive a rejection (or promise of one) when it seemed like good news was possible, if not likely!

Congrats on Buffalo! I fully appreciate the highs/lows. It's nice knowing you're in somewhere, but always disappointing to receive a rejection (or promise of one) when it seemed like good news was possible, if not likely!

I really hope that no news is good news for you. thanks for the congratulations and GOOD LUCK, i'll be sending positive vibes your way. :)

Well hopefully it's good news for you all! Mine was bad news, but I wouldn't go to Minnesota now if they paid me a million dollars.

Ha! I'm starting to feel that way about a few of my programs, though maybe for a million... ;)

I'm only a little irritated because I talked to a lot of faculty there (a lot! over the phone! personally!) who all convinced me that the fit with their programs was excellent and that I should apply to THREE of their departments to increase my chances. I ended up only applying to two, but now I'm glad I didn't apply to the third one only to get rejected a third time. I wasn't too keen on Minnesota at first, but the faculty "sold" their institution to me, and it just seems like they were trying to garner more application fees now.

I did write the grad directors asking for feedback on my application materials, so we'll see what, or if, they reply.

Edited by coffeem8

I'm only a little irritated because I talked to a lot of faculty there (a lot! over the phone! personally!) who all convinced me that the fit with their programs was excellent and that I should apply to THREE of their departments to increase my chances. I ended up only applying to two, but now I'm glad I didn't apply to the third one only to get rejected a third time. I wasn't too keen on Minnesota at first, but the faculty "sold" their institution to me, and it just seems like they were trying to recruit applicants now.

I did write the grad directors asking for feedback on my application materials, so we'll see what, or if, they reply.

WOW. That sucks, and I don't think there is any other way to convey that. Sorry you got pulled into that mess. It absolutely seems like they were recruiting you. I would be frustrated and angry, and really, really wishing I had those application fees back. On a brighter note, you've got acceptance letters from great programs, so hopefully you can focus on that!