American Studies 2011

ksgrad

Finally got a decision from MN. It was a rejection, but I expected as much at this point. I did not get a prompt to check the web site; it's just something I've been doing obsessively for weeks now ;) Congrats to anyone who received better news.

Woah, just got accepted by William and Mary. Four years of funding! After getting rejected from every school applied to last year, I never dreamed I'd be looking at three acceptances plus a wait list. At the moment my gut is with Stony Brook--I just feel like the program is a better fit for me overall--but getting another acceptance does give one the warm and fuzzies :D

Woah, just got accepted by William and Mary. Four years of funding! After getting rejected from every school applied to last year, I never dreamed I'd be looking at three acceptances plus a wait list. At the moment my gut is with Stony Brook--I just feel like the program is a better fit for me overall--but getting another acceptance does give one the warm and fuzzies :D

Fantastic news. Congrats!

Sorry to hear about the news from USC...I too had contact with several faculty there, and this was my 2nd time applying there. But, the bright side for me is that I am itching to leave California...so maybe all for a reason.

And the USC hatchet has come down for me, although I didn't want to necessarily move back to california, it's just...it doesn't feel good because it was one of the places I actually had contacts with multiple faculty...I don't know I'm just really really sad, because out of the 11 there was only 4 I really would have gone to. This was one of the four. Man. I am. Distraught......

Sorry to hear about the news from USC...I too had contact with several faculty there, and this was my 2nd time applying there. But, the bright side for me is that I am itching to leave California...so maybe all for a reason.

Yeah im already on the east coast at nyu, and I wasn't itching to move back to california but...you know the 'ouchies' of rejections is always lingering

Hello all,

I apologize for bringing up USC again, but I still haven't received ANY contact from them and I'm a little afraid to email them myself. For those who have received decisions, did the decision come just by email? Was the status of your application on the site changed from the usual "submitted" at all?

Should I just bite the bullet and email them and ask what's up? They're the only one of my three schools that have made no contact with me and it's starting to make me anxious.

Hello all,

I apologize for bringing up USC again, but I still haven't received ANY contact from them and I'm a little afraid to email them myself. For those who have received decisions, did the decision come just by email? Was the status of your application on the site changed from the usual "submitted" at all?

Should I just bite the bullet and email them and ask what's up? They're the only one of my three schools that have made no contact with me and it's starting to make me anxious.

I got an e-mail

I'd give them a call or email. I'm pretty sure they called all the accepted applicants (and a few weeks ago at that), but not sure if/how they waitlist.

Hello all,

Hey StlLiz - Have you heard anything from the department at Kansas? I emailed almost two weeks ago with questions about funding, admitted student weekend, and contacting current grads. I haven't heard anything. It looks like you're probably headed in another direction, but curious if you had any news. Thanks!

I got an email too. And, I'm pretty sure that at that point my status still read "submitted."

Hello all,

Nope, no news here. I'll let you know if I hear anything!

Hey StlLiz - Have you heard anything from the department at Kansas? I emailed almost two weeks ago with questions about funding, admitted student weekend, and contacting current grads. I haven't heard anything. It looks like you're probably headed in another direction, but curious if you had any news. Thanks!

Does anyone want to claim the Harvard acceptance for history of American civilization? First of all, major congrats. Second, did they call you because of confusion over your postal address, or are they giving up the postal acceptances this year?

By the way, my envy is large enough that I may kidnap you and take your place...

Hi All,

I don't know if anyone else applied to the American Studies program at Utah (it's out of their English department), but I saw an update on the Lit pages that acceptance news won't go out until next week at the earliest -- sounds like the poster spoke directly to the grad chair. Just fyi...

Has everyone that applied to Minnesota heard back yet? I've received neither update on my application page nor email.

Thanks,

Greg

Yes, they only extended four admissions offers this year due to drastically reduced funding. if you haven't heard yet it likely means you are rejected. you can definitely contact them-- the graduate administrator told me that all applicants could expect to hear by mid february and that if you hadn't heard by last week, to call them.

You might also be on the waitlist.

Edited by coffeem8

Yes, they only extended four admissions offers this year due to drastically reduced funding. if you haven't heard yet it likely means you are rejected. you can definitely contact them-- the graduate administrator told me that all applicants could expect to hear by mid february and that if you hadn't heard by last week, to call them.

You might also be on the waitlist.

I think it's more likely you're on waitlist. Otherwise they would reject you flat out. Plus, it's probably better to think positive.

I think it's more likely you're on waitlist. Otherwise they would reject you flat out. Plus, it's probably better to think positive.

The only reason I said that is because the grad director and the administrator told me everyone who had been accepted and waitlisted had been notified. ETA: Actually, looking at the email from the grad director, it only says that everyone has been notified. So who knows. However, on the phone the admin said that ALL decisions had already been released last week, and that EVERYONE was supposed to hear by the end of last week. She hinted very strongly that all the waitlists and admits had been notified when I called.

I wasn't trying to be mean.

Edited by coffeem8

ruh roh there's been an acceptance to brown today..........

I posted the Brown acceptance. Just got an email directing me to my online application about two hours ago. Funding seems pretty good, but there was no mention of applicants/admits, etc. Good luck to those still waiting!

Does anyone know anything else about Harvard's History of American Civilization Program? Seen an acceptance via phone and a waitlist via email -- so are snail mail notices out and anyone who hasn't been called/emailed is out? Just wondering...any mail has to travel across the ocean so although it still seems unlikely, I'm wondering if it's worth holding out just a little bit of hope...