NSERC PGS D / CGS D / CGS M 2024-2024

RickyZ

Posted (edited)

Where do you see that it's done?

Edit: NVM didnt see other post. So... PGS-D worth more in future years?

Edited by RickyZ

I don't suppose that increased amount would be for the 2024-2025 competition? Would the value get increased or we'd be out of luck?

10 minutes ago, RickyZ said:

I don't suppose that increased amount would be for the 2024-2025 competition? Would the value get increased or we'd be out of luck?

Nobody knows yet, hopefully the tri councils give some information on that soon. If hypothetically someone was awarded a PGS-D this year, and this increase only starts for people who receive the award next year and on, then it may even be in that persons best interest to decline the award and reapply next year. $21,000 a year for 3 years for PGS-D would be a total of $63,000, but $40,000 a year for the new doctoral award for two years would be $80,000………and it will be less competitive moving forward because they are increasing the number of awards. This current round is the last time I’m eligible so we’ll see. I would be devastated if I got a PGS-D this year for $21,000 a year when next year it’s increasing to $40,000…

43 minutes ago, fridgezipper said:

It was 25th last year, I’m betting 30th though they’re gonna make us wait this time 

They're really taking their sweet time 🥲. This should legally be considered torture...

Edited by hyperboa

11 hours ago, RickyZ said:

I heard it would begin for the 2024-2025 year.... so it would apply to people who currently have applications in?

april 30 could not come any sooner...

I cant post a link but on the support our science Twitter page they confirmed via a member of parliament that scholarship increases will also apply to current award holders and those who receive the awards this year. Excellent news and probably a reliable source. 

Does anyone know what is going to happen to this year's Vanier winners? Found out yesterday I received the scholarship and was very thrilled and shocked. I would still be grateful to receive the reduced funding, but it was a little disheartening and whiplash inducing to be told yesterday you received an award worth a particular amount and not 24 hours later find out it may be reduced by 1/5th. 

1 hour ago, franknhank said:

Does anyone know what is going to happen to this year's Vanier winners? Found out yesterday I received the scholarship and was very thrilled and shocked. I would still be grateful to receive the reduced funding, but it was a little disheartening and whiplash inducing to be told yesterday you received an award worth a particular amount and not 24 hours later find out it may be reduced by 1/5th. 

I dont know, but congratulations!

1 hour ago, franknhank said:

I don’t think anybody knows yet, but on the support our science Twitter page they say they reached out to members of parliament for clarification on exactly this, still waiting for an answer. Would suck to lose $10,000 a year of funding for sure, but worst case scenario you’ll definitely still get $40,000 a year. You’ll just have to wait and see for more details unfortunately 

So, I emailed NSERC, and they said that the results for the CGS-D and PGS-D would be made available by the 30th but that there was a 'great chance' that the results would be released before that. Just incase anyone wanted to know...

Edited by hyperboa

2 hours ago, hyperboa said:

So, I emailed NSERC, and they said that the results for the CGS-D and PGS-D would be made available by the 30th but that there was a 'great chance' that the results would be released before that. Just incase anyone wanted to know...

And by “before that” they mean April 29th 

On 4/17/2024 at 10:45 PM, franknhank said:

According to Support Our Science's FAQ who reached out to Minister Champagne's office:

> I currently have a Vanier award, will it decrease to 40k?

> The initial response to this question is that Vanier will be phased out but those who currently hold the award, including those who just received it this funding cycle, will continue to get paid at the same level (50k) until the end of their award.

Somewhat related to this, I applied to the doctoral award through my institution and got news in Nov 2023 that my application was forwarded to the national level. When I logged onto the portal today to see if it was updated (as results will be updated soon), I noticed my application was marked as "received". The portal says  it should be "approved" if submitted by an institution or "received" if submitted directly. Does anyone know if there was an error with my application or something? This is my first time applying. 

17 minutes ago, Alicia17 said:

Somewhat related to this, I applied to the doctoral award through my institution and got news in Nov 2023 that my application was forwarded to the national level. When I logged onto the portal today to see if it was updated (as results will be updated soon), I noticed my application was marked as "received". The portal says  it should be "approved" if submitted by an institution or "received" if submitted directly. Does anyone know if there was an error with my application or something? This is my first time applying. 

It's almost certainly fine. People are on this forum every year freaking out because their application isn't in the portal or says something weird, it's always fine. That portal is not where the results will be released anyways so don't bother checking it. You'll get an email from NSERC with login information from a different portal when the results are released. 

Edit: I checked mine and both of them from previous years also say received, so don't worry about it

Edited by fridgezipper