NSERC PGS D / CGS D / CGS M 2024-2024

RickyZ

2 minutes ago, fridgezipper said:

It's almost certainly fine. People are on this forum every year freaking out because their application isn't in the portal or says something weird, it's always fine. That portal is not where the results will be released anyways so don't bother checking it. You'll get an email from NSERC with login information from a different portal when the results are released. 

That's good to know, thank you! I did not realize it was a different portal.

13 hours ago, hyperboa said:

Sooooo just how much does NSERC care about grades? Asking for a friend...

For the doctoral awards, its 50/50 for research and "other". A portion of the "other" relevant experience, etc., includes transcripts. For the masters award, 50% is for "academic excellence", a part of which is based on transcripts. More info on this in under the "selections criteria" portion of the main page for the respective awards. 

Been trying real hard to not think about it but I fear the next week will just be me consistently on edge waiting for an email to come through. So might as well chime in on the thread! :)

9 minutes ago, cooki_e said:

Hi everyone

Any news about NSERC 2024 results?

When I emailed NSERC last week, they said the results would be out by the 30th, but there was a 'great chance' that they would be out before that, whatever the hell that means... 

53 minutes ago, cooki_e said:

Is there anyone who is applying 2nd time to NSERC?

Well I applied to CGS M... and did not get it. Of course CGS M is stupid competitive.

Applying to CGS/PGS D this time around.

I understand quota is only for number of applications an institute can forward to National competition but still can someone comment how much chances are there to get the award?

23 minutes ago, cooki_e said:

I understand quota is only for number of applications an institute can forward to National competition but still can someone comment how much chances are there to get the award?

Success rate for forwarded applications is ~40%, depending on the committee and year.  

Hi everyone. I received an email from my University's Awards office this morning congratulating me on receiving an NSERC Doctoral award! I haven't received anything from NSERCs end but looks like at least administrative results are being sent out in some cases. It also doesn't specify between CGSD/PGSD, but might also be a result of the new set-up with budget 2024. 

Good luck everybody!!

Edited by liddibee

33 minutes ago, liddibee said:

Hi everyone. I received an email from my University's Awards office this morning congratulating me on receiving an NSERC Doctoral award! I haven't received anything from NSERCs end but looks like at least administrative results are being sent out in some cases. It also doesn't specify between CGSD/PGSD, but might also be a result of the new set-up with budget 2024. 

Good luck everybody!!

Congrats omg!!! What institution are you at?
Fingers crossed!

Edited by sharingxnn

19 minutes ago, sharingxnn said:

Congrats omg!!! What institution are you at?
Fingers crossed!

Thank you! I am at the University of New Brunswick. 

Applying directly is the same as with an institution. The only difference is that institutions have their own quota for applications that they can forward to NSERC, so they do a pre-screen and forward the best applications to maximize the number of awards they get. Applying directly guarantees that your application will be reviewed by NSERC.

2 minutes ago, PolyParl-124 said:

Applying directly is the same as with an institution. The only difference is that institutions have their own quota for applications that they can forward to NSERC, so they do a pre-screen and forward the best applications to maximize the number of awards they get. Applying directly guarantees that your application will be reviewed by NSERC.

awesome thank you! 

18 minutes ago, sharingxnn said:

I applied directly to the agency as I'm not enrolled in a program until September. is it more competitive when you go through this route of application for the scholarship?

Not really "more competitive". It's just that the university will forward the "stronger applications" but if you're application is competitive then its competitive. You just skip the university's filtering step.

2 hours ago, liddibee said:

Good luck everybody!!

Congratulations! I imagine the awards will still be CGSD/PGSD when awarded because the new budget is not ratified yet and won't get ratified for at least another few weeks. So NSERC probably can't give us an award letter with the new amounts just yet.

1 hour ago, RickyZ said:

Congratulations! I imagine the awards will still be CGSD/PGSD when awarded because the new budget is not ratified yet and won't get ratified for at least another few weeks. So NSERC probably can't give us an award letter with the new amounts just yet.

Thank you! And yeah that makes sense. Seems like it's all in their weird limbo right now until its all ratified. My Dean of Graduate Studies wants to meet do discuss financial stuff so hoping he might have some more clarity on it, but I think most people are unsure how it is proceeding in the coming months. 

3 hours ago, liddibee said:

Good luck everybody!!

Hi, 

I have received the PGS-D last year at the University of Alberta. I have received the same thing you did from the university and at night of the same day or next day (not entirely sure), I received the email notification of results from the NSERC. This is the usual thing and not being done this year because of the budget, it is how they sometimes operate.

I am here now to see what will you guys receive, whether it is the CGS-D/PGS-D or the an NSERC based on the new numbers from the new budget.

I wish everyone good luck!

9 minutes ago, hexane said:

I just received an e-mail from my university saying that the results should be coming out from NSERC today and tomorrow! The wait is almost over! 

What uni are you from?