NSERC PGS D / CGS D / CGS M 2024-2024

RickyZ

21 hours ago, psycpolarbear said:

I am seriously wondering about the updated funding in the federal budget. To the point that I would consider turning down PGS-D and trying again next year for CGS-D. But I'm not sure if that is a smart gamble.

My thoughts exactly. I accepted the PGS-D as it is a gamble to decline in hopes of winning next year though. I hope they do update the PGS-D amount once the new funding comes into effect. I would hope they would, because if they didn’t that would mean that new CGS-M holders would be making more than us…

Edited by Sportboi
Clarification

21 hours ago, psycpolarbear said:

I am seriously wondering about the updated funding in the federal budget. To the point that I would consider turning down PGS-D and trying again next year for CGS-D. But I'm not sure if that is a smart gamble.

Why on earth would you do that? Both awards are going up to $40,000 per annum, assuming the budget passes. There is no reason to turn down a PGS-D and wait. 

6 minutes ago, borylator said:

Why on earth would you do that? Both awards are going up to $40,000 per annum, assuming the budget passes. There is no reason to turn down a PGS-D and wait. 

I think they meant if PGS-D holders starting this year were locked into the 21k/year instead of being bumped up following the new funding increase. Which I doubt would happen. I agree that accepting your PGS-D this year is absolutely the way to go.

3 minutes ago, Sportboi said:

I think they meant if PGS-D holders starting this year were locked into the 21k/year instead of being bumped up following the new funding increase. Which I doubt would happen. I agree that accepting your PGS-D this year is absolutely the way to go.

The minister's office has confirmed that current award holders will be bumped up to the new numbers once the budget comes into effect. 🙂 

1 hour ago, Sportboi said:

If you check the Support our Science twitter page, a Member of Parliament has confirmed the increase will apply to people who receive the award this year, so definitely accept the award. Caveat of course is that this is politics and all of these budget promises could be undone when we inevitably get a conservative government who is campaigning on reducing spending elected next year...

I am wanting to start my award May 1st. I already emailed NSERC my start date and got confirmation and access to sharepoint. My institutional rep has not yet signed the first installment form. Does anyone know what happens if it is submitted after May 1st? Would I be required to push the award to Sept 1st?

18 hours ago, Alicia17 said:

I am wanting to start my award May 1st. I already emailed NSERC my start date and got confirmation and access to sharepoint. My institutional rep has not yet signed the first installment form. Does anyone know what happens if it is submitted after May 1st? Would I be required to push the award to Sept 1st?

The start dates offer says anywhere between May 1 2024-January 1 2025 so even in the worst case scenario, I can't imagine they'd make you push right to September 1.

My guess is that if you say May 1, you'll just get back pay from that point. I submitted mine for a May 1 start date, but my awards office said because of the time to process first pay would likely be around start of June, but that I would be back-paid to that May 1 date.

First time going through this, so can't say for certain, but I don't see it being an issue and they'll just back pay to May 1. Its the same amount of money for them, it just might be that you are without for a few weeks (which obviously isnt ideal either). 

2 minutes ago, liddibee said:

The start dates offer says anywhere between May 1 2024-January 1 2025 so even in the worst case scenario, I can't imagine they'd make you push right to September 1.

My guess is that if you say May 1, you'll just get back pay from that point. I submitted mine for a May 1 start date, but my awards office said because of the time to process first pay would likely be around start of June, but that I would be back-paid to that May 1 date.

First time going through this, so can't say for certain, but I don't see it being an issue and they'll just back pay to May 1. Its the same amount of money for them, it just might be that you are without for a few weeks (which obviously isnt ideal either). 

Thank you for the info! My award office has been radio silence since November lol. But it is good to know it can be retroactive. Hopefully we receive it sooner than later!

Submitted my instalment form to NSERC yesterday and my student account was updated this morning with the award added. FYI it looks like for those starting summer they will receive the old amount. No news about increases yet so fingers crossed that the new budget updates will be reflected in the F24 semester.

First time poster here, congrats to everyone who got an award! I have a question that perhaps somebody knows the answer to. I was awarded a CGS-D but accepted a PGS-D since I am enrolled in a PhD program in the USA. If I were to go on exchange as a visiting student at a Canadian university for a semester or two, does anyone know if I would be eligible for the higher CGS-D level of funding during the exchange? To anyone wondering, I accepted my award on April 30th and heard back the next day after indicating I wanted my award to start on May 1. 

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, MathOnly said:

First time poster here, congrats to everyone who got an award! I have a question that perhaps somebody knows the answer to. I was awarded a CGS-D but accepted a PGS-D since I am enrolled in a PhD program in the USA. If I were to go on exchange as a visiting student at a Canadian university for a semester or two, does anyone know if I would be eligible for the higher CGS-D level of funding during the exchange? To anyone wondering, I accepted my award on April 30th and heard back the next day after indicating I wanted my award to start on May 1. 

I don't think so as from my understanding I think the payments are based on the explicit program you're enrolled in (which is your USA PhD program), but I'm not an expert so it's probably in your best interest to ask NSERC directly as they should know better.

Edited by delightfullyrotund

Hi everyone. Just wanted to send a quick note that I had asked for my ranking/scores after confirming enrolment dates and after about week they sent me a file with the details. 

Basically you get your mark /6 for the two categories, and then your rank out of however many candidates in your committee. 

On 5/1/2024 at 11:12 PM, psychmem said:

has anyone accepted the award but did not get a reply from NSERC yet? i accepted on april 30 midnight

I haven't heard anything yet. I accepted April 29 in the afternoon

20 hours ago, aa12 said:

@liddibeethats super helpful! what email did you reach out to regarding your ranking/score in your committee? was it schol@nserc-crsng.gc.ca?

Thanks!

I had just replied back to the program officer who followed up with my award acceptance email, but I would guess that address would be the best place to contact! 

On 5/2/2024 at 10:46 PM, liddibee said:

Hi everyone. Just wanted to send a quick note that I had asked for my ranking/scores after confirming enrolment dates and after about week they sent me a file with the details. 

Basically you get your mark /6 for the two categories, and then your rank out of however many candidates in your committee. 

Which email you used for your score inquiry?

On 5/13/2024 at 8:54 PM, cooki_e said:

Which email you used for your score inquiry?

I am also wondering this. I responded to the email I originally received with a request for my score but I didn't get a response.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/16/2024 at 10:38 AM, melodyvine said:

I am also wondering this. I responded to the email I originally received with a request for my score but I didn't get a response.

It took them roughly two weeks to respond to my request. They didn't send an email within those two weeks to acknowledge my request. How long have you been waiting?

Regarding changes to the new budget (if anyone is still wondering), I had the chance during a conference to ask an NSERC program officer about whether the new award values would be reflected in upcoming years for current award holders, they said they don't know yet...

On 5/27/2024 at 10:18 AM, Alicia17 said:

It took them roughly two weeks to respond to my request. They didn't send an email within those two weeks to acknowledge my request. How long have you been waiting?

It was over a month ago so they probably just ignored it. Oh well!

Does anyone know when we can make a social media post about receiving the award? I remember reading in the document that we have to wait until NSERC makes the announcement but I don't know when or where they will do that. My program wants to make an official announcement/congratulation/story on it but I didn't want to violate any NSERC policy. I've seen a few posts on linkedin as well but wasn't sure if I could.

• 3 weeks later...