GoatKidd Posted March 15, 2025 Posted March 15, 2025 Has anyone heard back yet from WashU for Poetry?
glowingbrightly Posted March 15, 2025 Posted March 15, 2025 Just now, GoatKidd said: Has anyone heard back yet from WashU for Poetry? there are a couple waitlists for washu poetry on draft, not sure about acceptances
GoatKidd Posted March 15, 2025 Posted March 15, 2025 On 3/13/2025 at 7:12 PM, Jane Wyman said: My turn for copium ... do we think that Hunter and WashU are utterly done waitlisting, accepting, etc? I applied to WashU and haven't heard back yet. Anxiously pacing all week.
Magnolia Electric Co Posted March 15, 2025 Posted March 15, 2025 8 minutes ago, GoatKidd said: I applied to WashU and haven't heard back yet. Anxiously pacing all week. I believe someone from this forum was accepted for poetry a little while ago, and today I got waitlisted for poetry (as did some other folks on draft). Based on their email, it seemed like they are likely done sending offers/waitlists - but I don't know anything for sure Jane Wyman 1
Tuxedocat Posted March 15, 2025 Posted March 15, 2025 32 minutes ago, GoatKidd said: Has anyone heard back yet from WashU for Poetry? 30 minutes ago, glowingbrightly said: there are a couple waitlists for washu poetry on draft, not sure about acceptances I was accepted to WashU for poetry on March 1! I mentioned my acceptance both here and on the draft spreadsheet but it was a while ago so easily missed if you weren’t checking that day. Seems that was the day poetry people were notified about acceptances for WashU. Visiting day is next week and I was sent emails shortly after March 1st with details about visiting day that seemed to have been sent to all accepted MFA students or at least poets. So I imagine all acceptances have been done for a while. Although, it seems waitlists for poetry have been coming out today/recently.
GoatKidd Posted March 15, 2025 Posted March 15, 2025 31 minutes ago, Tuxedocat said: I was accepted to WashU for poetry on March 1! I mentioned my acceptance both here and on the draft spreadsheet but it was a while ago so easily missed if you weren’t checking that day. Seems that was the day poetry people were notified about acceptances for WashU. Visiting day is next week and I was sent emails shortly after March 1st with details about visiting day that seemed to have been sent to all accepted MFA students or at least poets. So I imagine all acceptances have been done for a while. Although, it seems waitlists for poetry have been coming out today/recently. Ah, congratulations! I reached out to the program on March 4 and they said they were awaiting approval from the college to send out notifications. I’ll assume he meant rejections and that since I haven’t heard yet I didn’t get in. Thanks for letting me know, wishing you all the best with the program! Tuxedocat 1
P i e r r o t Posted March 15, 2025 Posted March 15, 2025 (edited) 3 hours ago, lakeysuperior said: So many strange feelings are involved in this process. I am unsure how to feel especially considering I am not sure if I'll try again after this year. This shortly after my undergrad felt like the right time for my life to do this because I haven't established myself in a career yet. But, who knows! Maybe there will be a right time down the line. I feel you. I had the same confused feeling about reapplying last year at this time. My advice (others' may differ) would be to focus only on your writing for a while and don't think for a second about the MFAs until at least September. There's no need: you'll be able to assemble everything much faster the second time, in my experience, assuming you've got polished writing in the desk drawer. Also—and this is the more important point—you can do this at any time. I am 37 and have a Harvard PhD in another field and lived an entire life, it seemed, before ever applying to MFAs. You'll find this story actually isn't that uncommon. All you can do is what's right for you now. The future will work itself out—because you will do then what is right for you then. Edited March 15, 2025 by P i e r r o t cooliejulie86 1
Hjanep Posted March 15, 2025 Posted March 15, 2025 (edited) 11 minutes ago, P i e r r o t said: I feel you. I had the same confused feeling about reapplying last year at this time. My advice (others' may differ) would be to focus only on your writing for a while and don't think for a second about the MFAs until at least September. There's no need: you'll be able to assemble everything much faster the second time, in my experience, assuming you've got polished writing in the desk drawer. Also—and this is the more important point—you can do this at any time. I am 37 and have a Harvard PhD in another field and lived an entire life, it seemed, before ever applying to MFAs. You'll find this story actually isn't that uncommon. All you can do is what's right for you now. The future will work itself out—because you will do then what is right for you then. Yep I’m also 37, have an MBA and two little kids and am already on a second career. I think you’ll realize at some point where you want to focus your time. Life is long. This is my second round applying and it was easier in a lot of ways this time around. Knowing what to expect was really helpful and allowed me to be much more systematic with apps. Edited March 15, 2025 by Hjanep P i e r r o t and cooliejulie86 2
glowingbrightly Posted March 15, 2025 Posted March 15, 2025 16 minutes ago, P i e r r o t said: I feel you. I had the same confused feeling about reapplying last year at this time. My advice (others' may differ) would be to focus only on your writing for a while and don't think for a second about the MFAs until at least September. There's no need: you'll be able to assemble everything much faster the second time, in my experience, assuming you've got polished writing in the desk drawer. Also—and this is the more important point—you can do this at any time. I am 37 and have a Harvard PhD in another field and lived an entire life, it seemed, before ever applying to MFAs. You'll find this story actually isn't that uncommon. All you can do is what's right for you now. The future will work itself out—because you will do then what is right for you then. 4 minutes ago, Hjanep said: Yep I’m also 37, have an MBA and two little kids and am already on a second career. I think you’ll realize at some point where you want to focus your time. Life is long. This is my second round applying and it was easier in a lot of ways this time around. Knowing what to expect was really helpful and allowed me to be much more systematic with apps. jeez leave some advanced degrees for the rest of us 😅 P i e r r o t 1
P i e r r o t Posted March 15, 2025 Posted March 15, 2025 (edited) I see the Irvine rejections are going out, so this may be too-little-too-late to be of any help, but a few details about the situation for anyone lurking who needs to know. I talked to the program director on the phone today: extremely generous conversation, really grateful to hear from her, not least because most places don't reach out so intimately to waitlisters. 230ish applications, 5 fiction acceptances. 3 have accepted the offer, 2 have not yet and both have other offers. Not sure how long the waitlist is, but it is ranked. They used to accept 6 in fiction (website still says as much) but funding cuts mean 5 these days: she seemed genuinely upset about this. My impression is that they rarely pull from the waitlist, though obviously not impossible. Unfortunately it does seem nearly impossible, however, that multiples on the fiction waitlist will get off it this year, given the particulars. Would love to be wrong, of course. Good vibes all around—will make the (inevitable?) letdown all the worse. Brutal! Edited March 15, 2025 by P i e r r o t poet-hopeful, Hjanep and glowingbrightly 3
Hjanep Posted March 15, 2025 Posted March 15, 2025 Just now, glowingbrightly said: jeez leave some advanced degrees for the rest of us 😅 Just a bunch of people who love school haha glowingbrightly 1
P i e r r o t Posted March 15, 2025 Posted March 15, 2025 8 minutes ago, Hjanep said: Just a bunch of people who love school haha This! Real life blows 14 minutes ago, glowingbrightly said: jeez leave some advanced degrees for the rest of us 😅 Also, turns out a Harvard PhD isn't that useful if you march right off that stage, diploma in hand, and then immediately quit your field lol glowingbrightly 1
exvat Posted March 15, 2025 Posted March 15, 2025 1 minute ago, P i e r r o t said: This! Real life blows Also, turns out a Harvard PhD isn't that useful if you march right off that stage, diploma in hand, and then immediately quit your field lol It me in 2009 walking with my MS in chemistry 💀 P i e r r o t 1
rapunzel Posted March 15, 2025 Posted March 15, 2025 out of curiosity, people who've done workshops with other mfa applicants, did you see any correlation between the people who've been accepted to one or more programs and their age (years of life experience since undergrad)? (asking for fiction but open to discussion about any genre!)
tomat0tomat0 Posted March 15, 2025 Posted March 15, 2025 doubt we'll hear anything on saturday but hope brown / rutgers-camden decide to speak anyway 🤌 those are my only 2 left (excluding 6 soft rejections (still!)) gradschoolpspspsps, everything bagel lover and Hjanep 3
zaira Posted March 15, 2025 Posted March 15, 2025 Looks like another fiction acceptance went out for Boston yesterday (not on the Draft sheet but on the page itself). Wonder if they're finished calling folks or if they're gonna extend it into the weekend/early next week?
Tinky C. Clown Posted March 15, 2025 Posted March 15, 2025 12 hours ago, Hjanep said: Yep I’m also 37, have an MBA and two little kids and am already on a second career. I think you’ll realize at some point where you want to focus your time. Life is long. This is my second round applying and it was easier in a lot of ways this time around. Knowing what to expect was really helpful and allowed me to be much more systematic with apps. big relate. last year i kept track of my apps in the notes app of my computer. this year i had a real spreadsheet where i linked websites, portals, statements for each. obviously has nothing to do with the quality of my writing but it made a huge difference Hjanep 1
exvat Posted March 15, 2025 Posted March 15, 2025 1 hour ago, Tinky C. Clown said: big relate. last year i kept track of my apps in the notes app of my computer. this year i had a real spreadsheet where i linked websites, portals, statements for each. obviously has nothing to do with the quality of my writing but it made a huge difference Spreadsheet with notes and such was clutch for me this cycle too. Made a big difference from my rather slapdash approach 7 years ago. (Getting my shit together personally helped too, but shout-out to Excel)
nauseated Posted March 15, 2025 Posted March 15, 2025 My cycle is pretty much over - only waiting on Brown which I'm pretty sure is a soft rejection. But I just wanted to say I'm insanely grateful for this community. I applied in a bit of a panic. I was a few months out of undergrad, jobless, feeling like I was wasting time, and had built it up in my head that a masters degree from outside my country is the only option, for prestige and qualification reasons. I don't think I think that way anymore. I'm 23, and I'm nowhere near the writer I want to be, and I highly doubt I'm ready for an MFA either. I have a job working in academic administration, and it's nice and slow, even if I may not like it much anymore. All of this combined with the general hijinks around the Trump admin and some unis turning into cute little fascism cafes has really made me question whether the pinnacle of success lies in moving westwards. Don't think I would have thought of these things if it hadn't been for this place - so thank you all, for sharing your triumphs and hesitations - it has helped even if you didn't mean for it to. I've been rethinking some things. I've dipped my toes into sports writing for the past couple of years, so maybe I might look towards getting a journalism degree here at home. Keep writing nevertheless. Trying to not be too harsh on myself as someone who is fairly young and bound to make mistakes at this stage in her career - not sure while I'm sharing all this but it's a strange and tentative place to be in. But I think I'll be okay. As will you all zaira, gradschoolpspspsps, Catpaw and 11 others 14
glowingbrightly Posted March 15, 2025 Posted March 15, 2025 29 minutes ago, nauseated said: My cycle is pretty much over - only waiting on Brown which I'm pretty sure is a soft rejection. But I just wanted to say I'm insanely grateful for this community. I applied in a bit of a panic. I was a few months out of undergrad, jobless, feeling like I was wasting time, and had built it up in my head that a masters degree from outside my country is the only option, for prestige and qualification reasons. I don't think I think that way anymore. I'm 23, and I'm nowhere near the writer I want to be, and I highly doubt I'm ready for an MFA either. I have a job working in academic administration, and it's nice and slow, even if I may not like it much anymore. All of this combined with the general hijinks around the Trump admin and some unis turning into cute little fascism cafes has really made me question whether the pinnacle of success lies in moving westwards. Don't think I would have thought of these things if it hadn't been for this place - so thank you all, for sharing your triumphs and hesitations - it has helped even if you didn't mean for it to. I've been rethinking some things. I've dipped my toes into sports writing for the past couple of years, so maybe I might look towards getting a journalism degree here at home. Keep writing nevertheless. Trying to not be too harsh on myself as someone who is fairly young and bound to make mistakes at this stage in her career - not sure while I'm sharing all this but it's a strange and tentative place to be in. But I think I'll be okay. As will you all I see a lot of people talking about soft rejections lately, I think mainly because of how stressful the wait can be, and I just wanna encourage anyone who thinks like that to try to be a bit easier on themselves. I don’t think most schools operate that way and Brown in particular is definitely still up in the air. It may be dauntingly selective but we are still in this! bucket, Jane Wyman, Hjanep and 6 others 8 1
Chex Posted March 15, 2025 Posted March 15, 2025 (edited) On 3/10/2025 at 3:04 AM, curfew said: woah i got into Iowa for poetry badaboom badabing This just struck me now, and I don't think I gave it the appropriate amount of reaction. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!! 🎉 🎉 🎊🎊🥳🥳 Been following your journey and I'm so thrilled for you! Hoping Iowa turns out to be a wonderful place for you. Also wanted to give a shout out to @nauseated. That was a very thoughtful post, and I'm glad you have some decent alternative options this year. Whatever happens, please keep your fire burning, keep writing and hopefully someday some of us here will read your work. I wish you only the very, very best. ✨ Edited March 15, 2025 by Chex HalBear, nauseated, curfew and 4 others 7
misssalem Posted March 15, 2025 Posted March 15, 2025 3 hours ago, glowingbrightly said: I see a lot of people talking about soft rejections lately, I think mainly because of how stressful the wait can be, and I just wanna encourage anyone who thinks like that to try to be a bit easier on themselves. I don’t think most schools operate that way and Brown in particular is definitely still up in the air. It may be dauntingly selective but we are still in this! I needed this! Thank you! glowingbrightly 1
backtooskewl Posted March 15, 2025 Posted March 15, 2025 On 1/13/2025 at 6:04 AM, bibsy said: oh, so cool to see someone else here with a background in games and comics! i also applied totally last minute this cycle and am letting the chips fall where they may. i have the samples i have, and if they're too genre-influenced for a program, welp, so be it. best of luck with the apps! it's 3 am and i'm actively procrastinating on my final two (houston and UC riverside) Let's be friends! Send me a DM if you want to chat about it all!
backtooskewl Posted March 16, 2025 Posted March 16, 2025 (edited) On 1/11/2025 at 11:11 PM, prufrock_ said: I agree with everything Mystic_Sunshine said. Most deadlines have just about passed, nearly all are in mid to late december. A small handful are still open, but that window is closing very quickly. I'd recommend delaying your apps until next round if possible; that's what i did when i was in a similar situation as yours three rounds ago. Applications will open up around september 2025, for fall 2026 admission. Ohmygoodness. September feels so far away. There's not programs that are taking students in sooner? This might be a dumb question. I have a hard time keeping track of grad school timing while I'm still running my life. Also! So I was getting really close to having my materials ready to apply to the one school I knew I would apply for, however it was my two references that became the obstacle. Both of them were professors I haven't spoken to in about ten years. One replied and said they were too busy to write a recc for me at the start of the year, but were happy to supply one for the next application cycle. The other didn't respond at all. I had to hunt down her latest university contact as she had moved schools. Is this common? Should I try again with her or move on? I guess the good news is this will give me time to research schools and early apply to a bunch of good ones. Oh. One other question. Still a gradcafe newb. Now that app season is over, should I be talking about this on a new thread or? Edited March 16, 2025 by backtooskewl last question added
prufrock_ Posted March 16, 2025 Posted March 16, 2025 6 minutes ago, backtooskewl said: Ohmygoodness. September feels so far away. There's not programs that are taking students in sooner? This might be a dumb question. I have a hard time keeping track of grad school timing while I'm still running my life. Also! So I was getting really close to having my materials ready to apply to the one school I knew I would apply for, however it was my two references that became the obstacle. Both of them were professors I haven't spoken to in about ten years. One replied and said they were too busy to write a recc for me at the start of the year, but were happy to supply one for the next application cycle. The other didn't respond at all. I had to hunt down her latest university contact as she had moved schools. Is this common? Should I try again with her or move on? I guess the good news is this will give me time to research schools and early apply to a bunch of good ones. Oh. One other question. Still a gradcafe newb. Now that app season is over, should I be talking about this on a new thread or? >There's not programs that are taking students in sooner? none that i'm aware of! if you're looking at funded programs, then they only admit in the fall semester. Which means yeah, doing applications in sept-december, then waiting 4-5 months to hear back, then you'd start in fall. that said, i think 'non funded' part time programs are rolling applications, but i don't recommend those. > One replied and said they were too busy to write a recc for me at the start of the year, but were happy to supply one for the next application cycle. The other didn't respond at all. I had to hunt down her latest university contact as she had moved schools. Is this common? Should I try again with her or move on? Yeah, you'll want to give a few months notice when asking for a letter of recommendation. Most schools ask for three. I had good luck joining some legit writers workshops and asking the leader to write a rec to fill in that 3rd spot. >Oh. One other question. Still a gradcafe newb. Now that app season is over, should I be talking about this on a new thread or? App season isn't over quiet yet! Talking here's still good. We still have a whole month until the dust settles. (April 15th is the deadline for most people to say yes/no, so there's a lot of waitlist movement up until then). backtooskewl, everything bagel lover and glowingbrightly 3
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now