curfew Posted March 16, 2025 Author Posted March 16, 2025 5 hours ago, Chex said: This just struck me now, and I don't think I gave it the appropriate amount of reaction. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!! π π πππ₯³π₯³ Been following your journey and I'm so thrilled for you! Hoping Iowa turns out to be a wonderful place for you. Oh man, @Chex.Thank you so very much for these warm words!!! That's so thoughtful of you to say! I went into this with an idea of getting into fiction programs and the only one which accepted me was a poetry program! I think it is something like fate; we will see. The administration in that state is doing some pretty necrotic things to their universities right now, especially with regards to funding... but for now we do what we can and appreciate what we have. Rooting for the bestest of luck on your pending applications and life in general!!!! Likewise I am following your journey, lantern lit in the dark. Jane Wyman and Chex 2
backtooskewl Posted March 16, 2025 Posted March 16, 2025 Thank you @prufrock_! So when is an appropriate time to hit up professors for recc letters again? and do you think the one who responded is a lost cause or that I should try them agian? How did you find writers workshops in your city? I'm in Philly and haven't thought to look for some here. I was actually considering starting my own this year.
Magnolia Electric Co Posted March 16, 2025 Posted March 16, 2025 I know none of us have actually been through an MFA before (in creative writing at least), but I was wondering if people have thoughts on how much teaching is too much teaching. Some of the programs I'm looking at have a 1/2 load, or even 2/2. I know many programs are just 1/1. Do folks think 1/2 would be too overwhelming to balance? And does it make a difference in workload if it's composition/rhetoric teaching vs. creative writing teaching?
KennyK Posted March 16, 2025 Posted March 16, 2025 When a program accepts you and says funding is pending, how long does it usually take before they update you? Is that something I have to check in with them about?
Mystic_Sunshine Posted March 16, 2025 Posted March 16, 2025 1 hour ago, Magnolia Electric Co said: I know none of us have actually been through an MFA before (in creative writing at least), but I was wondering if people have thoughts on how much teaching is too much teaching. Some of the programs I'm looking at have a 1/2 load, or even 2/2. I know many programs are just 1/1. Do folks think 1/2 would be too overwhelming to balance? And does it make a difference in workload if it's composition/rhetoric teaching vs. creative writing teaching? I'm in a funded MA program. So, I teach a 2/2. I've only ever taught rhet comp so I can't speak on your last question.Β 1. I think a lot of the manageability depends on the support your program gives you. If they have resources available and your primary responsibility is to just use the curriculum given to you, it is really fine. I think if I would not have had support though I would have potentially found it overwhelming.Β 2. Teaching eats as much time as you let it. So I schedule the time I dedicate to teaching.Β 3. It also depends on class sizes. I have more students this semester and grading takes me a lot longer than it did last semester.Β 4. Everything gets easier after you've done it once.Β I'd always give preference for a program (I think) that does 1/2 or 1/1 though just because writing time is valuable. I think more importantly, when your teaching starts is good to look at. I think not teaching in the first year or semester is extremely important because it gives you time to adjust.Β Β Mr. Scribblo, everything bagel lover and Jane Wyman 2 1
glowingbrightly Posted March 16, 2025 Posted March 16, 2025 3 hours ago, Magnolia Electric Co said: I know none of us have actually been through an MFA before (in creative writing at least), but I was wondering if people have thoughts on how much teaching is too much teaching. Some of the programs I'm looking at have a 1/2 load, or even 2/2. I know many programs are just 1/1. Do folks think 1/2 would be too overwhelming to balance? And does it make a difference in workload if it's composition/rhetoric teaching vs. creative writing teaching? honestly anything but 1/1 for a creative writing mfa sounds like a scam unless you are looking for a program specifically focused on teaching. and from talking with people I know, teaching comp is more draining than teaching creative writing because itβs less engaging and takes more energy away from thinking about your own practice, though this ofc varies in terms of both institutional leeway and support Jane Wyman and Mr. Scribblo 2
OctopusCactus Posted March 16, 2025 Posted March 16, 2025 15 hours ago, backtooskewl said: Also! So I was getting really close to having my materials ready to apply to the one school I knew I would apply for, however it was my two references that became the obstacle. Both of them were professors I haven't spoken to in about ten years. One replied and said they were too busy to write a recc for me at the start of the year, but were happy to supply one for the next application cycle. The other didn't respond at all. I had to hunt down her latest university contact as she had moved schools. Is this common? Should I try again with her or move on? Β I would move on from the second professor. Β If she didn't reply to your request for a reference that's very telling. Β You do not want recommenders you'll have to chase down to submit their letters on time, over and over again with each program. I had a recommender like that and wrangling her was literally the most stressful part of my entire app cycle. Β Looking back, I can see that though she was very enthusiastic about my writing there were signs from the beginning that she was quite disorganized and I regret not choosing a different recommender. Additionally, having both references be from professors you haven't interacted with in ten years isn't ideal if there's any way you can avoid it. Β Programs want to hear about the writer you are today. Β Since you're already thinking about next cycle, try taking a writing workshop, going on a writer's retreat, or joining a writing group with the goal of getting a letter out of it. backtooskewl and poet-hopeful 2
Mystic_Sunshine Posted March 16, 2025 Posted March 16, 2025 10 hours ago, glowingbrightly said: honestly anything but 1/1 for a creative writing mfa sounds like a scam unless you are looking for a program specifically focused on teaching. and from talking with people I know, teaching comp is more draining than teaching creative writing because itβs less engaging and takes more energy away from thinking about your own practice, though this ofc varies in terms of both institutional leeway and support I think it makes a difference too because of student engagement. My students have to take rhet comp. A lot of them aren't interested and don't like it. Whereas with creative writing it is usually not that way.Β So, part of the draining part is having to get students to engage.Β everything bagel lover and glowingbrightly 2
Magnolia Electric Co Posted March 16, 2025 Posted March 16, 2025 @Mystic_SunshineΒ @glowingbrightlyΒ Thank you so much for the helpful responses! It makes sense that being a TA vs. "instructor of record" would make a huge difference. And that teaching creative writing would be less work, and more enjoyable work, than teaching comp. From what I can tell, many of the most competitive programs do have a 0/0 teaching load the first year. But I think (correct me if I'm wrong!) Indiana and Illinois have a 1/1 teaching load in year 1 and 1/2 in year 2. It looks like U Mass Amherst has a 1/2 load all three years, and Syracuse has a 1/2 load in years 2 and 3. So it does seem like a fair number of popular programs ask for more than 1/1. I know a lot of people are interested in these programs, so I wonder if they are happy with the teaching load, or if they don't consider it when applying. I didn't think about teaching load at all when I was applying, but now it feels very important. I'm curious if anyone else is in the same boat! Mystic_Sunshine, Jane Wyman and glowingbrightly 3
KennyK Posted March 16, 2025 Posted March 16, 2025 What are the odds schools will be reaching out tomorrow on Saint Patrickβs day?
glowingbrightly Posted March 16, 2025 Posted March 16, 2025 10 minutes ago, KennyK said: What are the odds schools will be reaching out tomorrow on Saint Patrickβs day? most schools reach out midweek tues-thurs anyway, but unless you are waiting to hear from notre dame i donβt think st pattyβs day has much of an influence lol
Southron Posted March 16, 2025 Posted March 16, 2025 (edited) Anyone heard anything from Pittsburgh since their update email at the end of February? They're the last program I'm waiting on. Edited March 16, 2025 by Southron Nauna and poet-hopeful 1 1
smallchange Posted March 16, 2025 Posted March 16, 2025 21 hours ago, backtooskewl said: Ohmygoodness. September feels so far away. There's not programs that are taking students in sooner? This might be a dumb question. I have a hard time keeping track of grad school timing while I'm still running my life. Also! So I was getting really close to having my materials ready to apply to the one school I knew I would apply for, however it was my two references that became the obstacle. Both of them were professors I haven't spoken to in about ten years. One replied and said they were too busy to write a recc for me at the start of the year, but were happy to supply one for the next application cycle. The other didn't respond at all. I had to hunt down her latest university contact as she had moved schools. Is this common? Should I try again with her or move on? I guess the good news is this will give me time to research schools and early apply to a bunch of good ones. Oh. One other question. Still a gradcafe newb. Now that app season is over, should I be talking about this on a new thread or? There are a few UK programs with rolling deadlines through June. East Anglia I know for sure, and Iβm not completely sure but I think itβs more common with schools there that the deadlines are pretty late. If itβs something youβre interested in definitely worth doing some research. These arenβt funded obviously and I think in the UK they mainly offer a masters, not MFA (usually one year).Β
backtooskewl Posted March 16, 2025 Posted March 16, 2025 7 hours ago, OctopusCactus said: I would move on from the second professor. Β If she didn't reply to your request for a reference that's very telling. Β You do not want recommenders you'll have to chase down to submit their letters on time, over and over again with each program. I had a recommender like that and wrangling her was literally the most stressful part of my entire app cycle. Β Looking back, I can see that though she was very enthusiastic about my writing there were signs from the beginning that she was quite disorganized and I regret not choosing a different recommender. Additionally, having both references be from professors you haven't interacted with in ten years isn't ideal if there's any way you can avoid it. Β Programs want to hear about the writer you are today. Β Since you're already thinking about next cycle, try taking a writing workshop, going on a writer's retreat, or joining a writing group with the goal of getting a letter out of it. Actually I was considering starting my own writing workshop group this year. Would it be kosher to do so and then get a ref from a regular attendee who's familiar with my work?
Hjanep Posted March 17, 2025 Posted March 17, 2025 1 hour ago, backtooskewl said: Actually I was considering starting my own writing workshop group this year. Would it be kosher to do so and then get a ref from a regular attendee who's familiar with my work? I would just take a virtual Gotham course or something and ask that professor. I feel like a fellow workshop mate is more of a peer relationship OctopusCactus, backtooskewl, Jane Wyman and 1 other 2 2
girlwiththegreenribbon Posted March 17, 2025 Posted March 17, 2025 (edited) hi everyone! i've been a lurker all season and finally had a question that warranted the creation of an account. did anyone else apply to SIU carbondale? if you did, have you gotten any email or update? <333 Β i applied for ficiton Edited March 17, 2025 by girlwiththegreenribbon more information!
Magnolia Electric Co Posted March 17, 2025 Posted March 17, 2025 From the draft spreadsheet, it looks like some acceptances went out last week for poetry and fiction, and at least one rejection too. I did not apply there myself but was wondering recently if I should have! Could I ask what you liked about their program that made you decide to apply?
poet_c Posted March 17, 2025 Posted March 17, 2025 Hi everyone! I've just been accepted into The New School's Poetry program in nyc (very excited!) -- does anyone here have any insights into the university/program? I'm also still waiting on answers from Hunter and NYU but from what I'm reading here, should I assume they are rejections?Β
RabbitRunner Posted March 17, 2025 Posted March 17, 2025 1 hour ago, girlwiththegreenribbon said: hi everyone! i've been a lurker all season and finally had a question that warranted the creation of an account. did anyone else apply to SIU carbondale? if you did, have you gotten any email or update? <333 Hi! I applied to SIU carbondale for poetry and got an acceptance by email on March 6th. I hope you get good news soon! girlwiththegreenribbon 1
girlwiththegreenribbon Posted March 17, 2025 Posted March 17, 2025 16 minutes ago, RabbitRunner said: Hi! I applied to SIU carbondale for poetry and got an acceptance by email on March 6th. I hope you get good news soon! Congrats!!! Thanks sm for the reply<3 Not sure if it eases my nerves or makes them worse lolΒ
RabbitRunner Posted March 17, 2025 Posted March 17, 2025 27 minutes ago, girlwiththegreenribbon said: Congrats!!! Thanks sm for the reply<3 Not sure if it eases my nerves or makes them worse lolΒ Thank you!! And np<3 lol that's definitely fair, waiting on replies is wretched and nerve wracking. I'm only waiting on two now but I check the application portals all the time lol
Slothy711 Posted March 17, 2025 Posted March 17, 2025 Hi guys, I was wondering if anyone had gotten into UChicagoβs MA program and knew how funding worked. I got accepted but have no idea how I can afford the cost of attendance.Β
Sumire11 Posted March 17, 2025 Posted March 17, 2025 Hello Might be a long shot, but has anyone heard back from Boise State regarding fiction? I reached out to the program a while back, and they said decisions would be coming around mid March, so it got me wondering. Lady Gladys 1
asm0deus Posted March 17, 2025 Posted March 17, 2025 Does anyone know why U of Idaho would send out an email yesterday saying this:Β "Your application for admission to Creative Writing-MFA for the Fall 2025 term is currently under academic program review.Β Depending on the committeesβ schedule, the availability for the program, your area of focus, or waitlisting procedures, the review may take up to several months. Please allow the academic program sufficient time to thoroughly review your application. You will receive a notification once a decision has been made." They've already done acceptances and waitlists as far as I can tell, so I assumed a soft rejection but,,, this is giving me false hope. I was WL there last year so I'm hoping for something good... Anyone else get this email? Or is anyone still waiting on them? poet-hopeful 1
Lady Gladys Posted March 17, 2025 Posted March 17, 2025 54 minutes ago, Sumire11 said: Hello Might be a long shot, but has anyone heard back from Boise State regarding fiction? I reached out to the program a while back, and they said decisions would be coming around mid March, so it got me wondering. No, and I've been waiting on that one. I thought I missed it, and it was a soft R. That's exciting to know they said mid-March.Β Sumire11 1
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now