2025 Creative Writing MFA Applicants Forum

curfew

2 hours ago, sgrad said:

what was the summer workshop like? a couple weeks sounds so intense. were you in workshops almost every day?

It was fantastic! I workshopped just about every day, yeah. Intense, but so worth it. I also got to chat with instructors who are IWW alumni, which was helpful. 

Michener really does sound like an incredible program. I also have a friend wanting to apply to Vanderbilt (for fiction). UCSD seems fantastic too. You really can't go wrong. My workshop instructors were saying there are tons of amazing MFA programs in the US right now because teaching positions are super competitive. I guess that's bad news for prospective professors, but good news for CW students. 

I hope you get into your top picks! 

On 8/2/2024 at 9:52 PM, zaira said:

Hey, all! It's also my first time applying. Trying to get my head around the process. 

I'm applying for fiction/prose to: Iowa, Michigan, Syracuse, Virginia, Brown, Johns Hopkins, Cornell, Boston, and UT Michener. I would have added UW Madison to my list, but I don't think they're accepting fiction applications this year (just poetry). Curious to see how it goes! I'm coming into the process with zero expectations. 

I do have one question for the group. SOPs are meant to have personality, right? They shouldn't read bone dry? 

Wishing everyone lots of luck with their applications! 

Thanks for the heads up on UW Madison, you are right! (I had this on my list!). Alternatively, Northwestern is admitting Fiction this year (but was only admitting poetry last year).

Since you are applying to Michener, maybe take a look at the New Writers Project MFA @ ut austin. They require separate applications, but only require one application fee to apply for both.

23 hours ago, pananoprodigy said:

Just a little over a month til most apps open up - we are SO back y'all 😎

I'm actually excited to do this again!  

I am too! I feel like my writing sample is quite a bit stronger, and my list of schools are more aligned with my goals as a writer.  There is of course a strong chance I get into 0 programs this round and curse my past self for declining what I did last round, but, oh well, gotta enjoy the journey!

I'm applying to 4 more schools this time round than last year. Gonna try and be a lot better about NOT waiting until the deadline to apply so it's not a mad rush at the end.

On 8/2/2024 at 10:55 PM, sgrad said:

im curious what everyone's dream MFA program is?

Really happy to see everyone excited for app season:D

Personally, my dream schools are, like Zaira!, Iowa, as well as Virginia. Since I was 13 and found out Flannery and Denis Johnson went to the IWW (my two favorite writers when I was that age), I've wanted to follow them there. The interest for the program's history and previous students is too strong. And Virginia because my twin goes to law school in the state and it would be nice to be near them--

What program is it for others?

Hello all! I'm so glad to have discovered this forum! What a comfort to have some community in this process :^)

I'm sweaty shaky nervous at the prospect of sending applications out — it's my first year applying to any MFAs (have half a MA in teaching lol) and it's been my dream since I was little. I want to write poetry all day, every day. So far I know I'll be applying to John Hopkins, Brown, U of Arizona, and U of Michigan. I'm also considering Cornell, IWW, the Michener Center, and U of Illinois Urbana-Champagne. I'm skeptical of living in Texas, honestly, which is why I may not apply to the Michener MFA.

But I've also heard that the cohorts of IWW are terribly competitive and that it isn't necessarily a supportive environment — has anyone heard differently/similarly? I don't want to count out an excellent school based on rumor.

Also, if anyone has recommendations for any other fully funded programs for poetry that emphasize formal experimentation or have faculty who do so, please let me know! 

48 minutes ago, shadygrove said:

But I've also heard that the cohorts of IWW are terribly competitive and that it isn't necessarily a supportive environment — has anyone heard differently/similarly? I don't want to count out an excellent school based on rumor.

I spent a month over the summer working closely with IWW alumni and current students. From what I gather, it depends. IWW cohorts are large compared to other MFA programs, and your cohort changes frequently. Sometimes you'll end up with an amazing cohort of 8-12 people who all click. Other times you'll end up with a couple jerks. I've heard the program used to be much more traumatic than it is now. About half the alumni I spoke with had a rough time, and the other half loved it. The ones who loved it seemed to focus on doing their own thing and weren't too interested in trying to compete. I would say it depends on your personality and luck of the draw each semester. 

So, I wouldn't count it out! That said, if you're looking for experimentation, Brown is probably a better fit. You can always apply widely and see how it shakes out. 

(Caveat: I'm by no means an expert in any of this. Actual IWW students would know better than I would!) 

34 minutes ago, shadygrove said:

I'm skeptical of living in Texas, honestly, which is why I may not apply to the Michener MFA.

Also, if anyone has recommendations for any other fully funded programs for poetry that emphasize formal experimentation or have faculty who do so, please let me know! 

Howdy @shadygrove!! Welcome to the nerve party--

As someone who's spent half their life in the northeast and the other half in southeast Texas, I'll just say that the hesitancy to apply to a TX program is 100% understandable (I had some reserve on putting MCW on my list too). The dominant politika is gross and is felt in the cities, though less so in Austin; the roads don't make sense, and there are several other reasons for agita. But there are definite real havens, both literary and not, that are always eager to accept another person. Houston has an incredible nonprofit literary org (Inprint) that has hosted everyone, from Tokarczuk to Cartarescu to Erdrich to Ishiguro. I know Austin always has local readings/open mics dottling the calendar. If you want to, I'd be happy to go in further on MCW and Texas in general:^}

There's a really neat book by an Iowa prof which talks about the conception of the IWW and its history of stars, titled A Delicate Aggression, which I recommend. It goes over that bad blood atmosphere that has trailed the program, and how past and present directors have taken it down different paths. According to the book and most other accounts, Iowa seems like a much warmer and less toxic environment than what it was in the past, and its class size has lent itself towards students finding their people. The writers I've talked to who are recent Iowa alums have said the same thing, and that the professors really go out of their way to maintain a supportive atmosphere (what with the softball game and the potluck, but more importantly the workshops). I also think any poetry program with Kaveh Akbar in it will just naturally possess a more compassionate spirit.

Brown and UMich are amazing choices! I would also look at Notre Dame, less so for the school/location, and mostly for Joyelle McSweeney and her outrageously Swedish husband. Oregon's program has a powerful poetry lineup that's based in an affordable town catering towards grad students. UMass-Amherst's faculty is strong. I'd also give Denver's PhD a look: Jennifer Soong brings a really dynamic poetry which feels both forward and rooted.

Hi everyone :) 

I’ve applied three (?) times before. (Not last year). All rejections. I think this may be my last time giving this a shot. We’ll see what happens. It certainly takes a lot out of you (financially and emotionally)

@curfew I’ve read that book! I like how it focuses on different writers that went through the program through out the years. I would recommend it as well. 
Also for the Oregon program you mentioned—- which one was that? 

I’m applying for poetry this cycle  

@Leeannitha Yes! The way the book tabularizes its history is amazing. And I was referring to the University of Oregon--Eugene! Longtime professors Garrett Hongo and Geri Doran are honestly top notch. Hongo's stuff is very deciduous, image-intense, with a narrative bedrock. Doran is a sick formalist. Apparently Oregon is really rigorous and reading-intense, like Arkansas.

Rooting for you this season!! Fighting:D

Hi all - it's my first time applying this year. Wondered if anyone had any advice - I'm from the UK and graduated in 2018, so I'm concerned about who my three letters of recommendation should come from. I've been working with a writing mentor this year who I plan on asking, but I'm unsure about the other two. My professors from university likely won't remember me very well by now (and in general, study at UK universities is more independent/self-directed than in the US, so relationships between professors and students aren't as developed). I've thought about emailing my personal tutor and asking him if he'd be happy to read my work and write a recommendation after that if he's comfortable, but not sure if that'll work. Any advice welcome, particularly from people who've applied before/are also a good few years on from graduation!

Hi @Tazz are you able to take an online workshop between now and the application deadlines? You can always try that to get connected with someone who would be able to give a recommendation. I would also look at any local writing groups in your area. Other recommenders can be anyone from work that can attest to your character/ability to work with others. 

On 8/12/2024 at 2:17 PM, curfew said:

As someone who's spent half their life in the northeast and the other half in southeast Texas, I'll just say that the hesitancy to apply to a TX program is 100% understandable (I had some reserve on putting MCW on my list too). The dominant politika is gross and is felt in the cities, though less so in Austin; the roads don't make sense, and there are several other reasons for agita. But there are definite real havens, both literary and not, that are always eager to accept another person...

Thank you so much! I appreciate the honest opinion. I think it'd be too tough for me to exist in Texas haha, so I guess I'll count out MCW. The stress of grad school on top of that environmental stress would be difficult. Ideally I'll end up either in New England (where my folks are) or in Iowa. I'm trying not to get too hung up on location—Notre Dame is one of the programs I'm considering, along with John Hopkins; both faculties look great, and John Hopkins offers a pretty sweet fellowship on graduation.

I think you're right about IWW! I had a conversation with an old friend who graduated from there a year or two ago — though she went for nonfiction, she said she had a great time with her cohort and that it's worth any drama/competition that might arise. My friend really emphasized how useful the prestige is, as she's about to start a full tenure track position after teaching abroad for a year. It also sounds like the program is large enough that you'll be able to find a couple cool people regardless of genre. I'm glad I did a little digging.

I keep hearing great things about Oregon! Too bad I'm living in the PNW currently and a bit sick of the climate... but I'll have to look into it more earnestly nonetheless :—)

Thanks again! V glad to have found this forum!

On 8/18/2024 at 6:21 AM, Tazz said:

Any advice welcome, particularly from people who've applied before/are also a good few years on from graduation!

I'm in a similar situation—four years graduated, and I only had two poetry professors in my undergrad, one my final year and one my first. I've already been trying to connect with my most previous poetry prof, but he's super aloof. I'm gonna visit his office hours as a last-ditch effort and hope I'm not annoying him. I just sent an email to my first one, too.

I do think that (in general) professors can be difficult to get a hold of and that (in general) they enjoy hearing from former students. I've heard some say they consider writing recommendations solidly a part of their job. So even though it's been a number of years, I would reach out to some former professors you feel understood your work, because you never know! Definitely mention in the email that you're game to have a conversation about how your work has developed, how their instruction helped you, etc. so they can refresh their memory on you and your writing. 

Apart from that, I'd also love to more advice 👀 I think Leeannitha shared some good tactics that I may try myself!

ETA: I got my degree in the US, so I'm not sure exactly how different it is from the UK in terms of prof/student relations, but I'll also say I feel like I'm particularly bad at forging mentorships with people and keeping in touch, so maybe that evens things out

Edited by shadygrove
Clarifying US location

On 7/29/2024 at 8:35 AM, samlyn said:

Yep, I'm really only looking in the city or within commuting distance. Thanks for the tip on Rutgers! I had heard of the Rutgers-Camden program and didn't realize the Newark campus also granted MFAs. I will definitely look into it.

Good to know also about Columbia. Even in the extraordinary event I were to get funding, I don't know how I would feel about attending a program where many of my classmates are going into $100,000+ debt. Feels...icky, and also like it might attract a certain type of student. My perspective on funding/debt is that if my writing isn't good enough to get me funded1, I'm probably not ready to be in a program. In that case, I'll keep working and apply again some other year.

1 - At least partially funded to the extent I don't need to take on debt - I pretty much expect to work during the program and could afford to pay a small amount of tuition from savings.

That's not true. It's not true at all. Not getting funding means you didn't get funding. Trust me on this. Don't take on debt, but do not think a funding number is tied to skill or talent. 

On 7/30/2024 at 2:41 PM, sgrad said:

hello! same boat as a few of you. first round applying, already have an ma and it's been 8 years since i finished that. i am largely wanting to do an mfa for the teaching preparation. still narrowing down where i am applying. nice to meet you all, good luck!!

also if anyone can provide any direction on which fully-funded mfas have the most focus/preparation on teaching/pedagogy, i would appreciate it!

Look into Syracuse, Houston, Miami, Indiana, Houston, Washington, Johns Hops, and New Mexico. They all seem to ring a bell. At least some of them asked for teaching statements. 

On 8/2/2024 at 9:52 PM, zaira said:

Hey, all! It's also my first time applying. Trying to get my head around the process. 

I'm applying for fiction/prose to: Iowa, Michigan, Syracuse, Virginia, Brown, Johns Hopkins, Cornell, Boston, and UT Michener. I would have added UW Madison to my list, but I don't think they're accepting fiction applications this year (just poetry). Curious to see how it goes! I'm coming into the process with zero expectations. 

I do have one question for the group. SOPs are meant to have personality, right? They shouldn't read bone dry? 

Wishing everyone lots of luck with their applications! 

No way should they read bone dry. you have a voice, use it. Obviously you don't want to come off crazy but it's about you and what you want. stick with that and the you that is you should come through without any effort. 
oh, and regarding the Michener/NWP thing. same professors, same workshops, same resources, same students, same building. Different funding and different screeners and juries selecting the cohort. 

Edited by Scribe

On 8/7/2024 at 3:25 PM, prufrock_ said:

I am too! I feel like my writing sample is quite a bit stronger, and my list of schools are more aligned with my goals as a writer.  There is of course a strong chance I get into 0 programs this round and curse my past self for declining what I did last round, but, oh well, gotta enjoy the journey!

I'm applying to 4 more schools this time round than last year. Gonna try and be a lot better about NOT waiting until the deadline to apply so it's not a mad rush at the end.

you know my policy on this, you SHOULD wait until the deadline! fill out all the applications when they open. rewrite every SOP and as you come up with new/better stuff, update your others. proofread your sample for EACH application. finally, submit the aplications as they are due. this way each application will be as polished as possible. 

On 8/18/2024 at 7:57 PM, Leeannitha said:

Hi @Tazz are you able to take an online workshop between now and the application deadlines? You can always try that to get connected with someone who would be able to give a recommendation. I would also look at any local writing groups in your area. Other recommenders can be anyone from work that can attest to your character/ability to work with others. 

Yeah I'm looking into workshops, just feels tricky to find a good fit sometimes! But yes, either way I am keeping in mind I can ask my previous manager if I need to - I think on my list of schools, only Johns Hopkins doesn't mention an employer as a potential reference, so I may reach out to the admissions office and see if that's allowed. My job isn't in the arts but they'll be able to speak to my ability to collaborate, my work ethic etc. Thanks :)

And @shadygrove thanks for the advice - I did reach out to one of them 2 years ago as a reference for a job and he was really responsive, so hoping for the best. Good luck with your professors!

9 hours ago, Pample Mousse said:

Hi team! Going to try to be somewhat active here during this application round... I was nervous to last year but everyone seems so sweet and supportive and I want in! So, heyyyyy ❤️

Quick Q, does anyone know what you have to do for U of Mich if accepted into their mfa program? As in teaching or editing for a journal? Which journal? Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places but I haven't been able to find any info. 

Hi! It says on the website that second year students teach an intro writing course or creative writing course each semester. 

Hi all - I can't find info for the '25 application cycle on the Rutgers Newark website, it seems to have not been updated since the '24 cycle. I assume some schools are slow to update their pages sometimes? But the page for the MFA program on Rutgers Camden's website has been updated, so I wondered if the program is only being offered there this year. Does anyone know? I've emailed admissions but they haven't gotten back to me.

3 hours ago, Tazz said:

Hi all - I can't find info for the '25 application cycle on the Rutgers Newark website, it seems to have not been updated since the '24 cycle. I assume some schools are slow to update their pages sometimes? But the page for the MFA program on Rutgers Camden's website has been updated, so I wondered if the program is only being offered there this year. Does anyone know? I've emailed admissions but they haven't gotten back to me.

Henlo @Tazz, I think they just have yet to update their information on their main web (though they really should have gotten to that by now). Rutgers' GradAdmissions page lists this year's deadline as December 15, whilst typically it would be in early January. The program is also able to be selected when filling out R-N's graduate application, so I believe they're still operating. 

Rutgers-Camden's funding is still mind-boggling to me, and the program house looks so pretty. What has you interested about their programs, and what others are you applying to, if I can ask?:)

On 9/2/2024 at 8:57 PM, Jane Wyman said:

Anybody have an MFA application consultant that they recommend?

I have already contacted three advisors, an MFA student, a literature or writing teacher, and another MFA student, Qurrat Ul Ain Raza (through the MFA Draft'25 group). In fact, Q doesn't offer paid advice, but she does share her own application experience and some useful resources that are helpful through Zoom and Google. And I realized that it might not be necessary for most applicants to get a mentor, but they should find out what the process is and how to do it better if they want to get in. Also, the previous two counselors seem to be too busy to offer me the service and patience I need within the whole application process (I feel like I am just the product of the application through their response, not a normal person).

1 hour ago, Tazz said:

Would anyone have an idea of what the standard length is for a letter of recommendation? Just so I can help guide my referees a little.

I think it's supposed to be 1-2 pages. And you could maybe send your recommenders this article if they're not familiar with writing rec letters for MFAs:

https://kendalldunkelberg.com/2022/02/12/advice-on-writing-letters-of-recommendation-for-the-mfa-in-creative-writing/#:~:text=It should be written like,with it, in other words