2025 Creative Writing MFA Applicants Forum

curfew

1 hour ago, Hank Moody said:

I think it's supposed to be 1-2 pages. And you could maybe send your recommenders this article if they're not familiar with writing rec letters for MFAs:

https://kendalldunkelberg.com/2022/02/12/advice-on-writing-letters-of-recommendation-for-the-mfa-in-creative-writing/#:~:text=It should be written like,with it, in other words

thank you! appreciate it.

1 hour ago, Leeannitha said:

Anybody else having trouble with their SOP?

Yesss! It's my first time writing one and I am definitely feeling out of my depth. I've received some good tips on how to write one, but there aren't a lot of great examples of SOPs out there for me to use for reference. 

What are you struggling with specifically? Anything we can help sort out? 

On 9/11/2024 at 8:06 PM, zaira said:

Yesss! It's my first time writing one and I am definitely feeling out of my depth. I've received some good tips on how to write one, but there aren't a lot of great examples of SOPs out there for me to use for reference. 

What are you struggling with specifically? Anything we can help sort out? 

This is so kind of you! 
I am trying to make it unique and not just  “I want money and time to write” which is probably what everyone is writing and why anyone applies to MFAs in general. I also have one school that wants an SOP and personal statement. I’m having a lot of trouble putting those together and making sure they are distinct enough. 

On 9/11/2024 at 6:18 PM, Leeannitha said:

Anybody else having trouble with their SOP?

testing my link theory here, but I found this very helpful https://litreactor.com/columns/statements-of-purpose - big take aways being don't talk too much about yourself, keep it short, talk about writing more than yourself.

11 hours ago, Leeannitha said:

This is so kind of you! 
I am trying to make it unique and not just  “I want money and time to write” which is probably what everyone is writing and why anyone applies to MFAs in general. I also have one school that wants an SOP and personal statement. I’m having a lot of trouble putting those together and making sure they are distinct enough. 

Yeah, I feel you! I saw one tip that's been super helpful. Connect your reason for applying directly to your writing samples or vision. You want the school to see how their program, specifically, will help you grow as a writer. So, for example, if your work has strong ties to cultures in non-English-speaking countries, you might say you're interested in the school's robust language/translation courses (supposing they have them). Or if you're applying to a program that encourages students to experiment, mention a few specific forms you're hoping to experiment with while you're in the program. 

I've heard a good general SOP structure is something like: 

• Your literary vision, what you write, why you write it, what you hope to improve in your writing 
  • Literary influences, authors you feel your work is in conversation with 
  • Writing background, where you are in your writing career, which workshops you've taken, ways you're already engaging with the community
  • Program specifics, what you hope you get and bring to the program, tie this part into your writing vision by calling out a few specific things the program offers that would make your work stronger 
  • Goals for what you want to happen after graduation. Keep this focused on internal goals instead of external ones (like getting an agent or getting published, since you have no direct control over that) 

As for personal statements, take a look at Cornell's Admissions page. They have some guidelines on what belongs in an SOP vs. a personal statement. Basically, your SOP should focus on your writing, program specifics, and goals, while the personal statement should give insight into your life experiences outside of writing and how these life experiences will help you foster a healthy workshop environment with your cohort. 

This ended up being longer than I expected! Hope this was helpful! 

On 9/14/2024 at 7:09 AM, zaira said:

Yeah, I feel you! I saw one tip that's been super helpful. Connect your reason for applying directly to your writing samples or vision. You want the school to see how their program, specifically, will help you grow as a writer. So, for example, if your work has strong ties to cultures in non-English-speaking countries, you might say you're interested in the school's robust language/translation courses (supposing they have them). Or if you're applying to a program that encourages students to experiment, mention a few specific forms you're hoping to experiment with while you're in the program. 

I've heard a good general SOP structure is something like: 

• Your literary vision, what you write, why you write it, what you hope to improve in your writing 
  • Literary influences, authors you feel your work is in conversation with 
  • Writing background, where you are in your writing career, which workshops you've taken, ways you're already engaging with the community
  • Program specifics, what you hope you get and bring to the program, tie this part into your writing vision by calling out a few specific things the program offers that would make your work stronger 
  • Goals for what you want to happen after graduation. Keep this focused on internal goals instead of external ones (like getting an agent or getting published, since you have no direct control over that) 

As for personal statements, take a look at Cornell's Admissions page. They have some guidelines on what belongs in an SOP vs. a personal statement. Basically, your SOP should focus on your writing, program specifics, and goals, while the personal statement should give insight into your life experiences outside of writing and how these life experiences will help you foster a healthy workshop environment with your cohort. 

This ended up being longer than I expected! Hope this was helpful! 

Thank you for sharing this wonderful advice