HGSE 2025

Hello again all! I am reapplying one more time for HGSE, and hoping the third time is the charm for me! These forums have helped me SO much during my last application cycles, and I am looking forward to getting to know others applying the year. :) 

I copied what I used the last couple of years to start the thread (thank you SO MUCH to @TabTurbo for doing this originally!), and have done my best to keep it up to date:

HGSE Basic Info

Admission Stats

• Fall 2021 acceptance rate 36% (2723 Applied, 969 Accepted,  717 Enrolled | source: Peterson's - assume this is F21 given the record number of apps but could be wrong) (NOTE: I looked around and haven't found any more recent data than this....if someone does find some, please share it here :))
  • GC applicant admission data from 2013-2024 (huge thanks to @graciasadios and @mjsmith for compiling)
  • Student body breakdown (2023-2024 entering class data)

HGSE Publications

• 1 month later...
17 hours ago, Tybrarian said:

I'm working on my application packet now and greatly appreciate the resources! 😁

Glad they are helpful! If you come across anything you find helpful, I'd love it if you'd share it here too. 🙂

The post from @teacher_by_heart reminded me of one of my posts over the last couple of application cycles. Re-posting it here to (hopefully) help others in the future. Huge thanks to @graciasadios and @mjsmith for taking all of the previous years data from folks and compiling it. Also want to thank @DogeCoin for this template, which is what they used in prior years.

Program/Concentration: ELOE/No concertation. I have toyed with adding the Early Childhood concentration, and I am still thinking it over.
GRE: Have not taken, not planning to take. I have thought about it the last couple of cycles, but never did it. If it would boost my chances I might reconsider.
Work experience: Over 10 years as an elementary school teacher in the U.S. I've mostly been a 2nd grade teacher, but have taught everything K-3rd grade
Undergrad: BA in Elementary Education
Undergrad GPA: 3.3
Research: Haven't done any
LORs: 1 from a professor from my undergrad that I have kept in touch with, 1 from my principal, 1 from my superintendent. This first two I have asked them to do new letters for me, and the last one is a different recommender than my previous application last cycle.
Other info: If I get in, I would be long distance from my husband for the year. If anyone else has done this, or would be in a similar boat I would love to connect! 🙂

8 minutes ago, Here2Teach said:

The post from @teacher_by_heart reminded me of one of my posts over the last couple of application cycles. Re-posting it here to (hopefully) help others in the future. Huge thanks to @graciasadios and @mjsmith for taking all of the previous years data from folks and compiling it. Also want to thank @DogeCoin for this template, which is what they used in prior years.

Program/Concentration: ELOE/No concertation. I have toyed with adding the Early Childhood concentration, and I am still thinking it over.
GRE: Have not taken, not planning to take. I have thought about it the last couple of cycles, but never did it. If it would boost my chances I might reconsider.
Work experience: Over 10 years as an elementary school teacher in the U.S. I've mostly been a 2nd grade teacher, but have taught everything K-3rd grade
Undergrad: BA in Elementary Education
Undergrad GPA: 3.3
Research: Haven't done any
LORs: 1 from a professor from my undergrad that I have kept in touch with, 1 from my principal, 1 from my superintendent. This first two I have asked them to do new letters for me, and the last one is a different recommender than my previous application last cycle.
Other info: If I get in, I would be long distance from my husband for the year. If anyone else has done this, or would be in a similar boat I would love to connect! 🙂

I am still considering about applying. Still in the stage of browsing and collecting information.

My impression is that though GRE is optional, it offers a competitive edge for those who have it. Any comment on this?

4 minutes ago, teacher_by_heart said:

I am still considering about applying. Still in the stage of browsing and collecting information.

My impression is that though GRE is optional, it offers a competitive edge for those who have it. Any comment on this?

In previous years, HGSE has had some live virtual events in the fall. I am hoping to go to one of them early on to ask them specifically about this. If it really does help, I will look to take the GRE when I can in order to apply. 

Program/Concentration: PreK-12 online program
GRE: Have not taken, not planning to take. 
Work experience: Over 10 years working as a youth librarian, museum educator, and writing center coach at a college. Currently a director for a small library for a county system.
Undergrad: BA in Writing
Undergrad GPA: 3.97
Research: Several grants, papers published in journals, and a national award for STEM approaches. Presented at several national educational conferences
LORs: 1 from a colleague who heads a national organization, 1 from a former co-worker/professor who also taught at the writing center, and one from my state's DOE who I've worked with. 
Other info: 
Would appreciate any other suggestions as I work on my SOP as well as connecting with other applicants. I plan on the online program, as I appreciate being able to continue to serve in my current role and have support from my stakeholders to apply. 

On 8/6/2024 at 11:45 PM, Tybrarian said:

Work experience: Over 10 years working as a youth librarian, museum educator, and writing center coach at a college. Currently a director for a small library for a county system.
Research: Several grants, papers published in journals, and a national award for STEM approaches. Presented at several national educational conferences
LORs: 1 from a colleague who heads a national organization, 1 from a former co-worker/professor who also taught at the writing center, and one from my state's DOE who I've worked with. 
Other info: 
Would appreciate any other suggestions as I work on my SOP as well as connecting with other applicants. I plan on the online program, as I appreciate being able to continue to serve in my current role and have support from my stakeholders to apply. 

You have a really strong profile. 

On 8/6/2024 at 12:45 PM, Tybrarian said:

Other info: 

I concur with @teacher_by_heart! Your profile seems incredibly strong to me!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! Nice to meet you all. I'd like to ask if there are people actually got accepted with 3.0 GPA. I have 3.06 undergrad GPA and I am reaaally not confident if HGSE even considered my application 😢 Coming from Literature graduate, I am drawn to ELOE because the major provides everything I want to learn to pursue my career in education management and building by own language course. 

Is there any tips on this? Thank you!

On 8/26/2024 at 5:55 PM, danialgrafik said:

Is Harvard's site down, or why can't I open the link? I saved this link last year, it was working that time!

I'm not sure. I just tried it now and it worked for me. Guessing they fixed it. 🙂

• 1 month later...

Hi All!

So glad to find this forum!

I was wondering what the experiences of those who applied to the EdDL program are: how important is the question (the big change to the system idea) vs. the statement of purpose, etc.? I have just completed my MSc in Education at Oxford after 15 years in the pharmaceutical industry (digital/AI), and I hope to continue at the EdL. Any advice on the process would be appreciated!