jka0124 Posted April 21 Posted April 21 2 hours ago, commandercowboy said: I have a question for everyone... how important is prestige? At this point, I've been admitted to a couple programs... most are on the smaller side and aren't super well-known (at least from my perspective), but I just got accepted off the waitlist at one of the smaller programs that would offer full funding + stipend and a lot of financial security because it's in a much smaller, less expensive area. However, I've been accepted to a program that (again, from my perspective) has a pretty hefty "label" BUT... the catch is that I would def have to take out loans to pay the rent/afford cost of living in the city it's in. I was offered a full tuition fellowship there for the entire duration of the program, but they don't give stipends to anyone so... no stipend. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place (that I'm very lucky to be stuck in, I'll say!), but I would love advice. Extra context: I'm in poetry, and I want to be a professor in the future. Prestige doesn’t matter beyond a certain level. I mean, it’s all about your writing and becoming a professor at this point requires having a record of publishing. Sure everyone ooohs and aaahhs over Iowa but, you know, not every Iowa person becomes a best-selling author. It’s really about where you’ll be supported enough to do the work. But I agree with others: do not go into debt for the MFA. Especially if this is an NYC school. Not worth it. Either go with your funded option or apply again to bigger programs next year. SocialKonstruct and barbou 1 1
taliaj Posted April 21 Posted April 21 Waiting might be killing me more than a rejection 😕 axolotlish and mouthfullofmercury 2
mouthfullofmercury Posted April 21 Posted April 21 2 hours ago, taliaj said: Waiting might be killing me more than a rejection 😕 same! I e-mailed the director 4/16 and haven't heard back which its just like yooo... 😕 axolotlish 1
taliaj Posted April 22 Posted April 22 14 hours ago, mouthfullofmercury said: same! I e-mailed the director 4/16 and haven't heard back which its just like yooo... 😕 What school were you waiting for again? Sorry, I think you said it already I just can't find it. Did they email back? (fingers crossed for you!!!) mouthfullofmercury 1
mouthfullofmercury Posted April 22 Posted April 22 2 hours ago, taliaj said: What school were you waiting for again? Sorry, I think you said it already I just can't find it. Did they email back? (fingers crossed for you!!!) WVU Fiction
ojo534 Posted April 22 Posted April 22 got accepted into a program run by one of my fave poets... was so happy and excited... met w financial services person today and they cant guarantee consistent full funding for all three years... looking like its back to the drawing board for me b/c i do not want to get my mfa while living through financial turmoil... may see me back here again next year axolotlish, bluecarpet, JamesJames and 1 other 4
taliaj Posted April 22 Posted April 22 3 hours ago, SocialKonstruct said: Still in the thick of things. I thought you were going to CalArts?
SocialKonstruct Posted April 23 Posted April 23 6 hours ago, taliaj said: I thought you were going to CalArts? Yep but still awaiting financial aid adjustment :(... not fun.
taliaj Posted April 23 Posted April 23 8 hours ago, SocialKonstruct said: Yep but still awaiting financial aid adjustment :(... not fun. Oh okay, I didn't know that was something you could do. I'm sure the waiting isn't fun, but I hope it works out for you! SocialKonstruct 1
darr1 Posted April 24 Posted April 24 Current UNLV MFA student chiming in! If any new admits are looking for housing close to campus, send me a DM. Looking to sublet my place while completing the international portion of the program this fall!
SocialKonstruct Posted April 27 Posted April 27 Looks like we don't have any updates recently. I guess our journeys are at an end? mouthfullofmercury and axolotlish 2
taliaj Posted April 27 Posted April 27 37 minutes ago, SocialKonstruct said: Looks like we don't have any updates recently. I guess our journeys are at an end? Not yet! I'll know around Friday-ish. JamesJames 1
axolotlish Posted April 27 Posted April 27 5 hours ago, SocialKonstruct said: Looks like we don't have any updates recently. I guess our journeys are at an end? Still waiting with a photon-sized expectation of acceptance. SocialKonstruct, mouthfullofmercury and JamesJames 2 1
mouthfullofmercury Posted April 28 Posted April 28 (edited) 12 hours ago, SocialKonstruct said: Looks like we don't have any updates recently. I guess our journeys are at an end? Still haven't heard from WVU fiction waitlist, do MFA programs ghost? Also, was placed on a waiting list for university college of Dublin.... Edited April 28 by mouthfullofmercury axolotlish 1
jka0124 Posted April 29 Posted April 29 To all of y'all who may not have gotten in somewhere this year, don't give up. ❤️ I'll be going on the teaching market eventually, which means I will probably only have a year left in Draft (oy), but feel free to DM me here or there if you ever have any MFA questions you think I can answer. Godspeed, my writers. mouthfullofmercury, bluecarpet, axolotlish and 2 others 5
taliaj Posted April 29 Posted April 29 I know I say this every x amount of days but this waiting is driving me bonkers. I'm totally understanding of why I have to wait, but also, knowing I'll get an answer one way or another on Friday is killing me. It's so close yet so far! mouthfullofmercury and axolotlish 2
thechain Posted May 4 Posted May 4 On 4/22/2026 at 6:59 AM, LB349 said: Have any NYU waitlisted folks heard back? no word back yet, you?
LB349 Posted May 4 Posted May 4 3 minutes ago, thechain said: no word back yet, you? Nope! Wondering if NYU allows its non-funded admitted cohort later than April 15th to decide, thus lengthening the waitlist time? I’ve seen no evidence of anyone accepted off the waitlist.
thechain Posted May 4 Posted May 4 4 minutes ago, LB349 said: Nope! Wondering if NYU allows its non-funded admitted cohort later than April 15th to decide, thus lengthening the waitlist time? I’ve seen no evidence of anyone accepted off the waitlist. it's either that or their waitlist admissions process is particularly time-consuming (maybe because it's unranked?). the email i got did say the waitlist can remain open through the summer, and their faq says waitlist admissions can happen as late as mid-summer, so it seems normal for it to take a while ... but hopefully we hear back sooner than later! LB349 1
violette_us Posted May 5 Posted May 5 19 hours ago, thechain said: it's either that or their waitlist admissions process is particularly time-consuming (maybe because it's unranked?). the email i got did say the waitlist can remain open through the summer, and their faq says waitlist admissions can happen as late as mid-summer, so it seems normal for it to take a while ... but hopefully we hear back sooner than later! Hi! I applied to NYU for Poetry last year and was waitlisted. I got my rejection email/ notification that I was taken off the waitlist at the end of June. I'm wishing you luck! And if it doesn't work out, I would encourage you to apply again - I actually got accepted to NYU this year! thechain 1
thechain Posted May 5 Posted May 5 6 hours ago, violette_us said: Hi! I applied to NYU for Poetry last year and was waitlisted. I got my rejection email/ notification that I was taken off the waitlist at the end of June. I'm wishing you luck! And if it doesn't work out, I would encourage you to apply again - I actually got accepted to NYU this year! super helpful to hear, thank you so much!
songofsolomon Posted May 7 Posted May 7 Have people in Canada heard back from the University of Guelph's MFA program yet? I've heard of two acceptances, and I saw a rejection on GradCafe dated March 27th, but I still haven't heard a peep yet!
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now