LouPatt Posted April 13 Posted April 13 Thinking that I'm going to take myself off of the waitlist for Oregon State (poetry), found out I got fulbright so that seems like the better option right now lol precociousreader, jka0124, bioluminescent sloth and 6 others 9
MamaCats Posted April 13 Posted April 13 15 minutes ago, LouPatt said: Thinking that I'm going to take myself off of the waitlist for Oregon State (poetry), found out I got fulbright so that seems like the better option right now lol WOW! That is AMAZING!! Congratulations!! bioluminescent sloth and dyedviolet 2
mouthfullofmercury Posted April 13 Posted April 13 Hello fellow waitlisters! Anyone Fiction Waitlist for or heard of any movement for these schools; UW-Madison, Pitt and WVU programs? I'm anxiously waiting to hear from one. Any word on the draft? Thanks!
ocurlyfries Posted April 13 Posted April 13 55 minutes ago, mouthfullofmercury said: Hello fellow waitlisters! Anyone Fiction Waitlist for or heard of any movement for these schools; UW-Madison, Pitt and WVU programs? I'm anxiously waiting to hear from one. Any word on the draft? Thanks! Hi! Looks like no waitlist movement (or acceptances yet) for WVU fiction on the draft. Not sure if acceptances just haven't been uploaded or if they haven't gone out yet, but hopefully it is the latter. mouthfullofmercury 1
taliaj Posted April 13 Posted April 13 On 4/11/2026 at 4:27 PM, meanwhile said: @taliaj I ended up emailing bc I had an application question and was told for priority consideration, to apply before April 15th because all admitted students will begin to be notified after that date. They mentioned they are still working out the timeframe for notifications, but that admitted students should be notified by the last week of April, so don’t give up hope yet! fingers crossed for us I'm still a bit iffy on the whole thing, especially after that post in Draft. I feel awful for that person and I feel like the school didn't handle it well at all. That being said. I recognize it's a new program and there are going to be bumps. Separately from that, I also worry that if I get in, would it only be for a lack of applicants? I guess part of me isn't feeling confident in my work/sample. But yes, fingers crossed that it'll work out whichever way!
meanwhile Posted April 13 Posted April 13 48 minutes ago, taliaj said: I'm still a bit iffy on the whole thing, especially after that post in Draft. I feel awful for that person and I feel like the school didn't handle it well at all. That being said. I recognize it's a new program and there are going to be bumps. Separately from that, I also worry that if I get in, would it only be for a lack of applicants? I guess part of me isn't feeling confident in my work/sample. But yes, fingers crossed that it'll work out whichever way! Oooh, I’m not in Draft, so I have no idea what happened there? But from everything I have seen, I get a strong sense that MO State definitely needs to iron a bunch of things out, pronto. Also having those same concerns about my work and over potentially being a part of something not quite fully fleshed out yet. 😕
taliaj Posted April 14 Posted April 14 3 hours ago, meanwhile said: Oooh, I’m not in Draft, so I have no idea what happened there? But from everything I have seen, I get a strong sense that MO State definitely needs to iron a bunch of things out, pronto. Also having those same concerns about my work and over potentially being a part of something not quite fully fleshed out yet. 😕 That’s exactly it! Feel free to send me an insta DM if you want to commiserate, haha. It’s tal_viera but no pressure to reach out! meanwhile 1
nonsense Posted April 14 Posted April 14 Is anyone else waitlisted for Minnesota? Also, I'm not in the draft so I'm curious if there's been any movement for fiction! mouthfullofmercury 1
ojo534 Posted April 14 Posted April 14 Question: If I don't hear anything from my waitlisted school by EOD April 16... should I send a follow up email? Should I be sending a follow up now? What is everyone else doing while they wait? dyedviolet, precociousreader and mouthfullofmercury 3
impatientjoy Posted April 14 Posted April 14 Does anyone have any insight into Idaho or Colorado state for poetry?? Just found out I have a fully funded spot at each and really stuck between the two. gafoo and JamesJames 2
meanwhile Posted April 14 Posted April 14 17 hours ago, taliaj said: That’s exactly it! Feel free to send me an insta DM if you want to commiserate, haha. It’s tal_viera but no pressure to reach out! Just DM’d you! Promise I’m not actually a weird old guy, Columbo is just my pfp at the moment lol
madsmadsmads Posted April 14 Posted April 14 GOT INTO MICHIGAN OFF THE WAITLIST OMGGGGGGGG bluecarpet, mouthfullofmercury, MamaCats and 13 others 16
JamesJames Posted April 14 Posted April 14 42 minutes ago, madsmadsmads said: GOT INTO MICHIGAN OFF THE WAITLIST OMGGGGGGGG Congrats!!!! madsmadsmads 1
MamaCats Posted April 14 Posted April 14 44 minutes ago, madsmadsmads said: GOT INTO MICHIGAN OFF THE WAITLIST OMGGGGGGGG Congratulations!!!! Solin, madsmadsmads and cantoras 2 1
Solin Posted April 14 Posted April 14 (edited) AHHHHH never give up and never settle!!! I got into my top program this week. So much gratitude and joy!!!!!! Thank you all for the camaraderie this cycle. Sending you all good wishes for your MFA journeys <3! Edited April 14 by Solin mouthfullofmercury, TPike, MamaCats and 5 others 8
thechain Posted April 15 Posted April 15 any movement on nyu waitlist? i can't make a facebook account
eowyn388 Posted April 15 Posted April 15 hi guys! anyone know anything about why Notre Dame is releasing decisions so late? I applied to Columbia, Dartmouth, UoMontana, and Notre Dame (wanted to move north lol); accepted for the first two and waitlisted for the third. Nothing from Notre Dame at all still. Can't see that anyone else has heard from them either. Assuming nothing has come out. I went ahead and declined Columbia to open up the waitlist spot a week or so ago; right now I'm planning on Dartmouth but Notre Dame would sure be better for my wallet. 😅 Afaik they're in the council of graduate schools with the April 15th deadline...confused on why they're not giving out spots yet. Any thoughts? Cheers to all of ya'll as we wait!
AustWriter Posted April 15 Posted April 15 1 hour ago, thechain said: any movement on nyu waitlist? i can't make a facebook account Not sure what stream you’re after, but I just (very sadly) declined my fiction offer…so there should be some movement there soon!
thechain Posted April 15 Posted April 15 1 hour ago, AustWriter said: Not sure what stream you’re after, but I just (very sadly) declined my fiction offer…so there should be some movement there soon! fiction! (if someone wants to put my data on the draft spreadsheet, feel free. i was waitlisted march 19th) thanks for letting me know. hopefully fiction waitlist acceptances will start coming out soon. best wishes for wherever you're going!
cantoras Posted April 15 Posted April 15 not sure this cycle is going to work for me. I was rejected off one waitlist today and waiting for another one that seems unlikely (it's a fully-funded & 3 fiction-writer cohort). feeling super demoralized. it was my first time applying, but I grinded so hard and dread the thought of having to do this again in the Fall--specifically asking for more LORs & dropping a shit ton of money on app fees. alas, would any of yall offer advice for people considering applying again next cycle? something more specific than “make your sample better” please! I’m interested in how folks approach language that pushes plot, invent characters that feel like you remember them from life on the page, strengthen dialogue, write sentences with rhythm, etc. congratulations to those that got in! if any of you is willing to share what you feel moved hearts/set fireworks off in your own samples (from a craft lens, not content), I'd really appreciate it. arugalasalad and bioluminescent sloth 2
EMCOGNITION Posted April 15 Posted April 15 I've been reading posts for months here and finally created an account. Here and on the MFA Draft, I see a lot of poetry and Fiction updates, but not a lot of CNF updates. I am waitlisted at one more school for CNF and I feel like this waiting process has bled me dry, worked me, killed me....ay, yay, yay. And now it's April 15, and I'm dreading the email that begins with the word Unfortunately. I saw two people forgo their admissions to the school I'm waiting on. My heart stopped until I saw they were...fiction, not CNF. And then I made up some fiction that there's some corollary between CNF and fiction admissions. I've been making up lots of stories just to get myself through this. Anyone know why CNF applicants are so quiet on these forums? It feels ridiculous to think that I might have been wringing myself dry for months, meanwhile I was 7th or 8th on a waitlist, and never really had a chance. But who knows right? I want this. The idea of doing it again is not feeling good though. ojo534, bluecarpet, mouthfullofmercury and 1 other 4
gafoo Posted April 15 Posted April 15 1 hour ago, EMCOGNITION said: I've been reading posts for months here and finally created an account. Here and on the MFA Draft, I see a lot of poetry and Fiction updates, but not a lot of CNF updates. I am waitlisted at one more school for CNF and I feel like this waiting process has bled me dry, worked me, killed me....ay, yay, yay. And now it's April 15, and I'm dreading the email that begins with the word Unfortunately. I saw two people forgo their admissions to the school I'm waiting on. My heart stopped until I saw they were...fiction, not CNF. And then I made up some fiction that there's some corollary between CNF and fiction admissions. I've been making up lots of stories just to get myself through this. Anyone know why CNF applicants are so quiet on these forums? It feels ridiculous to think that I might have been wringing myself dry for months, meanwhile I was 7th or 8th on a waitlist, and never really had a chance. But who knows right? I want this. The idea of doing it again is not feeling good though. CNF is generally just a less-applied to genre overall! That's not to say it's less competitive, though, because there are also fewer programs that offer it, and fewer slots available generally at programs that do. I do feel that if you got on a waitlist somewhere you loved, you absolutely should consider applying again! That's a very good sign for a first cycle. Honestly, there are probably some really low-effort, high-value edits you can make that would boost your chances. It could be worth finding someone to pay for an "MFA post-mortem" review or a packet review for the upcoming cycle. Sometimes it's as simple as piece ordering, swapping out/in pieces to showcase different strengths of yours, tailoring it a bit cleaner to each program's vibe, etc. Wishing you the best of luck no matter what happens! mouthfullofmercury and EMCOGNITION 2
mouthfullofmercury Posted April 15 Posted April 15 11 hours ago, cantoras said: not sure this cycle is going to work for me. I was rejected off one waitlist today and waiting for another one that seems unlikely (it's a fully-funded & 3 fiction-writer cohort). feeling super demoralized. it was my first time applying, but I grinded so hard and dread the thought of having to do this again in the Fall--specifically asking for more LORs & dropping a shit ton of money on app fees. alas, would any of yall offer advice for people considering applying again next cycle? something more specific than “make your sample better” please! I’m interested in how folks approach language that pushes plot, invent characters that feel like you remember them from life on the page, strengthen dialogue, write sentences with rhythm, etc. congratulations to those that got in! if any of you is willing to share what you feel moved hearts/set fireworks off in your own samples (from a craft lens, not content), I'd really appreciate it. I'm in the same boat, I feel you on this it's been a brutal wait after so much work. Did they e-mail you a formal rejection? Fingers crossed on your final waitlist! cantoras 1
formerfreeloader Posted April 15 Posted April 15 "Longtime lurker gets acceptance, shares perspective" Hey folks, for whatever it's worth, just wanted to drop a few words of encouragement based on my experience as a fiction applicant the last two years, as well as a summary of my experience in case you find some value it it. This was my second year applying (after 7 rejects and one waitlist->eventual reject (all to uber-selective programs, not a super smart move by me). This year I cast a wider net and ended up with an acceptance, a waitlist->acceptance, and a waitlist (pending funding). And 13 rejections! Point here is: if you're not sure it's worth it to go again, I would strongly encourage that you consider it. I'm glad I did. I don't have social accounts (though I did make one to post this!) so I can't update draft unless someone can provide the link to the form, but wanted to share a little bit here in case helpful. Happy to go into further detail on direct messages in case helpful. 2025: applied to 8 highly selective programs, waitlist at BU gave me a glimmer of hope -- did not get off the waitlist Definitely recommend an LOCI, I did one for BU 2026: applied to 16 programs, mix of selectivity, 5 re-apps (would've been 6 if BU was taking fiction applicants!) and 11 new apps Having heard exclusively rejections by mid-late-March, I sent an LOCI to anyone I hadn't heard from Accepted to Memphis in late March, waitlisted at Northern MI (accepted-funding waitlist?), and waitlisted at a school out in the northwesternish part of the USA. Ended up with an acceptance yesterday from the northwesternish place and have accepted the offer! While I can't say for sure, I think some possible factors were: Logistical factors Significant chance/luck, as always! Casting a wider net, including programs that may have more limited funding but still could be viable opportunities Perhaps sending LOCIs in mid-late March? Writing sample Getting one of my recommenders (an MFA/professor themselves) to actually critique my work and revising accordingly Writing and submitting new work for re-apps, and a mix of new and old work for new apps Personal statement Emphasizing re-app / continued commitment after last year's waitlist More customization of personal statements to the program, faculty, writing style(s), even the geography of the place and how that connects with my writing and goals Identifying programs at the university that align with my writing (e.g. a school that has a program/research center in a place I write about or want to write about) Articulating my personal experience/worldview, why that is potentially valuable to contribute to the program/community, and what type of work I want to create that could be an asset/credit to the program (in addition to hopefully being meaningful to readers) For teaching programs/statements, emphasizing my teaching/mentorship/facilitation experience and demonstrating an eagerness to bring that to the program mouthfullofmercury and whalefirework 2
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now