Acceptance 2011

C_e_D

Hello everyone.

So far, I have been accepted to the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, and awaiting news on funding.

I am waiting to hear from the University of Illinois and Northern Illinois University.

Congrats on Wisconsin. Are you waiting on UIUC? I received a rejection from them a couple weeks ago...maybe check with them?

Also, anyone out there hear from Arizona yet?

Congrats on Wisconsin. Are you waiting on UIUC? I received a rejection from them a couple weeks ago...maybe check with them?

Yes, I am waiting on UIUC. Thanks for the heads up, I will check with them.

UC Davis - No official notice but Embark was updated today to include, Deny Reason 2: No major professor available in proposed specialization in major. Not surprised since I applied at the last minute without speaking to POIs and simply included 3 potential ones in my application. Unfortunately, since then I realized one them would be perfect and I should have tailored my application accordingly, if only the timing had worked out. Though since there wasnt much of a chance of funding and I got into my 1st choice (still with no funding), Im rather apathetic to the decision.

Edited by CSC

Funding for WVU =)

graduate teaching assistantship

$13,350/9 month academic year

full tuition waiver

2 years

Congrats! The life in WV should be inexpensive, so that's a pretty decent deal.

Congrats! The life in WV should be inexpensive, so that's a pretty decent deal.

Thanks! Yeah, it should be enough to get by, which is all I was really worried about getting

Greetings and congrats to all!

I heard from UArizona on Tuesday, accepted to the PhD program without funding. Has anyone received word on funding from Arizona?

Also, accepted with funding to UOregon - 3 years TAship and UT at Austin 1 year RAship, 4 years TAship.

I'm leaning towards UT, visited last week for their recruitment weekend and they're a great group. Will I be seeing anyone in Austin in the fall?

Good luck!

I did my undergrad @ MSU... so if you end up going there (which doesn't seem likely now,) I can answer any questions you may have.

Thanks, but I think I'm about out of options there. I'm not entirely sure if the funding decisions included RA positions or just TA, but I think it was for all positions so once I hear back about that it should just about shut that door for now.

I got into Davis (Geography Graduate Group), Arizona (Geography), Temple (Urban Studies), and Arizona State (Environmental Social Science). No firm offers on funding on any of them and that is a bummer. Am I alone in this struggle? They are all public universities so I understand the pressure they are under and I am somewhat marginal to begin with so I am not sure if that is the issue. If so, why the hell would they accept me? I really am only looking to cover tuition expenses.

Good luck and congrats to all of you.

@SignalHill, it's not personal. It's more that the universities have no idea how much their budget will get cut by the state, so they can't even begin to estimate how many TA positions they will need to eliminate. Since most programs prioritize funding continuing students, they want to make sure they have money for them (even though they might not!) before they start awarding money left and right to potential students. It's a craptastic situation, I'll admit.

I was accepted into the masters program at Kentucky yesterday without funding (said they would let me know if anything changed) and denied by UofA via email today (though I saw it on the website last week). I'm really happy about Kentucky since it was my top choice but disappointed about the funding, even though it's not surprising. Does anyone know whether I'll be more likely to receive funding next year if I accept this year without?

I'm only waiting to hear from University of Kansas now, which was my undergraduate school. It looks like a few people have heard back, but I haven't heard a word. Does anyone know what's going on with them?

@SignalHill, it's not personal. It's more that the universities have no idea how much their budget will get cut by the state, so they can't even begin to estimate how many TA positions they will need to eliminate. Since most programs prioritize funding continuing students, they want to make sure they have money for them (even though they might not!) before they start awarding money left and right to potential students. It's a craptastic situation, I'll admit.

Rising_Star --> Thank you so much for that! I along with a couple of friends are on waitlists for funding. Your comment is very reflective of what's going on right now. Apparently, many departments are finding it tough to fund their current grad students (also to encourage them to graduate out of their program). We just have to cross our fingers and hope for the best.

How are decisions coming along?

I am currently trying to decide between the UW-Madison MS in Cart/GIS and the Clark University MA in GISDE programs.

Anybody else super stressed out over the whole decision process?

Well, I finally heard back from Colorado. Rejected... I'd figured that out already since I was hoping to work with Dr. Root and it turns out the person who got that slot is in my medical geography class at UF right now. Small world, huh?

• 4 weeks later...