Rooming with another applicant during an interview who has the same POI

neuropsych76

So everything is booked for my interview in a couple weeks and I found out that I will be rooming with another applicant for my stay. This is fine and, being the creeper I am, I googled the person's name to see what I could find. I found they worked in a lab that did research similar to one of the POI's research I applied to work with. I know that doesn't necessarily mean they are interested in that work and that professor but it certainly caught my attention. Would schools room two applicants who are competing for the same professor's lab? That seems kind of cruel...

I also put down another POI to work with who has slightly different research interests. I have only been in contact with this POI and he was the one who invited me to the interview. Is it likely I will still interview with both POI's even though I've only been talking to one so far? Or even though I put down two POI's I might just interview with the one who I've been talking to? He said he didn't know about the other POI and I don't think I should email the other POI and ask.

Thanks for any thoughts on the matter :)

I don't see it being a problem. You might not spend that much time together anyway. Friendly competition never hurt anyone :)

That being said, are you sure that 1) the program accepts you into a LAB and not into a general neuroscience track? and 2) your POI is only taking one person?

Those things might change the way you look at the situation.

I don't think rooming with someone else who is applying to work with the same POI as you would necessarily be a bad thing. I went to an interview this past weekend where there were 6 other people vying for the same spot as me, and although it was a little intimidating, there were definitely some positives to getting to hang out with them. First, it was really great to have other people to talk to with whom I had so much in common. It is a very cool experience to have a conversation with someone who is as passionate as you are about the same things you are. Second, I think it actually made me feel more at peace with whatever the outcome is. Everyone I met seemed like a really great applicant, and they were all really nice people, too. So, even if I don't get it, I'll know that whoever did definitely deserved it, which makes me feel better about it.

For my interview, I put down two POIs in my SOP and only interviewed with one. I think it could go either way. I don't see any need to email and ask, but just be prepared to interview with both, just in case.

I don't see it being a problem. You might not spend that much time together anyway. Friendly competition never hurt anyone :)

That being said, are you sure that 1) the program accepts you into a LAB and not into a general neuroscience track? and 2) your POI is only taking one person?

Those things might change the way you look at the situation.

That's true. I just have these visions of the person keeping me up all night to screw me over the next day lol.

The program says it has a mentor ship model so I'm assuming that means there are no lab rotations. Also, I am not sure if the POI is taking more than one person so that is a good point.

I don't think rooming with someone else who is applying to work with the same POI as you would necessarily be a bad thing. I went to an interview this past weekend where there were 6 other people vying for the same spot as me, and although it was a little intimidating, there were definitely some positives to getting to hang out with them. First, it was really great to have other people to talk to with whom I had so much in common. It is a very cool experience to have a conversation with someone who is as passionate as you are about the same things you are. Second, I think it actually made me feel more at peace with whatever the outcome is. Everyone I met seemed like a really great applicant, and they were all really nice people, too. So, even if I don't get it, I'll know that whoever did definitely deserved it, which makes me feel better about it.

For my interview, I put down two POIs in my SOP and only interviewed with one. I think it could go either way. I don't see any need to email and ask, but just be prepared to interview with both, just in case.

6 people for that same POI certainly seems intimidating but I agree it would be cool to meet all those people who have similar interests (assuming they are all nice!) I hope your interview went well. I know how competitive clinical psych is so you must be a strong applicant to have received an interview!

I'm going to prepare for both POI's I just wasn't sure about the whole process of interviews and multiple POIs. It seems rather complicated.

6 people for that same POI certainly seems intimidating but I agree it would be cool to meet all those people who have similar interests (assuming they are all nice!) I hope your interview went well. I know how competitive clinical psych is so you must be a strong applicant to have received an interview!

I'm going to prepare for both POI's I just wasn't sure about the whole process of interviews and multiple POIs. It seems rather complicated.

Just be outgoing, charming, and gregarious, so you look amazing in comparison to everyone else, totally collegial and comfortable - and best of luck to you!!

I had an experience like that last year, and it actually worked out quite nicely. We had both done research in the field, but knew some people better than others (for instance, her dream PI was a former boss of mine), and had some different perspectives on where the field was going. Much information was exchanged. It was a little awkward, but worth it.

Besides, they can't keep you up all night without keeping themselves up too. wink.gif

I had an experience like that last year, and it actually worked out quite nicely. We had both done research in the field, but knew some people better than others (for instance, her dream PI was a former boss of mine), and had some different perspectives on where the field was going. Much information was exchanged. It was a little awkward, but worth it.

Besides, they can't keep you up all night without keeping themselves up too. wink.gif

I'm glad to hear your situation worked out nicely! It seems i'm being a bit over neurotic about this :)

They could keep me up while sleeping if they snore loudly :P

They could keep me up while sleeping if they snore loudly :P

Bring earplugs. Seriously.

I was introduced to the wonder of earplugs at a competition in high school. As the only girl on my team, I was stuck rooming with the girls from Rural Backwater High. The competition was two days long; after the first day, my team was in the finals, and their team was out. The other girls decided to hold a party that night, and told everyone to come to their room. I had just parked my exhausted butt in bed, 11:30pm, when they showed up with a herd of friends. And I explained the situation, politely shoved the friends out - but as quickly as I could get rid of them, more arrived. Around 1:30am, I gave up and went over to my teammates' room. Where I nearly kicked down the door, but nobody woke up to let me in. I curled up in the hallway lounge. Around 2:00am, the security guard found me, thought I was a bum, and tried to run me off. I came back at 2:30am, saw a bunch of people still in the room, and threw a full-on hissy fit. Crying, throwing things, you bet. It worked, and the room cleared. Except for my room-mates, who decided they needed to take showers and otherwise goof around. I got about two hours of sleep.

The next day, I complained to my team, who filled me with Diet Coke - and explained that they had all been wearing earplugs the night before. No wonder they didn't hear me banging on the door.

Since then, I have not traveled anywhere without earplugs. In fact, I wear them at home, too; my apartment is next to a fairly busy street.

And I did get revenge in the end. The next year, the girls from Rural Backwater were back. I was team captain, and so was the girl who had organized the party. And we got to play each other in the opening rounds. Normally, if my team was substantially better than our opponent, we would go easy and let the younger players get some experience - not this time. I was in, my best players were in, and I told them to show absolutely no mercy. The final score was something like 350-4.

Morals: the world is small, payback's a b*tch...and earplugs are awesome.

Edited by BlueRose

And I did get revenge in the end. The next year, the girls from Rural Backwater were back. I was team captain, and so was the girl who had organized the party. And we got to play each other in the opening rounds. Normally, if my team was substantially better than our opponent, we would go easy and let the younger players get some experience - not this time. I was in, my best players were in, and I told them to show absolutely no mercy. The final score was something like 350-4.

OMG LOL.