Ohio State acceptances

This may seem like a silly question, but I figured that I would get some group feedback.

The visiting day is approaching, and this is my first graduate program visiting day ever. What is the standard attire (if any)?

Edited by TC3

So I wanted to suggest some things for English major types to see while they are here or when they move here, to get a feel for the kinds of places and social activities people from the department frequent. Social life is important as work life!

I suggest visiting the bar Surly Girl. It's got great food and local Ohio beers and a lot of people go there frequently. It's on High St. in the Short North.

There's also St. James Tavern on 4th Ave. That's just a straight up bar. Bodega is a kind of hipstery bar, that has good food and a good trivia night. On High St.

If you're into dancing and clubbing, which if you are an English major, you probably aren't, there's Skully's and Axis. Thursday night is "ladies 80s" at Skully's. I'm not into it, but I know people who love it.

Food: The North Market, Spruce Street I believe, it's right behind High Street in the Arena District. Lot's of great food and affordable. I suggest you try the Chicago Cheddar Popcorn from the popcorn stand. It's like crack flavored popcorn. Northstar is good, but can get pricey (short north and clintonville locations). Tasi has great brunch (in the short north). In Clintonville there is Lavash (lebanese).

If you have a car, maybe check out Grandview. It's farther away, but it's cute, places to walk, and good food. Grandview Cafe is standard American food, and they have a trivia night that's good (better than Bodega). Stauf's is in Grandview and it's the only decent coffee in town. Sorry if you like coffee, Columbus is the wrong place for you!

Other stuff:

Goodale Park is this little park behind the Short North. It's nice to walk around in, and you can get a feel for the neighborhood around that area. That's the best neighborhood in my opinion. It can get expensive though, so you might want to wander north, where it's cheaper.

Apropos is on 3rd Ave, west of high street in the Harrison West neighborhood (very affordable, nice neighborhood). It's a cafe but it's also got beer and wine, and they have the best happy hour special in town. Ask for some free snacks and sit outside! You always see someone you know at Apropos.

German Village is south of Livingston Ave, just south of downtown. It's this historic district where the German ghetto was in the early 20th cent. It's cute as hell. I suggest going to Schmidt's if you want some german food or a great cream puff.

Metro parks: lots of close parks to the city, look up the website for a complete list.

Olentangy bike trail: it's awesome. I'd suggest living next to it.

Studio 35: the best part about Clintonville is this old theater. Unfortunately they only place mainstream movies, it's not an art house theater, but it's classic Ohio- booze and pizza served there and all the games are broadcast there. There are tables! They show games for free, and they usually have a Sunday night beer tasting where they show an old movie. One time it was Pee Wee's Big Adventure and that was really fun. Rocky Horror once a month if you're into that.

Sorry, nobody asked for that. Just thought I'd share. I'm kind of getting sad that I'm leaving.

Edited by woolfie

So I wanted to suggest some things for English major types to see while they are here or when they move here, to get a feel for the kinds of places and social activities people from the department frequent. Social life is important as work life!

I suggest visiting the bar Surly Girl. It's got great food and local Ohio beers and a lot of people go there frequently. It's on High St. in the Short North.

There's also St. James Tavern on 4th Ave. That's just a straight up bar. Bodega is a kind of hipstery bar, that has good food and a good trivia night. On High St.

If you're into dancing and clubbing, which if you are an English major, you probably aren't, there's Skully's and Axis. Thursday night is "ladies 80s" at Skully's. I'm not into it, but I know people who love it.

Food: The North Market, Spruce Street I believe, it's right behind High Street in the Arena District. Lot's of great food and affordable. I suggest you try the Chicago Cheddar Popcorn from the popcorn stand. It's like crack flavored popcorn. Northstar is good, but can get pricey (short north and clintonville locations). Tasi has great brunch (in the short north). In Clintonville there is Lavash (lebanese).

If you have a car, maybe check out Grandview. It's farther away, but it's cute, places to walk, and good food. Grandview Cafe is standard American food, and they have a trivia night that's good (better than Bodega). Stauf's is in Grandview and it's the only decent coffee in town. Sorry if you like coffee, Columbus is the wrong place for you!

Other stuff:

Goodale Park is this little park behind the Short North. It's nice to walk around in, and you can get a feel for the neighborhood around that area. That's the best neighborhood in my opinion. It can get expensive though, so you might want to wander north, where it's cheaper.

Apropos is on 3rd Ave, west of high street in the Harrison West neighborhood (very affordable, nice neighborhood). It's a cafe but it's also got beer and wine, and they have the best happy hour special in town. Ask for some free snacks and sit outside! You always see someone you know at Apropos.

German Village is south of Livingston Ave, just south of downtown. It's this historic district where the German ghetto was in the early 20th cent. It's cute as hell. I suggest going to Schmidt's if you want some german food or a great cream puff.

Metro parks: lots of close parks to the city, look up the website for a complete list.

Olentangy bike trail: it's awesome. I'd suggest living next to it.

Studio 35: the best part about Clintonville is this old theater. Unfortunately they only place mainstream movies, it's not an art house theater, but it's classic Ohio- booze and pizza served there and all the games are broadcast there. There are tables! They show games for free, and they usually have a Sunday night beer tasting where they show an old movie. One time it was Pee Wee's Big Adventure and that was really fun. Rocky Horror once a month if you're into that.

Sorry, nobody asked for that. Just thought I'd share. I'm kind of getting sad that I'm leaving.

Great insights, woolfie! *knuckle tap*

Yes, perhaps it is because I'm talking about the far east side of Clintonville. The western side near the bike path, or the community market is nice. But closer to Indianola or Hudson or Summit Ave is where there is lots of crime and the antagonistic relations that I'm talking about. Perhaps I just had a bad experience but I wanted to share it just in case it helped someone. I came from a small rural college town so maybe some of it was just the shock of city life in general.

Not to nitpick, but I wouldn't consider Summit/Hudson/4th to be part of Clintonville. That's North campus, plain and simple, and it's a bad area. Avoid avoid avoid.

As far as Clintonville goes, you want to stay north of Arcadia and west of Indianola. And anything on the east side of the railroad or I-71 should also be avoided.