Ohio State acceptances

Congratulations to all of you holding acceptances. Can I ask what your subfields are? I'm among those still awaiting a decision and I'm grasping for glimmers of hope.

On 2/11/2011 at 7:50 PM, bigdgp said:

Congratulations to all of you holding acceptances. Can I ask what your subfields are? I'm among those still awaiting a decision and I'm grasping for glimmers of hope.

I'm British Romantic Literature and Digital Humanities. Clare Simmons is my POI.

So have the majority of people heard something at this point, or are there a lot of you in the same boat I'm in? I haven't heard a peep.

My status still said "in review" when the system went down for maintenance last night. I'm tempted to look at this positively, and think that we might be on some sort of unofficial waitlist, but I know that that's dangerous.

On 2/13/2011 at 11:21 AM, bigdgp said:

So have the majority of people heard something at this point, or are there a lot of you in the same boat I'm in? I haven't heard a peep.

My page still says "in review" too... Or it did yesterday, anyway--they're "performing maintenance" right now, apparently.

Have any other admitted folks received information via snail mail, e-mail, or phone? This is my first acceptance--EVER--and one of my top choices to boot, so the part of my brain that enjoys torturing me keeps thinking, "what if there's a glitch in the online system and you're actually rejected?" How ridiculous am I??? :P

Have any other admitted folks received information via snail mail, e-mail, or phone? This is my first acceptance--EVER--and one of my top choices to boot, so the part of my brain that enjoys torturing me keeps thinking, "what if there's a glitch in the online system and you're actually rejected?" How ridiculous am I??? :P

I received a letter via snail mail just yesterday, so I'd look for yours sometime this next week.

I received a letter via snail mail just yesterday, so I'd look for yours sometime this next week.

I got a snail mail letter yesterday, too, and when my website status rolled to "Admitted" I called the graduate coordinator to confirm that that meant that I would be funded and everything.

Ohio State is one of my top choices, too.

I just checked the English Department's graduate handbook, and it says that the program funds all M.A./Ph.D. students in some way, shape, or form. But it's dated for the 2009-2010 academic year, so I hope that policy still holds. I admire your gumption, TC3--I'm too nervous to call! :)

I just checked the English Department's graduate handbook, and it says that the program funds all M.A./Ph.D. students in some way, shape, or form. But it's dated for the 2009-2010 academic year, so I hope that policy still holds. I admire your gumption, TC3--I'm too nervous to call! :)

Hah. It wasn't a big deal. The coordinator (read: administrator, not faculty member) seemed happy that I called, and said that she had expect at least a few people to call for confirmation before the graduate director got hold of them.

Edit: I called because last year a program to which I had applied showed that I was admitted on the website, but I called and was told that no funding was on the table. I had to make sure immediately; I couldn't walk around with any ambiguity.

Edited by TC3

Hah. It wasn't a big deal. The coordinator (read: administrator, not faculty member) seemed happy that I called, and said that she had expect at least a few people to call for confirmation before the graduate director got hold of them.

Edit: I called because last year a program to which I had applied showed that I was admitted on the website, but I called and was told that no funding was on the table. I had to make sure immediately; I couldn't walk around with any ambiguity.

Understandable. :) Maybe I'll see you in Ohio this fall!

Understandable. :) Maybe I'll see you in Ohio this fall!

Maybe so. As more programs notify (and I'm implicitly passed over), Ohio State looks more and more like it will be my top choice.

I haven't heard anything about the funding situation yet at OSU. I recall that the stipend is low (like ~12k?), but that may be outdated information.

Maybe so. As more programs notify (and I'm implicitly passed over), Ohio State looks more and more like it will be my top choice.

I haven't heard anything about the funding situation yet at OSU. I recall that the stipend is low (like ~12k?), but that may be outdated information.

I'm not sure that's the case anymore. I know fellowshipers receive around $18,500 (including summer funding), and those whose stipends come through T.A.ing, etc., receive a minimum of $14,000 (without summer funding). I wonder if you're allowed to work as a T.A. in the summer to stack up some more cash?

I'm not sure that's the case anymore. I know fellowshipers receive around $18,500 (including summer funding), and those whose stipends come through T.A.ing, etc., receive a minimum of $14,000 (without summer funding). I wonder if you're allowed to work as a T.A. in the summer to stack up some more cash?

That sounds better. Hopefully the graduate director will be in contact with us soon regarding real numbers.

No, I don't think you can count on summer work. It's available but I would not count on it. The stipend last year was 14,500 exactly.

Honestly it is very cheap to live in Columbus because it is not a nice city to live in, in my opinion. I would advise against living in Clintonville/North campus; I absolutely do not like it. Live in Victorian Village or the Short North, which, of course, is going to be more expensive because it's a nice place to live.

On 2/16/2011 at 10:42 AM, woolfie said:

No, I don't think you can count on summer work. It's available but I would not count on it. The stipend last year was 14,500 exactly.

Honestly it is very cheap to live in Columbus because it is not a nice city to live in, in my opinion. I would advise against living in Clintonville/North campus; I absolutely do not like it. Live in Victorian Village or the Short North, which, of course, is going to be more expensive because it's a nice place to live.

Victorian Village??? Sign me up!!! :D

Sorry if I've offended, I just really did not like my three years time here. Again, that might be because of the neighborhood, and not Columbus as a whole, as well as my personal preferences. It's important for me to be able to walk SOMEWHERE once in a while and this is a very suburban yet urban town. Worst of both worlds in my opinion. I am from Indiana and Columbus is really not that different from where I've grown up, so maybe that's why I'm ready to go. Take my opinion with a grain of salt; people are very different in what they like and are used to.