Ohio State acceptances

The results page shows a couple of acceptances from Ohio State -- if you're reading this, congrats! Can you please tell us if you were an internal or external candidate? Thanks. I'm an external applicant, and it still says "In Review."

On 2/4/2011 at 4:07 PM, fall-11 said:

The results page shows a couple of acceptances from Ohio State -- if you're reading this, congrats! Can you please tell us if you were an internal or external candidate? Thanks. I'm an external applicant, and it still says "In Review."

I knew they would notify soon, but I would have expected admits to be notified informally via email or phone instead of a web page update.

I don't think that I got the email about a user name and password for the status page, so I can't even check my own status! Talk about the anxiety of not knowing! :)

I'm an external applicant, accepted for my MA planning to go through for my PhD, so I'm thinking those are the decisions that have been posted so far. I didn't even know the decisions were up until I looked on the acceptance forum earlier!

I'm an external applicant, accepted for my MA planning to go through for my PhD, so I'm thinking those are the decisions that have been posted so far. I didn't even know the decisions were up until I looked on the acceptance forum earlier!

Thanks for responding -- and congratulations again! :)

Strange. Last year there were a few website notifications the first week of Feb, and then emails a few weeks later. I'm not sure what that means, but it may be that the early website notifications concern only the MA-to-PhD track, as it seems that everyone who has claimed an acceptance on this thread is MA-to-PhD, and last year several of the survey posts indicate Masters as the degree objective for the early web admits.

I already have an MA, so I'm applying just to the PhD. Perhaps that is done differently. Perhaps not. Speculation is miracle-gro for anxiety.

Strange. Last year there were a few website notifications the first week of Feb, and then emails a few weeks later. I'm not sure what that means, but it may be that the early website notifications concern only the MA-to-PhD track, as it seems that everyone who has claimed an acceptance on this thread is MA-to-PhD, and last year several of the survey posts indicate Masters as the degree objective for the early web admits.

I already have an MA, so I'm applying just to the PhD. Perhaps that is done differently. Perhaps not. Speculation is miracle-gro for anxiety.

Well, keep your chins up everyone - it looks like they're still admitting, as I just checked the website and saw that I was accepted! It's a great feeling, especially since I went 0/14 last year.

I have a British master's degree, so I think I applied as a direct admit PhD, although I can't recall for sure... I may have applied for MA to PhD since my master's doesn't exactly equate to an MA...

Edited by crutch

On 2/7/2011 at 3:30 PM, crutch said:

Well, keep your chins up everyone - it looks like they're still admitting, as I just checked the website and saw that I was accepted! It's a great feeling, especially since I went 0/14 last year.

That's great -- congratulations! :)

On 2/7/2011 at 3:30 PM, crutch said:

I have a British master's degree, so I think I applied as a direct admit PhD, although I can't recall for sure... I may have applied for MA to PhD since my master's doesn't exactly equate to an MA...

My status rolled over to "accepted" this morning. I called the graduate coordinator to confirm this this does actually mean that I am accepted with full departmental funding. As if I wasn't shocked enough, she told me that I was to be nominated for a graduate school fellowship, too.

This is my *third* year of applying. Both years past, I was rejected by all programs except for two that admitted me without any funding (which I declined for obvious reasons). This is my very first funded offer of acceptance, and it's from a really, really, really good program. I'm honestly shocked. I did my undergrad at a regional branch university, and my masters was unfunded. I honestly thought that I had *no* shot at a program like this.

On 2/9/2011 at 9:22 AM, TC3 said:

My status rolled over to "accepted" this morning. I called the graduate coordinator to confirm this this does actually mean that I am accepted with full departmental funding. As if I wasn't shocked enough, she told me that I was to be nominated for a graduate school fellowship, too.

This is my *third* year of applying. Both years past, I was rejected by all programs except for two that admitted me without any funding (which I declined for obvious reasons). This is my very first funded offer of acceptance, and it's from a really, really, really good program. I'm honestly shocked. I did my undergrad at a regional branch university, and my masters was unfunded. I honestly thought that I had *no* shot at a program like this.

That's awesome, congratulations!! :)

On 2/9/2011 at 9:22 AM, TC3 said:

Hey, hey! Congrats!

They used to have a terminal master's program, and now they only have PhD track. I think it was last year that they got rid of the master's program. Like all universities these days, they have having a lot of problems. Plus they are switching from quarters to semesters and that is causing problems with teaching loads, and the word round town is that they are going to double up the load.

Greetings, everyone! (And congrats to all Ohio State admits so far!)

I, too, posted an Ohio State acceptance--but I have mostly done results search lurking until recently, thus the reason for my comment's delay.

It seems Ohio State is a god-send for many of us in our second round of applications. Like many in this thread (and forum, no doubt), I received nothing but rejections last year, and am beyond ecstatic to finally have a funded Ph.D. offer to sit on! Three cheers for dogged endurance! :D

Woolfie, your post concerns me a bit: Is Ohio State planning to resort to absurd levels of composition slavery? :unsure:

Woolfie, your post concerns me a bit: Is Ohio State planning to resort to absurd levels of composition slavery? :unsure:

This is just a rumor, absolutely nothing is decided. I just know they are having budget problems and with the switch to semester, if they keep the teaching load one course per term, which is quarters now so 3 courses per year, it will switch to 2 per year on the semester. So that's less work for the same stipend so they are going to have to change it. I've just heard people say there is no way they can, with the budget, keep the stipend where it is for 2 courses per year, 1 per semester. I would think they should keep it three courses per year, have 2 courses in the second semester, but who knows.

Again, this is just what I've heard through hearsay. I think 2012 is the year for semester conversion.

Check your statuses, everyone. Mine just finally rolled over to a rejection, unfortunately. As with those who got acceptances, there was no associated email, so just go on and check the site.

Congrats to all of those who've been accepted here! It sounds like a great program.

On 2/9/2011 at 2:05 PM, woolfie said:

This is just a rumor, absolutely nothing is decided. I just know they are having budget problems and with the switch to semester, if they keep the teaching load one course per term, which is quarters now so 3 courses per year, it will switch to 2 per year on the semester. So that's less work for the same stipend so they are going to have to change it. I've just heard people say there is no way they can, with the budget, keep the stipend where it is for 2 courses per year, 1 per semester. I would think they should keep it three courses per year, have 2 courses in the second semester, but who knows.

Again, this is just what I've heard through hearsay. I think 2012 is the year for semester conversion.

Mine still says "In Review" but seeing those rejections on the results board is scaring me now :unsure:

Mine still says "In Review" as well...I feel like it must be an impending rejection, but at the same time I can't help but hope. Going crazy!