Ohio State acceptances

I've lived in Dallas, TX and Lincoln, NE. I currently live in Indianapolis. I'm looking forward to Columbus, and am appreciative of the neighborhood advice a few posts above. I visited Columbus for a day in January 2009 (the arm pit of winter, when no city looks pretty), and got the impression that the Clintonville and east-of-campus areas were not as nice as the others. I enjoyed the North Star Cafe, the Surly Girl Saloon, and that ice cream place on High Street when I was there.

That's nice to know that the load will not be 2/2, even if it goes to semesters.

I've lived in Dallas, TX and Lincoln, NE. I currently live in Indianapolis. I'm looking forward to Columbus, and am appreciative of the neighborhood advice a few posts above. I visited Columbus for a day in January 2009 (the arm pit of winter, when no city looks pretty), and got the impression that the Clintonville and east-of-campus areas were not as nice as the others. I enjoyed the North Star Cafe, the Surly Girl Saloon, and that ice cream place on High Street when I was there.

That's nice to know that the load will not be 2/2, even if it goes to semesters.

Lincoln, NE is THE GREATEST CITY ON EARTH! I miss my good ol' Cornhusker roots!

Lincoln, NE is THE GREATEST CITY ON EARTH! I miss my good ol' Cornhusker roots!

Great bus system. I did my MA there.

Starlite Lounge was the best. And of course the CoHo.

Great bus system. I did my MA there.

Starlite Lounge was the best. And of course the CoHo.

I remember the coffee house. I would see Goth kids there, and I would see professors there grading papers. While I am actually from there, it took me some time to realize that often smaller cities offer more culture than larger cities.

I'm still "In Review" even though it's been a while that they've been notifying. Is this a hopeful sign that I might be on a waitlist? Would it be really obnoxious to call the grad secretary and ask? :mellow:

I was wondering the same thing. At first I thought they might be notifying alphabetically (my last name is towards the end), but it's been a few days since anyone posted a new acceptance or rejection. Maybe they have more than one round?

I'm still "In Review" even though it's been a while that they've been notifying. Is this a hopeful sign that I might be on a waitlist? Would it be really obnoxious to call the grad secretary and ask? :mellow:

I don't think it would be obnoxious to call, fall-11. As long as you're diplomatic, I'm sure you'll receive a warm, if not helpful, response. :)

On 2/16/2011 at 6:56 PM, ecg1810 said:

I don't think it would be obnoxious to call, fall-11. As long as you're diplomatic, I'm sure you'll receive a warm, if not helpful, response. :)

Thanks ecg1810 -- I think I might just do that, maybe at the end of this week. Actually, I was waitlisted a couple of years back when I applied to the MA program, although eventually I was rejected from the waitlist. But still, at least being on a waitlist provides some hope.

I remember the coffee house. I would see Goth kids there, and I would see professors there grading papers. While I am actually from there, it took me some time to realize that often smaller cities offer more culture than larger cities.

Oh CoHo and their "wanna be in Greenpoint, NYC" Hipsterism. Fond memories.

Edited by bigdgp

Thanks to everyone who's provided Columbus insight. It's greatly appreciated! :D

I would advise you to be somewhat wary of anecdote as regards the quality of the various parts of "the greater campus area." It is true that most graduate students opt to live in the Short North/Victorian Village/Harrison West area (which, though divided nominally, are essentially one area), as it is closer to most of the 20-something nightlife, but many find themselves quite at home in Clintonville and/or the area northeast of campus. At risk of gross caricature, Short North tends to be more 20-something single and Clintonville tends to be more 20-to-30-something family, as the latter is a bit quieter. There are also a few who live in Grandview and some of the suburbs, as well as in German Village, a Clintonville-esque area south of downtown. There's just too much variation in personal preference to really be able to make a recommendation without knowing yours. The only solid piece of advice is to avoid living in the central campus area, which is undergrad party central (OSU's football fanaticism outdoes virtually all other schools'). I would also recommend avoiding the grey area between short north and campus, as it tends to be an unpleasant combination of college bro houses and low income housing (it's known to have a good deal of opportunistic crime). I should say that for the average grad student on a day-to-day basis, Columbus is essentially just a 4-mile north-south stretch along High St., the central corridor that goes north from downtown through the Short North, campus, and then Clintonville. Columbus's public transit is far from amazing in general, but the number 2 High St. line is reliable and, as an OSU student, bus fare is free. Going from North Clintonville to downtown will take you a little while on the bus, but it's not bad -- a bus is a bus. Also, campus-short-north-downtown stretch is pretty bike friendly.

Edited by straightshooting

In case there are others who are still waiting -- I called the grad coordinator today, and she said that over the last 2 weeks they've finished reviewing and notified most of the apps, and if I haven't heard yet, it means that I'm in the last remaining batch and will hear within a week. In other words, if we haven't heard, we're not out of the running yet. There may still be some acceptances in that last batch of apps. Fingers crossed!

That's great news, fall-11! Best of luck to you and all others still waiting.

Thanks ecg1810 -- it was thanks to you (a few posts above) that I mustered up the guts to call -- and you're right, the grad coordinator is quite friendly and was not at all irritated! It's great to have such wonderful Grad Cafe colleagues :)

Thanks ecg1810 -- it was thanks to you (a few posts above) that I mustered up the guts to call -- and you're right, the grad coordinator is quite friendly and was not at all irritated! It's great to have such wonderful Grad Cafe colleagues :)

Aw! Thanks--and same to you. Perhaps we'll even become official academia colleagues at Ohio State or another program! :)

My one was "In Review" this morning, but when I checked again in the afternoon, it had changed to a reject. Oh well.

Mine finally changed to "reject" today as well. Looks like they're finally getting through the final batch of applicants. Good luck to anyone still waiting!

Anyone else still waiting? I still haven't heard back from OSU and I checked my status today. It says that it's still in review. Is anyone else out there still waiting to hear from OSU?

I'm also still waiting (applied to same program). Heard anything? Tried contacting them? I think I'm going to check on Monday. I'd have to assume that this is a "we're seeing about funding" type deal at this point for me...and I guess you as well.

I'm also still waiting (applied to same program). Heard anything? Tried contacting them? I think I'm going to check on Monday. I'd have to assume that this is a "we're seeing about funding" type deal at this point for me...and I guess you as well.

Also still waiting.