SUNY - Buffalo

So I've been out here lurking for a while (and, like everyone, hitting refresh too many times), but I just received an e-mail from Graham Hammill letting me know I'm on their PhD. wait-list. (That was me on the results page.) Over 250 applicants for 13 spots, apparently; the wait-listing came with an unofficial (details to come, apparently) acceptance into their M.A. program.

Has anyone else heard anything?

Anyway, I guess I've got mixed feelings -- but it's certainly better than the days when I still thought I wanted to be a Classicist and went 0-for-everything.

So I've been out here lurking for a while (and, like everyone, hitting refresh too many times), but I just received an e-mail from Graham Hammill letting me know I'm on their PhD. wait-list. (That was me on the results page.) Over 250 applicants for 13 spots, apparently; the wait-listing came with an unofficial (details to come, apparently) acceptance into their M.A. program.

Anyway, I guess I've got mixed feelings -- but it's certainly better than the days when I still thought I wanted to be a Classicist and went 0-for-everything.

I applied to UB. I have yet to hear anything (no e-mails and no status change on the website). I see on the results board that there are 2 admit posts and 1 wait-list post. I wonder if rejections will go out later. Did your status change at all on the web site?

I'm early-modern/Shakespeare, and Graham Hammill was the prof I was looking to work with.

Oh yeah, when I checked my status it said that my application had not been reviewed yet. Good sign or bad sign?!

To be honest, I'm pretty sure it means no UB for us. In past years, they've notified in one fell swoop. Admits and wait listers have been notified, which means it's a safe bet that those of us who have heard nothing are rejected. I really wanted to work with Dr. Hammill and Dr. Carla Mazza, but aside from that, the general philosophy of the program (very heavy on modernism and theory) wasn't the best fit. I'm pulling for my office-mate to get in off the wait list, as UB is a much better institutional fit for him than it is for me (now Vanderbilt, UMD and U of Rochester, on the other hand, I want SOOOOO much to get in).

I applied last year, got my hopes way up about multiple waves of admits . . . and there was only one. Be prepared for rejections; their number of applicants tripled last year, and it looks like it's stayed steady this year, with no more $ and therefore no more spots.

Good luck with your other schools! I did not reapply here.

I applied last year, got my hopes way up about multiple waves of admits . . . and there was only one. Be prepared for rejections; their number of applicants tripled last year, and it looks like it's stayed steady this year, with no more $ and therefore no more spots.

Dream-crusher. dry.gif

Just messing with you. Thanks for the heads up about previous years. Good luck to you as well.

Congratulations on your admission/wait list offer! Buffalo these days is tending toward a policy of privileging PhD applicants who already hold an MA, who have a sufficiently focused project to complete the program within the timeframe they are guaranteed funding. Another school might look at your application in terms of its potential rather than its articulation of a clear focus, and admit you straight away to their PhD program - it's all a matter of what each program is looking for. From what I understand, although progression from Buffalo's MA to PhD track can sometimes be competitive for those not admitted to the PhD program from the get-go, many of their MA students subsequently gain admission to top programs. For those of you looking at the program for their early modernist resources, they definitely seem committed to growing their department in that direction. And both Graham Hammill and Carla Mazzio are super amazing :)

I just checked my email and I got accepted to the MA program and waitlisted for the PhD! I'm really excited about it, even if I don't get into the PhD program, the MA program is something to think about, at least. It's definitely not funded, but I thought I wasn't going to get in anywhere, so this is a good omen I hope!

Good luck to everyone else who applied!

Dude, I know . . . I didn't get in anywhere last year.

Cheers to second tries!

Cheers! Best to you in your pursuit. And here's to my good fortune in not listening to the dissuading arguments of my peers from applying to a "ridiculous" amount of schools. 11 seems pretty good right now.

Edited by TeamCoco-Bollo

I applied to UB. I have yet to hear anything (no e-mails and no status change on the website). I see on the results board that there are 2 admit posts and 1 wait-list post. I wonder if rejections will go out later. Did your status change at all on the web site?

I'm early-modern/Shakespeare, and Graham Hammill was the prof I was looking to work with.

I'm 20th century; I think I heard from Prof. Hammill because of he's one of the graduate coordinators. As for the website, mine still says "Not Reviewed" so at the very least they haven't updated wait-listed ones yet.

The e-mail I got said 250+ applications for 13 spots.

Also, if you're the person in the results (or elsewhere!) who mentioned having gone through Buffalo's MA program, I may want to assault you with questions. It depends on how the rest of the season goes for me. (And I thought I was impatiently awaiting to hear back BEFORE yesterday afternoon...)

Oh yeah, when I checked my status it said that my application had not been reviewed yet. Good sign or bad sign?!

Just spoke with the grad coordinator. She gave the "we're still reviewing the applications" response, and said that they'll have all notifications out in "a month, at least." dry.gif

Do you know if they are informing candidates who applied only to MA program later than those who applied for the PhD? Or are they reviewing all the applications at once?

Yes, I'm pretty sure they don't contact MA applicants until quite a while after the PhD letters go out. (This is confirmed by the results from past years.)

The e-mail I got said 250+ applications for 13 spots.

Also, if you're the person in the results (or elsewhere!) who mentioned having gone through Buffalo's MA program, I may want to assault you with questions. It depends on how the rest of the season goes for me. (And I thought I was impatiently awaiting to hear back BEFORE yesterday afternoon...)

Hey - I'm the admit on the results page who mentioned having done the MA there. I would be very happy to answer any questions you might have.

I am also on Buffalo's PhD wait-list. Buffalo is the only school that I've heard back from so far. I am definitely happy and hopeful but I'd like to know how many people are there before me. I also applied to Buffalo's Comparative lit program. Anyone heard back from there? Plus, anyone applied to Emory Comparative?

Hi,

I applied to Emory. Interviews during recruitment weekend occurred last week, and the initial round of offers occurred last Tuesday. I've been told that it is most likely the incoming class will be made up of those who have already been interviewed, but I think there is still a small chance for others. They are taking four students this year.

I am also on Buffalo's PhD wait-list. Buffalo is the only school that I've heard back from so far. I am definitely happy and hopeful but I'd like to know how many people are there before me. I also applied to Buffalo's Comparative lit program. Anyone heard back from there? Plus, anyone applied to Emory Comparative?

Also on waitlist. Heard I was at the top for my research area. If someone in my research area drops, I would be in, and so on.