Columbia-LSE MA/MSc Applicants?

Cornell07

• 4 weeks later...

Nah, and didn't end up applying for this. Not right for me and I think I prefer the MAPSS offer I got.... Good luck oseirus!

Thanks M'selle le monster ... seems I might be the only person on here going for the program this year but I know they get at least 200 people applying for the 20 or so seats so it is going to be just as tough as their PhD program

The two people I know in the Columbia/LSE dual-degree program both love it. One of them has been accepted into the top PhD programs in his field.

Do they have insight on how you can position yourself to gain entrance and/or funding?

Do they have insight on how you can position yourself to gain entrance and/or funding?

The application deadline was March 1, right? So, I don't think there is much you can do to alter your chances of acceptance. I think that with 20 spaces and 200 applicants, positioning yourself to gain entrance is about having a good SOP and writing sample. Also, I wouldn't submit the GRE scores unless they are very high. Those are just my thoughts but I'm seeing one of my friends on Tuesday and I'll ask for her opinion.

From what I understand you can get funding from Columbia for summer language courses but its competitive. The deadline for LSE funding was Jan 10.

The application deadline was March 1, right? So, I don't think there is much you can do to alter your chances of acceptance. I think that with 20 spaces and 200 applicants, positioning yourself to gain entrance is about having a good SOP and writing sample. Also, I wouldn't submit the GRE scores unless they are very high. Those are just my thoughts but I'm seeing one of my friends on Tuesday and I'll ask for her opinion.

From what I understand you can get funding from Columbia for summer language courses but its competitive. The deadline for LSE funding was Jan 10.

Some the questions I ask aren't necessarily for me (at least in this iteration of the application process) so I apologize if anyone gets exasperated but I do want to leave behind a blueprint of sorts for future applicants to see

• 2 weeks later...

I have been lurking, but today I thought I'd follow a whim and say hello. Hello! I am certain there are many of us out there anxiously (and silently) awaiting a response from the dual program.

As the deadline in years past was a bit later, I think that we might expect responses to come sooner than the precedent. I am hoping to hear before April 15, or else I will have to go another direction... c'est triste. ha.

Ok, let's see. I think a framework of answers for future applicants is a marvelous idea. I felt somewhat blind when I began the application process for this program, and it would have been nice to have some peers to consult with.

Anyone lurking out there who is currently in the program? It would be swell to get your perspective on the application process, courses, etc. I know that sometimes I feel like I am talking to a car salesman when I get info on MA programs directly from schools, but I think we would all prefer to go into a situation knowing what to expect from the experience, warts and all.

From what I gather, the program is a bit of a risk because it is weird. However, that is what makes it so attractive. Flexibility in what you can do both during and after your studies.

Want a PhD? You are set, just publish. Want a "real job"? Perhaps the program will help you make connections or add some sparkle to the old resume for that job with the OSCE. Obviously, the MA/MSc is intended for serious academics with global interest, so I assume the ideal student might be the sort to learn languages for fun and have some offbeat international experience in addition to loving the library.

Sorry for the book. Hope we can get a conversation started.

Hey there new friend! Don't apologize! All knowledge on here is appreciated b/c I am sure someone will find some use in it. Also, you should def jump in on the larger 2012 chit chat thread.

Anyone else applied? It seems like they let a lot more than "20" students in every intake...it hasn't even been three weeks yet and I know that acceptances/rejections aren't finalised until mid-April (at the earliest), but I'm anxious as hell! Hopefully my application/ background is good/interesting enough for them; my marks have been pretty average to be honest.

Any thoughts?

Anyone else applied? It seems like they let a lot more than "20" students in every intake...it hasn't even been three weeks yet and I know that acceptances/rejections aren't finalised until mid-April (at the earliest), but I'm anxious as hell! Hopefully my application/ background is good/interesting enough for them; my marks have been pretty average to be honest.

Any thoughts?

Hey there Fawlty ... from what I know of the program, it is fairly recent (i.e., 2008?) but they do their best to get an eclectic mix of people into it ... but the # seems to be set between 20-25 as far as acceptances go ... why I do not know ... I don't really know much else about it though ....

and here is the larger thread I mentioned

hey I saw that someone had gotten accepted into the program ... if you are on this thread and don't want to ID yourself do you mind inboxing me? Please and thank you

I applied to the dual degree program also. Turned in the application very late

and just wanted to give it a try. Reading their website gives me the impression

that they try to recruit students from different backgrounds and have a truly

diverse group to match the name of the program. And it's very expensive!

Was surprised that there are 200+ applicants and they only take about 20 students.

Oseirus, where did you get this information?

I applied to the dual degree program also. Turned in the application very late

and just wanted to give it a try. Reading their website gives me the impression

that they try to recruit students from different backgrounds and have a truly

diverse group to match the name of the program. And it's very expensive!

Was surprised that there are 200+ applicants and they only take about 20 students.

Oseirus, where did you get this information?

I spoke to the program coordinator

oh ic. that's very helpful info.

honestly i don't think i can get in b/c my application is pretty rushed.

but I hope you guys will hear good news soon.

and Oseirus - thanks for all the postings and discussions.

oh ic. that's very helpful info.

honestly i don't think i can get in b/c my application is pretty rushed.

but I hope you guys will hear good news soon.

and Oseirus - thanks for all the postings and discussions.

Well we're almost in April so they should be announcing officially here pretty soon. You gotta stay positive about these things.

This may be a ridiculous question, but how are they going to let us know if we got in or not? I mean, what about those of us who are overseas students—I doubt we'll get a call from them!!...regular post or email?? Oseirus, anyone been accepted yet?

A Basil Fawlty classic: "Hello?... Ah, yes Mr O'Reilly, well it's perfectly simple. When I asked you to build me a wall I was rather hoping that instead of just dumping the bricks in a pile you might have found time to cement them together... you know, one on top of another, in the traditional fashion."

And what's the deal with the downloadable forms folder on the application portal?...I haven't noticed any changes on my Application Status form..are there meant to be any changes?

did you also apply for a PhD?

No...........just the MA/MSc...also applied to King's College London..similar program

then that's why there is no change in your status on the app ... I believe they don't look at the majority of the applicants till around the end of this month and decisions are made in early April from what I was told

Well we're almost in April so they should be announcing officially here pretty soon. You gotta stay positive about these things.

Can't stay positive. I realized that many students in the program are a little bit too well established.

If not academically, at least professionally. A couple of them have even published their own books

before they got into the program. That's simply too much.

Can't stay positive. I realized that many students in the program are a little bit too well established.

If not academically, at least professionally. A couple of them have even published their own books

before they got into the program. That's simply too much.

Sorry to hear that you feel that way. Did you speak to anyone prior to applying? If you'd like you can inbox me.

Agree with Arcyoung: some of the students should be applying for government positions or something...I'm sorry, but what is Andrea Batista Schlesigner doing in this course?? Surely she is far too qualified or experienced to be studying this particular Masters....Oseirus, are you in the same league as them? You're not an Obama advisor, are you? haha...there are a lot of students who are quite normal...surprisingly enough, not as many international students as I'd thought though