Columbia-LSE MA/MSc Applicants?

Cornell07

Did anyone apply to Columbia+London School of Economics new MA/MSc program in World and International history? I was up at Columbia today, talking with one of the program coordinators, and she says the decisions should be available by mid-April! Talk about one hell of a turnaround time. Two to three weeks to make all admissions decisions! I guess it must be much easier when you don't have to worry about funding your applicants.

Do you know any information on it?

I started getting confused because when I called about it to have my application for the phd just moved over, she started asking me questions about what my full time work schedule will be...? is it mostly for people working full time?

FYI, the deadline was yesterday.

It is probably impossible to do the degree part-time as one year is spent in London. I had no problem having my PhD app moved to the MA folders. I just emailed the program coordinator and she moved it for me. Very helpful!

http://worldhistory.columbia.edu/

http://www.lse.ac.uk/collections/IDEAS/pdf/LSE-CU.pdf

• 3 weeks later...

I'd say it seems to be mid-April... Well, if I don't end up getting into this program and don't take on +30k of debt, I doubt I'll be too distraught. In the meanwhile, I've applied to some awesome jobs in the foreign policy field with the gov't. I didn't realize how much they love foreign policy wonks with a social science background. *gunning for the position in Naples, IT*

cornell07, I just turned down the offer due to personal financial reasons, so hopefully you can get my spot. I'll be reapplying next year and hopefully they will toss me a bone and offer a fellowship (I missed the FLAS deadline this year). And if not, well, like you said, going $60k in debt ($30k x 2 years) is something I won't cry over.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it is now the end of "next week," still no word, and I am sorry to say that my anxiousness has devolved into something of an annoyed ambivalence.

Final update: I didn't get in, but they said that they liked my app enough to waive my app-fee next year if I wish to reapply. So, that's some good news at the end of this whole process. Thanks for your support, everyone!

• 6 months later...

Hey guys, I came across the posts a few days ago after stumbling upon this degree from CU/LSE. I am actually a Business student and working in Budapest, Unilever. Whilst I've been here I have been interested in globalisation and how someone like myself (British Indian) have found myself in a country that was once occupied by Soviet Russia. I had an idea several weeks ago that it would be interesting to see what part the English language, particularly the British Empire and later the USA, have shaped the world in which we live. It was actually by chance that I stumbled upon this degree program as I was searching for an MSc in Management or International Business!

I have sent an email enquiry to both Universities. It states on the website that any degree background is welcome, however I would still like to figure out what chance I have to get in. I read somewhere that 10 places were offered last year on this program. Can anyone give me any helpful info or know anyone who is applying this year that can be of any assistance? Or what you think I should do to boost my chances of getting in?

Thanks Yogesh.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yeah reading the old thread makes me somewhat concerned b/c they didn't give back answers till mid-April so it's not really a workable backup plan as far as I can tell ... but maybe that's just me?

I think fairly high, because we'd be paying a ton of money. My issue with applying to this program is that I already live in NYC, and I'm worried about moving to London for a short period of time (like quitting my ongoing jobs, dealing with what my partner would do in england or if he'd stay here, etc). But it is an amazing program! I'll cross that bridge when I get to it :)