Columbia-LSE MA/MSc Applicants?

Cornell07

I guess I can speak on it now ... I did do an early request (though, as I told some people privately, I did not post that on results page) ... I contacted the other schools/jobs I had offers from and told them I would be going to the Columbia/LSE program instead ... I also notified the school as well ... I still haven't received much in the way of official notification/paperwork so I can't speak to much on that ... however I think I have shared pretty much all that I do know up to this point

WOOOO OSEIRUS!! So excited for you! Have you heard about funding and all? How exciting!

Congrats on your acceptance!

I highly recommend 'SO461: Racial Formations of Modernity' with Paul Gilroy. 'SO447: Topics in Race, Ethnicity and Post-Colonial Studies' (my core course) with Paul Gilroy and Suki Ali is also good.

Sharad Chari teaches a great course called 'Race and Space' in the Geography Department.

The Gender Institute is also amazing...Gender Research Methods with Astrida Neimanis (interactive seminar with weekly guest speakers) and Narratives of the Modern with Mary Evans (very small...about 6 to 8 students) were two of my favorite LSE courses.

I didn't take any history courses at LSE but I've heard good things about 'Race, Violence and Colonial Rule in Africa' with Joanna Lewis.

Of course this info only matters in your second year. Enjoy the first year at Columbia! The dissertation for Dual Degree students is due at LSE around the same time that all of your Lent Term essays are due. So, choose your lent term courses at LSE wisely.

I guess I can speak on it now ... I did do an early request (though, as I told some people privately, I did not post that on results page) ... I contacted the other schools/jobs I had offers from and told them I would be going to the Columbia/LSE program instead ... I also notified the school as well ... I still haven't received much in the way of official notification/paperwork so I can't speak to much on that ... however I think I have shared pretty much all that I do know up to this point

Thank you all so much! I just hope I can make you grad cafers proud ...and thanks for the inputs Joga ... I def will be inboxing you and asking you some questions about this "lent term" nonsense you speak of ... next you'll be telling me of Michaelmas and Whitsun ... like anyone actually follows those things

I'm sure you must have heard about the religious requirement at LSE? You will fail your dissertation if you do not acknowledge and celebrate ALL religious festivals. It's absolutely tiresome but luckily the Chaplaincy on Kingsway street provides a list of global religious holidays. Don't worry, you'll get all of this information at orientation.

I am sorry if I worried anyone. I received an email from the program coordinator at about 7pm last night. However, the email was not a form letter and was specifically sent in response to my call on Wednesday. So all of you waiting out there do not fear!

I was wait listed for the program. Since it is clear I would not receive funding, this is actually a blessing even though it is a disappointment. As I said in my earlier post it would have been a tough decision to turn down the dual degree even with other options on the table. I'm off to another ivy that offered me support as well as the potential for a ta position. All the best to everyone as you find your perfect fit (and congratulations O!).

I am sorry if I worried anyone. I received an email from the program coordinator at about 7pm last night. However, the email was not a form letter and was specifically sent in response to my call on Wednesday. So all of you waiting out there do not fear!

I was wait listed for the program. Since it is clear I would not receive funding, this is actually a blessing even though it is a disappointment. As I said in my earlier post it would have been a tough decision to turn down the dual degree even with other options on the table. I'm off to another ivy that offered me support as well as the potential for a ta position. All the best to everyone as you find your perfect fit (and congratulations O!).

Thanks for the clarification. And good luck with your future studies :)

haha, nah the wait is just so agonising...I'm normally a positive person, but honestly my chances of getting into this program aren't very high at all. I would just like to know so I can accept my other offer and forget about the whole admissions process....until the PhD that is!! (Coolio: "I'll see you when you get there....if you ever get there..." starts running through my mind..very random)

haha, nah the wait is just so agonising...I'm normally a positive person, but honestly my chances of getting into this program aren't very high at all. I would just like to know so I can accept my other offer and forget about the whole admissions process....until the PhD that is!! (Coolio: "I'll see you when you get there....if you ever get there..." starts running through my mind..very random)

Oh congratulations on the other offer. That's great. And I'll cross my fingers for you on

this one. So you'll have options.. It's always good to have options :P also - don't

underestimate yourself.

Edited by arcyoung

Thanks Arcyoung. Have you heard anything yet? P. S. I wonder if the admin of GSAS at Columbia ever look at this page and laugh at how stressed out we get!!

I hope to Allah they don't! Some people might not have a sense of humor and this place is supposed to be a fun outlet etc. Please sweet YHWH don't let those admins be on here!

Just got my application decision. They didn't want me. Where do I go now?

Sorry to hear that. Relax, relax. Maybe this is the end for this application season,

but certainly not for the next. Taking off a year or two may get you into some

really awesome programs. The guy who started this thread didn't get into the

dual degree program when he applied a few years ago but did get into Yale

after a couple of years in the professional world. So for you - wayy to go.. Stay

positive.

I'm really sorry for what I now see as a rather emotional, nervous post. I guess I was extremely short-sighted when applying to postgrad study, and while I feel rather jealous of some of my friends who are going into postgrad study next year, perhaps maybe this is for the best. Taking a year out may not be as bad as I think, and maybe a few years in the workplace may make me better prepared to get into a really nice programme.

Thanks for the support guys. I may have lost the battle, but the war is far from over

I'm really sorry for what I now see as a rather emotional, nervous post. I guess I was extremely short-sighted when applying to postgrad study, and while I feel rather jealous of some of my friends who are going into postgrad study next year, perhaps maybe this is for the best. Taking a year out may not be as bad as I think, and maybe a few years in the workplace may make me better prepared to get into a really nice programme.

Thanks for the support guys. I may have lost the battle, but the war is far from over

I'm sorry! You'll get in somewhere!!

May I ask, were you notified by email or website? I still haven't gotten an official decision and am getting worried.

CrazedRaven, apply to the King's College Program (MA World History and Cultures)..it's a very similar program and the professors there are excellent...to all those who haven't received anything from Columbia yet, there's a good chance that you may have been accepted (although, PLEASE don't take my word for it). As far as I can tell, GSAS Columbia has sent out notifications to all the waitlisted or rejected applicants, but not yet to those that have been accepted. I know that I've been accepted because I spoke with the program co-ordinator, but I still haven't received any emails/ notifications from GSAS confirming this.

Anyway, look into the KCL program...some of the professors there are the best in their field and if you're into colonial/imperial history, it's definitely the best in the UK (perhaps other than Oxford).

Good luck to everyone else!