University of Iowa

I just noticed that someone posted an acceptance via website. When I logged in, it said my decision was still in progress.

Congratulations to whoever got in! If you care to discuss, did you receive an email notifying you of the decision being available on the site, or did you just randomly check?

Congrats again!

For some reason, after I log in as byronlover, my account shows up as bryonlover (misspelled). Trying to log in the misspelled way fails. I am mystified. Just wanted to clarify that I know how to spell Byron's name. :)

That's so funny - I didn't even notice!

Do you mind sharing your stats and the profs with whom you're interested in working? I'm really surprised that you've been notified so early - this may be the earliest Iowa acceptance on record at Gradcafe! :)

Do you mind sharing your stats and the profs with whom you're interested in working? I'm really surprised that you've been notified so early - this may be the earliest Iowa acceptance on record at Gradcafe! :)

Yes, I second the strangeness of the notification. It's almost a month earlier than last year's notifications, which also were e-mailed rather than first updated on the grad school page.

On 2/9/2011 at 8:42 AM, TC3 said:

Yes, I second the strangeness of the notification. It's almost a month earlier than last year's notifications, which also were e-mailed rather than first updated on the grad school page.

You guys are making me nervous! I double-checked the page again this morning to make sure I hadn't dreamed up my acceptance.. luckily, I hadn't. :)

I graduated summa cum laude from Washington University in 2009 and am completing my MA now at the University of Virginia (~3.9 GPA). My GREs were 730 verbal, 600 quantitative, and 6.0 writing. I work on the long nineteenth century, but specifically the Victorian novel and animal studies. I want to work with Teresa Mangum, whose publications on pet culture (and dogs especially) align perfectly with my thesis on dogs in Eliot and Dickens, and possibly with Florence Boos, since I've just started researching on Victorian domestic spaces.

Good luck to the both of you!

On 2/9/2011 at 9:49 AM, bryonlover said:

You guys are making me nervous! I double-checked the page again this morning to make sure I hadn't dreamed up my acceptance.. luckily, I hadn't. :)

I graduated summa cum laude from Washington University in 2009 and am completing my MA now at the University of Virginia (~3.9 GPA). My GREs were 730 verbal, 600 quantitative, and 6.0 writing. I work on the long nineteenth century, but specifically the Victorian novel and animal studies. I want to work with Teresa Mangum, whose publications on pet culture (and dogs especially) align perfectly with my thesis on dogs in Eliot and Dickens, and possibly with Florence Boos, since I've just started researching on Victorian domestic spaces.

Hah! Maybe if we talk about it enough on the forum we'll alter reality with our thought-energy :).

The Virginia MA is impressive, and animal studies are getting a lot of respect. Congrats. I drove through Iowa City one time. It looked like a neat place.

On 2/9/2011 at 9:49 AM, bryonlover said:

Congrat, byronlover! Iowa has a terrific, terrific program! Oddly enough, it seems we have scarily similar research interests, and mentioned some of the same professors in our SOPs. I guess this means I'm out since they probably don't want two people working on identical topics. . . ah well. Many congratulations to you again. This is a wonderful achievement! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone hear anything from Iowa lately? It's one of my last few chances. Seems like we might be hearing soon. (p.s. congrats to the previous admit!)

I've been nervously refreshing my e-mail and status checker all morning in anticipation. Hopefully they'll put us out of our misery soon. :blink:

Thanks again, guys!

If it makes anyone feel better, I still have heard nothing from the department. The letter telling me of my acceptance came from the graduate school. I'm actually in the process of emailing the DGS now, since it's been three weeks since I got the good news and I would like to know something! If I come up with anything useful, I'll share.

Good luck!

Thanks again, guys!

If it makes anyone feel better, I still have heard nothing from the department. The letter telling me of my acceptance came from the graduate school. I'm actually in the process of emailing the DGS now, since it's been three weeks since I got the good news and I would like to know something! If I come up with anything useful, I'll share.

Good luck!

That would be great, thank you. :)

Thanks again, guys!

Good luck!

Thanks, byronlover!

C'mon, Iowa. . . get with the program. . . Don't you want to be like those other cool schools that have already sent out notifications? :P

Edited by ecg1810

One acceptance is posted this morning. It is for University of Iowa. But I don't know what it means by saying "No word on funding for a few weeks."

Maybe I'm just really dense or blind. . . or both. . . but I truly can't find this post. :huh: It's not showing up on my compy.

Edited by ecg1810