1,187 members have voted

1. 1. How old are you?

• 21 or younger
    • 22-25
    • 26-30
    • 31-35
    • 36 or older

Question

How did you sell yourself in your interviews despite your long age? I ask as I am simialr age as you. thanks

So how did you explain why you want to do PhD at 40+? I ask as I am an old applicant too. Your feedbacl would really help. thanks

My life has unfolded in a way that necessitated a new trajectory; a career path that makes the best use of my skills, aptitude, and life experience. I'm in a situation where I will not be able to retire, and I wanted to secure training that was rich, engaging, challenging, and with a great deal of potential income settings and options.

Clinical psychology fits that profile for me. One obvious benefit is the maturity and wisdom that my age and life experience brings to the table. Another is that I will more easily fit into a role that demands authority; people (staff, clients) are less likely to assume I am a "new" Psychologist.

I am 37 by the time I get to grad school in the Fall 2012. Still waiting for other schools, but finally got admitted to one school for now. I am old and going to interview seemed weird because I am the oldest out of all the candidates. It may be a disadvantage as well as an advantage.

24, ou la la :D according to my country customs, should get married asap, almost spinster :)

so.. if I decide to do Phd studies, I am joining spinster_forever club automatically, hehe :)

Psh, my mom's college roommate got married for the first time at almost 50 (47, I think) just meant there was a bigger party afterwards.

I will be 37 when I start grad school in the Fall. Will I be too old for getting a PhD program? I wish I could of start earlier in my life. What do you think? I am curious of how many people in the over 35+ club that is applying and going to graduate school.

I really didn't have to explain why I wanted to return to school at my age. The programs that invited me knew my age, and had decided they were interested anyway. The programs that had an issue with it . . . those were probably the ones that sent me quick rejections. Although there were other issues they could have had with my record. And now that I'm in my program, it's even less of an issue.

Just turned 29. I only admit to 24 or 25 though. I had to take a few years off in the middle of undergrad because of major health problems but ended up getting a real job and caring for my grandmother until she died. I wouldn't be studying what I'm studying if I hadn't taken that time off and lived in the "real world" for five years, so I never saw it as a problem. Of course, I look younger, so I usually don't have people question me about it.

I am curious of how many people in the over 35+ club that is applying and going to graduate school.

I am 38 (soon to be 39) and plan to return to grad school full-time this fall. My story may be different from the rest though. I didn't start undergraduate studies until I was 31. I completed a four-year degree in just 5 semesters, and obtained a master's from an ivy-league university degree immediately after undergrad. I held a two-year research fellowship at a university in northern Europe and have one year of work experience in my field since completing my masters degree in 2008. I also co-authored a book chapter and have three published papers. I was awarded several fellowships, scholarships and other awards as an undergrad and grad student, including four national scholarships.

I initially planned to pursue a doctoral degree immediately after completing my master's degree and applied to PhD programs at Harvard, NYU, and others. Amazingly I was admitted into all five programs I applied to but turned them down in the end in favor of the research fellowship in Europe. I have decided that now is the right time for me to continue advanced studies. This time, however, I have only applied to one program and interview for that program next month.

As for my age, it has never been an issue because I think my academic record speaks for itself.

I'm 26, and will be 27 by the time I start. I don't think my age makes any difference whatsoever. Maybe it would if I were 40.

I spent 3 years in industry and am about to finish up a 2 year M.S. degree. That explains the 5 year differential. Hey, at least I wasn't a ski bum or something. smile.gif

I spent 3 years as a "ski bum" after finishing my undergrad, and I don't see any problem with it. I have some life experiences that most people will never get, and I actually lived completely for myself for 3 years. Something most people also don't do. You only get that chance once in your life, and I would never trade those three years for anything.

38, I'll be 39 in May. Time sure does go by. When I was most of your ages, I was in the military. This will be my last year applying to programs after numerous rounds of unsuccessful attempts. Hopefully it turns out good, if not, I gave it my best to reach my goals. I truly admire you guys who have the opportunities to go for your dreams at such a young age. I hope the same for my children some day.

I'm 27, will be 28 by the time I start my program. I feel old, but considering I didn't begin my undergrad until I was 23, I'm used to being in a group of intellectual peers who aren't my chronological peers.

It makes me feel like a granny sometimes, but I'm well rehearsed at checking my ego and vanity at the door (as well as my temptation to look patronizingly on my younger classmates), and just getting on with the work.

My life before I decided to pursue my BA (on a total whim..) was in an entirely unrelated field, and one that is very time-sensitive, and it therefore didn't help my applications any as I didn't spend my pre-academic years doing relevant/useful things...but it certainly helped me to settle down my desires and plans and know exactly what I want.

We all get here in our own way, and we all want different things out of our experience. I don't subscribe to theories that insist there is a "right" or "optimal" age for grad school. :)

I am 20 - turning 21 in June. Lots of AP credits and very careful undergrad planning has allowed me to graduate a year early (but still w/ a good amount of research exp. and study). I'm hoping programs don't think that I'm too young. We shall see!

Same here. Turning 21 in July. I graduated 1.5 years early thanks to community college classes during high school. The problem is I am applying for a bunch of more professional IR masters programs and a lot of them want years of full time work experience that I don't have. I got into one great program with partial funding but am waiting to see the full extent of my options.

I'm 41. After my BA, I had a high-flying corporate career. I went back to graduate school when I was 35. Three graduate degrees later, I am now launching into PhD studies. While being older hasn't helped me get in, especially given the grade inflation problem, I was better prepared to study going back as a more mature student. I study better, smarter, and have more perseverance than I ever did in my twenties. It is possible to do this in one's thirties and forties, and it is possible to do it well.

Just finishing my undergrad at 35 years old. I was looking forward to not feeling quite so out of place in grad school, but this forum makes me feel just as old sitting in class does (which is kind of sad because I *know* 35 isn't old, but tell that to my vanity when it sits beside the 17 year old in my Spanish class).

Hmm . . . I don't feel old in grad school until I look in the mirror and see my grey hair. Learning so much new material makes me feel younger than sitting around at home or driving kids around ever did. Sure, I notice that my classmates are mostly in their 20s, with an occasional 30-something thrown into the mix, but I really don't feel all that different. We're all working towards the same immediate goals. I am really fortunate in that none of the faculty I have directly interacted with have made me feel out-of-place. Though I am tempted, because I'm nuts, to take a class with the person who was really discouraging when I interviewed for one program.

I know this is an old forum and inactive, but if anyone feels "too old" for grad school, I will be starting the doctoral program t Stony Brook this fall just as I turn 73. Admittedly I did not seek financial aid, since younger folks need it more than I, but I found my age not to be a handicap in the application process; I actually think they found my life experience to be an asset.

Am I the only one who feels that this poll seems pretty lopsided? Where are the 35-40, 40-50, 50-60, 65+ or 75+ categories? It's not like people don't go for their Masters or PhD at those ages.