1,187 members have voted

1. 1. How old are you?

• 21 or younger
    • 22-25
    • 26-30
    • 31-35
    • 36 or older

Question

Another in the over 40 crowd. I got diverted from my path over the years, but happy to finally getting back on track. I am definitely a more mature individual with a lot more to offer now than I did 20 years ago. Hopefully the adcoms can see that.

I'm 29, will be 30 when I start school, if I get in (fingers crossed!). It's a little intimidating to think about studying with a bunch of 22 year-olds, but I've been wanting to go back for years. I've spent my time doing related work, and am hoping that will help: I got my MA in comp. lit., taught English at a high school for two, ESL abroad for two, and now am teaching at the university level as a Peace Corps volunteer. I'm not sure how much weight real-world experience is given in the field of English literature though. Any ideas?

Edited by rachaelskaya

I am 32 and will be 33 by next fall. I don't think age matters as much as experience in my field (education). For the majority of the PhD programs I applied to, teaching experience in real classrooms (not tutoring, not substitute teaching) and a Master's degree was required. Given that I started teaching straight out of college, I now have 10 years of classroom teaching experience and a Master's degree going into the program. Along with pretty good GRE scores, great letters of rec, and a research-focused SOP, I think I have a good shot at gaining acceptance to top programs. It's hard to research teaching and learning if you've never been a teacher. Just being a student for most of your life does not qualify you to understand the flip side of being a classroom teacher, particularly in urban settings or diverse populations of students.

I am 32 and will be 33 by next fall. I don't think age matters as much as experience in my field (education). For the majority of the PhD programs I applied to, teaching experience in real classrooms (not tutoring, not substitute teaching) and a Master's degree was required. Given that I started teaching straight out of college, I now have 10 years of classroom teaching experience and a Master's degree going into the program. Along with pretty good GRE scores, great letters of rec, and a research-focused SOP, I think I have a good shot at gaining acceptance to top programs. It's hard to research teaching and learning if you've never been a teacher. Just being a student for most of your life does not qualify you to understand the flip side of being a classroom teacher, particularly in urban settings or diverse populations of students.

I have a similar background. Plus, I agree that it is difficult to develop a theoretical framework without practical experience, specifically in education. Although, I'm sure this is much different for other programs. Which schools are you applying to?

Edited by litjust

@Spriteling, at least take a few months before you start your program to have fun and travel. I also graduated at 20 (turned 21 shortly after) and took a year off. I'm applying for graduate schools now at age 22, and I'm happy I didn't go straight into school from college. However, I do feel that even a month of true freedom will make you feel better.

@Spriteling, at least take a few months before you start your program to have fun and travel. I also graduated at 20 (turned 21 shortly after) and took a year off. I'm applying for graduate schools now at age 22, and I'm happy I didn't go straight into school from college. However, I do feel that even a month of true freedom will make you feel better.

Yeah, that's what I'm planning on doing. :) I'm going to take the three or so months between graduation and starting my PhD to just do fun things. I think I may treat myself to a trip to South Africa or something. Should be fun!

I recently turned 22; graduated from undergrad in May 2011 but wanted to get some additional experience in my field this summer/fall before applying to grad programs.

I definitely think it was the right choice for me and that I am a stronger candidate now than I would have been this time last year.

Edited by Pitangus

Yeah, that's what I'm planning on doing. :) I'm going to take the three or so months between graduation and starting my PhD to just do fun things. I think I may treat myself to a trip to South Africa or something. Should be fun!

S. Africa is amazing. Go to Kruger National Park (and a private reserve if you can spring for the $$$). Best trip evah!

I entered my Master's in Clinical Psychology at the age of 21 (fresh from undergrad), and now I'm applying to PhD programs in Quantitative Psychology at the age of 23. It's surprising how much maturity and life experience I've gained in just two years. My research focus, my perspective on psychology... Nearly everything seems to have changed, and for the better, I think. I don't think age matters so much as what you're doing with your time; four years of undergrad did not provide nearly as much maturity as two years of graduate work! I imagine the same can be said for other life experiences, too!

I am just over 50, though I went back to school not that long ago and got my BA (economics, summa cum laude), then MA (economics, grad GPA 3.73) and now applying to Ph.D. programs in econ and marketing. I am interested in behavioral economics. My limitation is that I cannot apply to schools that are very far from my home in Ohio as I have a lot of family commitments.

Having recent coursework (especially in mathematics, and economics) has eliminated the problem of old grades. MY GRE scores were good - though not perfect. But I notice that for a 50 year old guy my scores are off the charts... just not compared with 23 year old male Asian math students.

I have done independent research in the past 2 years as well, and presented at some conferences. I also was asked to teach at my previous school (principles of econ classes) -- I think those two things really helped my application.

They also helped me get some really strong letters of recommendation from my professors who know me not just as a student, but researcher and teacher. They all put together detailed, personalized letters for me.

But I am worried about ageism... I will know by March 15th.

I'm 27. Sometimes I wish I'd gone straight into grad school, but I'm glad that I took some time off. I met my boyfriend, got an MLIS degree, got some work experience at several different jobs, and got a handle on the depression I've had for many years. So I think I'll be better off in grad school now than I would have been if I'd gone straight in after undergrad.

MY GRE scores were good - though not perfect. But I notice that for a 50 year old guy my scores are off the charts... just not compared with 23 year old male Asian math students.

But I am worried about ageism... I will know by March 15th.

First of all, bravo to you for going back to school and getting your BA, MA, and aiming high. You sound like someone who is going to succeed in whatever you set your mind to.

Second of all, I'm younger than you (though still "old" relative to most of the posters in this thread) and share your experience about the energy that going back to school can bring--I'm now in a MA program, applying to PhDs--AND your hope that ageism doesn't factor in to admissions decisions.

Finally, can you tell me how you found out your GRE scores as relative to testers' ages? That's something I'd never thought about before.

I'm 27. Sometimes I wish I'd gone straight into grad school, but I'm glad that I took some time off. I met my boyfriend, got an MLIS degree, got some work experience at several different jobs, and got a handle on the depression I've had for many years. So I think I'll be better off in grad school now than I would have been if I'd gone straight in after undergrad.

PM'ing you. : )

Edited by bespeckled

I'm 24. Took a job after I earned my undergraduate degree to get some research experience. It was one of the best decisions I've ever made and I'm so glad I'm not going into a Ph.D. program as a green 22-year-old. I would recommend that anyone wanting to go to graduate school work in their field first. You will not only be a better candidate, but more sure of your interests and career path.

I am 31...I used to regret not finishing college right out of high school but I had no idea what I wanted to do with myself and I think I gained a lot of important life experiences in the interim that will hopefully help in my chosen field (counseling) - at least that's what I am hoping the adcomms will think!

If I get accepted this year then I will begin my MA-to-PhD program at 25 years old.

I got my double-major + year abroad undergraduate degree at 21 years old and I had every intention of shooting right to the top of some big-name PhD program. The years since have been...interesting.

At certain points in the road I had to choose things like personal health, mental rest, psychological assurance, religious beliefs, and my relationship with my boyfriend (now fiance) over school. While scholastic disappointment hurts badly, I am 100% confident that not being exclusively focused on my education means that I am better able to handle rejection, and that I am a better human being overall.

I do hope that anyone in their late teens/early 20s who feels like their entire life hangs on graduate school acceptance finds external validation and motivation elsewhere, even if they get the results that they want. Relying on smarts alone can be as fragile as relying on beauty.