1,187 members have voted

1. 1. How old are you?

• 21 or younger
    • 22-25
    • 26-30
    • 31-35
    • 36 or older

Question

30. I don't think it's made any difference in my application success, but then I look young and took a while to complete my BA, so (if you assume people are 22 at graduation) it looks on paper like I'm 24 or 25! HAH! :-)

I turn 40 in June and I sure hope it is helpful to my shot at admission. I know the rest of you have an excellent chance of getting older, but I haven't quite figured out a way to get younger (any recommendations from Biology or Physics friends would be appreciated).

I know I stand out from the crowd, which is good in any competition that involves tons of identical packets. When and if the interviews happen, I have several advantages. I seem to be taken more seriously by faculty and staff. I'm often confused for a PhD student, which makes me feel like I look the part. Like everyone else my age, I've taken on tough challenges and survived but more importantly, I can quantify how I survived.

Unfortunately I will get some ugly questions my younger competitors won't.

"Why didn't you try this years or even a couple of decades ago?" How do you answer that without sounding like a slacker?

"If you get a PhD, you will probably only have about twenty years to use it. Is that worth the investment?"

20, turn 21 in July. Doubt anyone cares that I graduated in 3 years, doubt they'll freak out about me being too young. Age is probably just a number here, I hope.

26 (27 in June). Still got it, though.

I think my age is helpful because I've gained experience with my age; I'm not fresh out of college and have been working (in the same field I plan to study for a doctorate, pharmacology) for over 4 years. If I was doing some non-relevant work during those 4 years, my age wouldn't mean much in terms of being "more" prepared.

Edited by greengrass2

I am 39. I emigrated to the U.S. 3 years ago but had not studied English before. Now, I feel ready to apply to Graduate school. If I had won a green card 10-15 years ago, I would have applied in the age of 24-29. Consequently, the age is an accidental factor in my case:-).

Turning 25 in a week and a half...I doubt my age will matter to adcoms, but I honestly have no idea how a 21 or 22-year old has enough time to be ready for grad school as soon as they graduate. It took me a couple years of meandering through art school and community college to figure out what I wanted to do. I admire those of you who can do it, though :)

I turn 40 in June and I sure hope it is helpful to my shot at admission. I know the rest of you have an excellent chance of getting older, but I haven't quite figured out a way to get younger (any recommendations from Biology or Physics friends would be appreciated).

I know I stand out from the crowd, which is good in any competition that involves tons of identical packets. When and if the interviews happen, I have several advantages. I seem to be taken more seriously by faculty and staff. I'm often confused for a PhD student, which makes me feel like I look the part. Like everyone else my age, I've taken on tough challenges and survived but more importantly, I can quantify how I survived.

Unfortunately I will get some ugly questions my younger competitors won't.

"Why didn't you try this years or even a couple of decades ago?" How do you answer that without sounding like a slacker?

"If you get a PhD, you will probably only have about twenty years to use it. Is that worth the investment?"

Well, ha, I'm almost exactly 4 years older than you (also a June birthday,) and also applied to HCC. Georgia Tech has undoubtedly put both of our applications in the "old person" pile.

26. I specifically waited this long to apply because my field (MFA-Theatre Directing) expects a good deal of professional experience outside of undergrad. I just hope I've waited long enough! Many other applicants in my field are older and more experienced than me.

I'm 50. Age matters. I've been told that I am being selfish and taking places away from younger students that have a longer potential career and potentially more opportunity to generate grant revenue for the department. I've been told that since I have a house and a husband and adult children I should let younger people have a chance at the same things. I've been told that my undergrad marks from the late 70's/early 80's can't be compared to current marks because marking standards have changed due to grade inflation (shouldn't that make my marks appear more favorable when you consider "inflation"?) I've been told to give up and go get a job. I have been asked if I think I am too old to have a dream of getting a PhD. I feel badly for ad com members when I get that question because apparently they no longer have any dreams.

Edited by summer_reader