1,187 members have voted

1. 1. How old are you?

• 21 or younger
    • 22-25
    • 26-30
    • 31-35
    • 36 or older

Question

I'm 27. Took forever and a day to get through undergrad because I was working part-time in motorsports public relations - finally finished my bachelor's degree in journalism in May. Took a "gap year" to work and figure out my next move, and ended up applying to graduate school in a completely different field but with a research direction leveraging my communications skills.

I'm 50. Age matters. I've been told that I am being selfish and taking places away from younger students that have a longer potential career and potentially more opportunity to generate grant revenue for the department. I've been told that since I have a house and a husband and adult children I should let younger people have a chance at the same things. I've been told that my undergrad marks from the late 70's/early 80's can't be compared to current marks because marking standards have changed due to grade inflation (shouldn't that make my marks appear more favorable when you consider "inflation"?) I've been told to give up and go get a job. I have been asked if I think I am too old to have a dream of getting a PhD. I feel badly for ad com members when I get that question because apparently they no longer have any dreams.

o_0

I really don't understand why people are against anyone getting more education. The time you have to make use of your degree shouldn't have any impact on getting into a program. It should purely be qualification and fit. I'm sure the younger applicants can get a house and spouse and children without a doctorate, and who's to say these whipper snappers won't die the day after they receive their PhD?

Golden Monkey, I wish you the best of luck I can as a competitor. tongue.gif Seriously though, I hope they let both of us in. We'll get lawn chairs, put them in technology square and yell at the kids to stay off of our lawn.

Summer_reader, you are simply cool. Thank you for the nice reply I have now loaded for the interview committee.

I'm 50. Age matters . . . I have been asked if I think I am too old to have a dream of getting a PhD. I feel badly for ad com members when I get that question because apparently they no longer have any dreams.

I'm 40+, and I've just been on one interview, but I have not had that reaction at all. One interviewer DID ask why I wanted a PhD when I could do consulting and conceivably earn a lot more (As if THAT would be so easy!), but that was still a complimentary kind of comment, I thought. Sorry you've been getting less encouraging feedback. Still waiting to hear back, though, since interview was this week, so we'll see how it works out.

I'm 40+, and I've just been on one interview, but I have not had that reaction at all. One interviewer DID ask why I wanted a PhD when I could do consulting and conceivably earn a lot more (As if THAT would be so easy!), but that was still a complimentary kind of comment, I thought. Sorry you've been getting less encouraging feedback. Still waiting to hear back, though, since interview was this week, so we'll see how it works out.

I always think that "why don't you do into consulting?" suggestion is hilarious. For me, the terms "consultant" or "freelance" have always been euphemisms for "unemployed." Yes, going back to working for job shops with no benefits, not knowing when I'll get paid next and working on completely unpaid "on spec" jobs... that sounds like a great option.

I'm 26, will be 27 in the fall when I enroll. I'm actually on the YOUNG end of the spectrum for MDiv programs. Some universities skew younger (Duke, Yale, Harvard), but the program I will probably be enrolling in has an average age of 43. I don't know if my age helps or hinders my application, but I think I'm at a good spot-- a few years out of college, with some life experience, but still familiar with the joy of higher education and applications!! We'll see what Harvard thinks....

I'm 50. Age matters. I've been told that I am being selfish and taking places away from younger students that have a longer potential career and potentially more opportunity to generate grant revenue for the department. I've been told that since I have a house and a husband and adult children I should let younger people have a chance at the same things. I've been told that my undergrad marks from the late 70's/early 80's can't be compared to current marks because marking standards have changed due to grade inflation (shouldn't that make my marks appear more favorable when you consider "inflation"?) I've been told to give up and go get a job. I have been asked if I think I am too old to have a dream of getting a PhD. I feel badly for ad com members when I get that question because apparently they no longer have any dreams.

Same age. Your experience is what is commonly referred to as AGEISM. In Australia (where I am) this is illegal.

It is never too late to learn and advance yourself if you so choose. It is what you contribute rather than how long you contribute that matters in the very end.

Not sure why there is such fear of mature people bettering themselves. In many cultures, "Elders" are revered. Regardless, I plan (all things considered) to live for at least another 40 years, that's a lot of contributing to go yet!

:)

I turned 41 last week, and haven't heard a peep from the schools I applied to yet so can't help feeling I am already on the reject pile due to my age. So your experience is encouraging! I used to be a consultant actually, in investment banking, and whilst I could go back to that I would rather do without the money (+ stress + long hours) to do my PhD instead. I often find people who haven't earnt large salaries are a bit envious, but if only they knew the true personal cost of some of those high-flying careers.....

I'm 21, and I'll be 22 in September so I guess I'm on the young side. Then again, it's very common in my field to go straight from undergraduate to doctoral work because there is no master's and the bachelor's degree is intended to be pre-professional (in other words, totally useless). I look forward to having a PhD before I'm 30!

Edited by aucinema

I'm 34. I was more worried about the age mattering to me than to the school. Or more accurately, the responsibilities I have rather than the age. I have a mortgage and an 18 month old son. I applied to a PhD program understanding I'd have to quit my job. And I'm finally making good money (but the work isn't meaningful to me). Going from 'good money' to a $16k / year stipend is something I can't just jump into given my commitments. Luckily my wife has a good, stable job. They pay teachers well here in CT. So we can probably make this work, but my choice to go back to school will require sacrifices from my family.

I found out I got accepted to my program of choice today. Which is f-ing awesome, but it makes all the money stuff real now. Had I had my epiphanies when I was 25 I would not have this conflict. For me, this is why age is relevant.

I'm 34. I was more worried about the age mattering to me than to the school. Or more accurately, the responsibilities I have rather than the age. I have a mortgage and an 18 month old son. I applied to a PhD program understanding I'd have to quit my job. And I'm finally making good money (but the work isn't meaningful to me). Going from 'good money' to a $16k / year stipend is something I can't just jump into given my commitments. Luckily my wife has a good, stable job. They pay teachers well here in CT. So we can probably make this work, but my choice to go back to school will require sacrifices from my family.

I found out I got accepted to my program of choice today. Which is f-ing awesome, but it makes all the money stuff real now. Had I had my epiphanies when I was 25 I would not have this conflict. For me, this is why age is relevant.

Heh, for ONCE, I am seeing the bright side of being overqualified and underpaid at my current job. A meager stipend might actually be a step up for me, if not in income, then at least in mindset.

I'm sorry you get that kind of attitude from people. That's just awful. I'm 30 and applying to PhD programs, but at the place where I'm doing my MA, one of the PhD students is in her mid-50s. So hopefully not all adcoms have a bad attitude towards older applicants. Good luck!

ETA: I also have a friend who's 51 and doing a Master's in Education at Harvard. So, don't give up hope just because of your age! :)

Edited by fall-11

To summer_reader above - My mom was about that age when she got her PhD, so being an older applicant shouldn't be any kind of hindrance, at least to the admissions committees.

I'm 23, and I would hope my age is irrelevant but in my freak-out moments I start to think it would've been better to apply while I was in my senior year of undergrad last year instead of waiting a year...

I am 28. I started college in one country and finished in another. Then I tried to pursue a "career in retail". Then in non-profit. Then I got an MA. Now I've been working fro a year.

If I had applied to a PhD program when I was 21 it would have been a in journalism; at 23, in business; at 24, in education. It was at 25 that I finally got it. Or so I hope. Then I had to go back and write a SOP explaining each of those choices. That was fun.

40, originally went to grad school in my 20's, but had to leave for a variety of non-academic reasons. So far, have only had positive remarks about age related to maturity and experience. Have not had interviews yet. I pass for late 20's in person so interviews should be interesting.

29 now, 30 in July. I think it should help my application to MEDes @ University of Calgary. But then again, who knows. I've lived a little, gained some work experience and had some time to reflect about my decisions and future.

In the end age doesn't matter, experience and disciple does.

Just crossing my fingers.

25. I have no idea how age factors in, but personally if I was an ad com I'd be somewhat skeptical of people going into grad school straight out of college. Not that someone fresh out of school can't be intellectually ready, but more that grad school (at least PhD programs) is a long-term commitment. I think it's good to at least see what options exist outside of academia before you sign away the next 5-7 years of your life to a degree that may or may not get you a good job right away. I'm glad I've had the last four years to do a variety of things, and now I feel confident that academia is the right choice for me.

I'll be 45 later this year, and at least 50 by the time I get my PhD. I initially thought it was unlikely I'd be able to become a professor this late in life, but as one of my profs said, "Oh, you'll have 20 good years left to teach!" :-) I'm going to school because I had to give up my academic career to care for my children; now that they're in college, I want to continue where I left off. I think that the program I'm applying to would consider me a stronger candidate because I'm older, in part because they try to maximize diversity in their program.

I'll be 45 later this year, and at least 50 by the time I get my PhD. I initially thought it was unlikely I'd be able to become a professor this late in life, but as one of my profs said, "Oh, you'll have 20 good years left to teach!" :-) I'm going to school because I had to give up my academic career to care for my children; now that they're in college, I want to continue where I left off. I think that the program I'm applying to would consider me a stronger candidate because I'm older, in part because they try to maximize diversity in their program.

This is the story of one my favorite profs in my undergrad. :) Good for you!!!!

I'm 33. I have two kids and at least wanted to get them in school. Motherhood is such a tricky thing to balance in academia.

<br />20, turn 21 in July. Doubt anyone cares that I graduated in 3 years, doubt they'll freak out about me being too young. Age is probably just a number here, I hope.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I also graduated in 3 years from college, at the age of 20. My mentor freaked out when he found out I am 22 and about to finish my MA. He said I was a baby, but that I was intellectually old enough for grad school.