Anyone slacking off?

ollie cromwell

I have so many presentations and posters this semester at various conferences, I'm pretty much blowing off a lot of class time. I think I'll be ok in everything but a couple of classes.

But I blew off a study group for a difficult course today...I'm already in grad school, what could they possibly do? My advisor said as much.

Anyone battling with Senioritis? They should map it. But not me, I have too much mapping to do this semester.

I feel that I am a little. My motivation is definitely starting to fail me! I've always taken a heavy course load, had a job and been active on campus, but this semester I am definitely feeling it! I'm a little worried this will carry onto grad school, but I keep telling myself this couldn't possibly happen! Here's to graduation only ~1 month left to go!

I couldn't slack off at the end of undergrad. I had three courses plus a senior thesis plus senior comprehensive exams. It wasn't a fun end of the year but it did keep me working until mid-May. For the record, I pretty much took a week off after I turned in my thesis but, with 2 lit classes, I still had plenty of reading to do, two final papers to write (due one day), an exam (4 days later), and comprehensive exams in between the two. But I did end the year with fun! Flew to CA for a graduation then packed and went to Six Flags.

Yeah, the desire to and the actual practicality of slacking off are two completely different things! I don't have a senior thesis, but I do have multiple 15-20 page papers for my advanced humanities classes, finals in advanced science classes, and research to continue (+ poster presentation)! I tell myself that I'll get through it like I always do, but I am getting very tired!

My school is on quarters, last quarter was my last one so I am a free woman! But I was having serious senioritis toward the end of it, I missed classes 4 weeks in a row for interviews, and I was spending far more time thinking/worrying about grad school than my current classes. Somehow, and I have no idea how, I pulled off an amazing GPA my last quarter :lol: But it feels sooo nice to come home from work and not have anything to worry about, I better not get used to this!

I definitely have senioritis. Unfortunately, I still have a month to go and big projects left in 3 out of 4 classes. I tell myself that grades don't matter anymore since I got into grad school...but I guess after all these years I can't force myself to slack off completely. At this point I'm just really looking forward to graduation and moving on to the next stage of my life! :)

I definitely have senioritis. Unfortunately, I still have a month to go and big projects left in 3 out of 4 classes. I tell myself that grades don't matter anymore since I got into grad school...but I guess after all these years I can't force myself to slack off completely. At this point I'm just really looking forward to graduation and moving on to the next stage of my life! :)

Seriously. I like to think that I'm slacking off, but that's what I'm calling getting a day off here and there I think. I guess having grad school apps out of the equation just makes me feel like I should be doing something more.

Yeah, it actually amazes me how much my motivation has waned since the grad school acceptances started coming in. It feels weird and alien to me, but on some level at this point I'm having trouble caring. Just under a month 'til the last day of class and then a relatively light finals week (lots of practica this semester) is all that's standing between me and the next phase of life. Unfortunately, I do have several major projects/presentations to make between now and then.

No worries about this carrying over to grad school though, I'm chomping at the bit to be in a new place involved in more specific study of my passion! Still, at this point graduation cannot come fast enough!

I've been out of school for two years, but I can feel the temptation to slack at my job now that I'm quitting in less than two months. I've broken down a reasonable amount of stuff that I hope to accomplish before I leave, but sometimes I'm like "Why bother?"

Hard to slack off on a thesis when your advisors keep telling you how great it's turning out to me and you just don't want to blow off the entire thing... YIKES! But it's all written now and needs at least 2-3 drafts before I can finally turn it in.

But yes, I've fallen way behind in my readings for my other history class.... fortunately I'm doing a lot of travel (riding wise) this weekend so 16 hours should be plenty of time. I've also been so tempted to skip class just to work on my thesis so I can get it done sooner too...

But just not good to jump ship when your advisors are all over you over finishing your thesis and saying positive things about it.

i definitely slacked off my senior year... luckily for me, i had an internship 20 hours per week (which i couldn't really slack there) and my senior paper and that was it. however, i probably should have had the paper done by march, and didn't finish it until (literally!) the last possible second in the last week in april. i've taken this year off to work, and i am SO glad i did! it's given me so much time to prepare applications, study for the GRE, not to mention the days off that I've needed for interviews. (i work in a school so it's pretty flexible)...

i can't imagine applying to grad school during my senior year... you guys must be pulling your hair out!

I've been out of school for two years, but I can feel the temptation to slack at my job now that I'm quitting in less than two months. I've broken down a reasonable amount of stuff that I hope to accomplish before I leave, but sometimes I'm like "Why bother?"

i definitely feel where you're coming from!!!!

Same here. I'm also at a professional job and I have a major paper that is tied to a grant I brought into our firm. I have to finish it or it will hurt my professional reputation... but I mean its so apart from my future path of academia. I just think it's hard to get down to business on something that is only for your own reputation with no long term connection to your life. But I don't want to leave on a sour note.

Like a few of you, I'm also in industry, but in my case, I'm having senioritis forced upon me. Since I gave notice that I'm leaving for grad school soon, they're not giving me any work. Without my ipod, I'd probably fall asleep at my desk. I had senioritis back in undergrad, but here I actually feel guilty about it.

Like a few of you, I'm also in industry, but in my case, I'm having senioritis forced upon me. Since I gave notice that I'm leaving for grad school soon, they're not giving me any work. Without my ipod, I'd probably fall asleep at my desk. I had senioritis back in undergrad, but here I actually feel guilty about it.

haha... at least you (WE!) have the grad cafe to waste time on! :)

I am finishing up my MS degree this summer, so I have much work between now and then. Also, I will be teaching through July, so with all of this going on I won't have much time to slack. That doesn't mean my motivations aren't suffering a bit right now! It doesn't help that it has been 75 degrees and sunny for the last couple of days, either. At least my current grad research involves field studies.

I am really looking forward to moving and starting my Ph.D. in August. Between now and then, to keep me moving at the pace I need to, I'll keep my eye on that prize (letting some websurfing/TV watching/outdoor activities fill in the gaps from time to time).

I am really looking forward to moving and starting my Ph.D. in August. Between now and then, to keep me moving at the pace I need to, I'll keep my eye on that prize (letting some websurfing/TV watching/outdoor activities fill in the gaps from time to time).

Such a good plan, it was my plan too! I turned my student research position into a lab assistant position and thought I'd be working a leisurely 20 hours/week just to make a little spending money for the big move. Too bad I've been working 40 hours/week since I started... :? I think I need to have a little chit chat with my boss, I don't want to burn out before starting grad school!

• 11 months later...

i have the absolute worst case of senioritis known to man! I'm also a Geog major and got into all the grad schools i applied to. last semester i had a perfect 4.0gpa but so far this semester I've gotten 2 c's on midterms and totally bombed a gen-ed midterm i never got around to taking. Just bought my cap and gown today though which has only made me feel even less inclined to excel this semester...not like I am going to fail out- but I'd be ok with c's for the first time in years!

I think it's totally ok btw- we worked our asses off for oh so long a little breathing room before our lifes work begins is normal!

congrats on everything!

With two term papers, one experimental project thesis work, theory project presentations and report, and one sociology project all coming up within the next 2 weeks soon followed by our end semester exams, I really don't think I can slack even if I wanted to. Believe me, I want to! :P

I want to be!

too much to get done though... but am SO looking forward to having some time off this summer.... just as soon as I get all this semester's work done and write my major research paper and get through my three weeks of summer school and...and... and...

Actually, I'm at work now and, upon leaning over just to scratch my @$$, I felt a huge rush of "Why am I here? I don't know why I even bothered coming in on such a beautiful NYC Friday?"

Doesn't help that yesterday I spoke to my advisor & he [having randomly checked my progress for the degree] mentioned, "You basically have to pass this one class with a D or better to graduate this June. With your GPA you don't even have to bother passing the other courses you're taking."

...and then I thought to myself, "wonder what's the weather like in Maui?". I'm. Not. Joking.

It was exactly what I thought. Had to chuckle to myself.

Well, I've been trying to slack off this last semester. I finished my Master's in May of 06, and have been teaching music in a public school while my wife did her Master's. So since the time that I finished preparing my applications (end of December), I've been trying to slack so that I can spend as much time as possible with family (my parents and grandparents-in-law live here in Tucson). Now that an acceptance with funding has come through (Brandeis), I find it really hard not to get caught up in preparatory projects (my French reading comprehension; working my way through the bibliography of my subject; planning my next project; etc). Of course, all of these will be replaced soon enough with other fun projects like getting our house rented; packing; end of the year concerts at school (*sigh*...I'm going to miss my students :( ) All in all, I think I'm just too excited to slack :D