Ohio State

katya

I thought I'd let you guys in on some information that I recently found out in regard to what's going on at Ohio State right now, in case anyone finds it helpful.

By this point, they have sent out rejections. Now, each area of specialization has their list of people whom they want to admit. There's a final meeting coming up soon in which each area will fight it out to have those people admitted. So, if you have not received a rejection at this point, you're in the finals, and now it'll come down to how many people are allowed to be chosen for each field. For instance, last year, only 2 could be admitted to x area of specialization (this was for a non-American, non-Western European specialization).

Ohio State is hurting financially right now, so there's a possibility that less will be admitted this year, as is the case in other humanities departments at the school (in order to ensure full-funding for those who are admitted); although, last year, they admitted 28 students.

Good luck; it's a wonderful department with great people and great scholarship!

ARGGHHHH!!! :blink: I'm not going to sleep tonight... again?? Last night I couldn't sleep between 4 AM and 6 AM (brain just got very active thinking about a lot of things but not grad school) and I had to oversleep this morning and miss a bit of my class... I just can't do this again when I have one week of class left!

And I just cut my fingernails. Great. :unsure: Now, where are the chocolates? Germany apparently doesn't do "post-Valentine's Day" sales for candies. Grrr.

Really? Well I suppose that's promising. Were rejections sent out via email or post office? I haven't checked my mailbox since last Friday. There's almost never anything in it except mail for my roommate.

Ohio was a school I wasn't initially very excited about, but the more I thought about it, the more interested in it I became, and the more excited I became about the prospect of going there.

Is your information from the Dept itself, or is this a supposition? (forgive my doubts, I'm playing everything very pessimistically right now, it's a self-defense mechanism)

They're in the process of negotiating the fellowships and whatnot right now I believe. My advisor told me this a few days ago (he's in the History dept at OSU, where I'm getting my master's currently). So hopefully by the end of this week we'll hear something.

Edited by Paura

I go to OSU for my undergrad, and the school just received a huge donation from Mr. Lex Wexner. I don't know if that will influence decisions this year (or even where the money is going), but maybe there will be hope in future years for more grad student funding?

I go to OSU for my undergrad, and the school just received a huge donation from Mr. Lex Wexner. I don't know if that will influence decisions this year (or even where the money is going), but maybe there will be hope in future years for more grad student funding?

I just found out most of the money is going to our medical center, so...maybe not as helpful for departmental funding as I would have thought.

Really? Well I suppose that's promising. Were rejections sent out via email or post office? I haven't checked my mailbox since last Friday. There's almost never anything in it except mail for my roommate.

Ohio was a school I wasn't initially very excited about, but the more I thought about it, the more interested in it I became, and the more excited I became about the prospect of going there.

Is your information from the Dept itself, or is this a supposition? (forgive my doubts, I'm playing everything very pessimistically right now, it's a self-defense mechanism)

It's really a wonderful place. My information is coming from someone in the dept. -- from the results page, looks like a couple people were already admitted and offered funding. I, too, feel incredibly pessimistic after getting a double rejection from my top 2. Ugh.

They're in the process of negotiating the fellowships and whatnot right now I believe. My advisor told me this a few days ago (he's in the History dept at OSU, where I'm getting my master's currently). So hopefully by the end of this week we'll hear something.

Good to know -- thanks for the info!

Personalized eh? Ohio State is pretty classy I guess.

Odd that we haven't seen a single rejection result on the big ole' board. But I guess we are a fairly self-selecting group of people, so, it's not super surprising.

I'm a newbie and just discovered the results page. I see what you mean, and I did see a few acceptances. I found out about this place from a google search about another school's acceptances and have since become obsessed. Hah. I think people are also probably more likely to post acceptances than rejections, ya know?

I'm a newbie and just discovered the results page. I see what you mean, and I did see a few acceptances. I found out about this place from a google search about another school's acceptances and have since become obsessed. Hah. I think people are also probably more likely to post acceptances than rejections, ya know?

I think people tend to be pretty honest because the actual reporting is anonymous. I've seen many rejections go up on the board for other schools and have been diligent about reporting all of my own responses, both positive and negative. The fact that OSU only has a few acceptances up probably means that a small initial cohort of the top candidates was notified early, possibly or even probably before the rest of the decisions were made. OSU is a guaranteed funding school so it's likely that they don't know up front how many people they can accept each year; they let their top candidates know early (to compete with other schools) and then figure out/fight out who else they are going to accept.

I'm not at Ohio State and I don't have any contacts there but this is my understanding of how the process (more or less) works at most departments, at least the large ones. So, moral of the story? If you haven't heard anything that doesn't mean you're out the running, at least not yet. If you see another round of acceptances go out and you still haven't heard a peep then it's probably time to write off the school.

I think people tend to be pretty honest because the actual reporting is anonymous. I've seen many rejections go up on the board for other schools and have been diligent about reporting all of my own responses, both positive and negative. The fact that OSU only has a few acceptances up probably means that a small initial cohort of the top candidates was notified early, possibly or even probably before the rest of the decisions were made. OSU is a guaranteed funding school so it's likely that they don't know up front how many people they can accept each year; they let their top candidates know early (to compete with other schools) and then figure out/fight out who else they are going to accept.

I'm not at Ohio State and I don't have any contacts there but this is my understanding of how the process (more or less) works at most departments, at least the large ones. So, moral of the story? If you haven't heard anything that doesn't mean you're out the running, at least not yet. If you see another round of acceptances go out and you still haven't heard a peep then it's probably time to write off the school.

That makes a lot of sense. 2/3 of my rec letters are from 2 professors in the dept.; if I don't get accepted, it'll be a slap in the face.

Hi,

first time poster, long time browser. Does anyone have any news on OSU?? I've still not heard anything and I'm starting to assume that this is a sign for the worst....

Fingers still crossed though!

Hi,

first time poster, long time browser. Does anyone have any news on OSU?? I've still not heard anything and I'm starting to assume that this is a sign for the worst....

Fingers still crossed though!

I haven't and I was just wondering the same thing. Either no one active on this site got an acceptance or they still haven't finished their deliberations, anyone know which it is?

Edit: New acceptances that is, not the few that were sent out at the beginning of the month.

Edited by Bactrian

People who didn't receive an email from OSU today, don't worry yet. Those who received emails are being offered university fellowships. The rest are ranked and they're trying to figure out T.A.-ships and how many people they can admit still. Apparently, everyone else will find out in early March.

Any idea what sort of number they are playing with? I mean, last we heard, they had a few dozen names for only like a dozen spots. Has the list been whittled down, or are they waiting to skin that cat until after they figure out the TAships?

i'm not sure, to be honest. it sounds like they'll skin that cat after they figure out the t.a.-ships.

Been a week since the last inside scoop. Anyone have any idea what's going on with Ohio? I thought I saw a couple more acceptances leak out on the results page.

I was notified of my acceptance by the Chair of Graduate Studies, but like I said on the other thread, mine was an internal application, so I'm not sure if that affects notification. I'm pretty sure they have their decisions made and are just doing th bureaucratic fund shuffling, so I hope you hear soon! :)

---

Applied: Harvard (Hist and East Asian Lang), Berkeley (Hist), Ohio State (Hist), UMichigan (Hist), Hawaii (Hist), Pittsburgh (Hist)

Accepted: Harvard, Berkeley, UMichigan, Ohio State, Pittsburgh

Rejected: