This is pathetic. I am an English, Philosophy,and Spanish tutor at a community college. Presently, the learning center is empty. Hence, I am doing absolutely nothing but surfing CG (the fact that I have started to call it "

CG" frightens me, since I am not even a Facebook user).

I would imagine they will make phone calls. That seems to be the standard protocol for the top tier programs.

I would imagine they will make phone calls. That seems to be the standard protocol for the top tier programs.

they sent me an email on the 6 of jan though, saying that they'd notify me of their decision via email. Possibly because I'm an international student? -- If I read it right their 6 jan email implies whether accepted or rejected I get the news through email

I also got that email saying that we would be notified by email once decisions had been made. I wouldn't read this to preclude phone calls, though, as a lot of programs call informally and email informally long before the actual Graduate Department contacts applicants. I really, really hope they notify tomorrow and let us escape this anxiety. That Duke wait was killer. . .

I also got that email saying that we would be notified by email once decisions had been made. I wouldn't read this to preclude phone calls, though, as a lot of programs call informally and email informally long before the actual Graduate Department contacts applicants. I really, really hope they notify tomorrow and let us escape this anxiety. That Duke wait was killer. . .

to get a call from the USA would be so intimidating though! and the time difference. Gah, nervous.

Hi everyone! I'm also anxiously awaiting to hear from Brown, my top choice. I thought I'd let you all know I begged a current Brown student who is taking a class with the DGS to ask about decisions. They know who they're admitting to their phd program as of today, and they are admitting 16 people. This may be common knowledge, and if so sorry! Since they already know we should know tomorrow. I hope! I don't know why they would not just email us!! Good luck to everyone!

AAARRGGHHH!!!! SOOOOO nervous now. At least we'll know if we don't get contacted, we're not admitted or waitlisted. . .oh please, oh please, oh please!!!! Good luck to all of us!!!

Edited to add: Why couldn't they email us all today if they knew? Here ensues grinding and gnashing of teeth and wringing of hands. . . :angry:

Edited by lyonessrampant

Hi everyone! I'm also anxiously awaiting to hear from Brown, my top choice. I thought I'd let you all know I begged a current Brown student who is taking a class with the DGS to ask about decisions. They know who they're admitting to their phd program as of today, and they are admitting 16 people. This may be common knowledge, and if so sorry! Since they already know we should know tomorrow. I hope! I don't know why they would not just email us!! Good luck to everyone!

So are you the one who posted that information on the results page? (About there being 450 applications, and that they're going to accept 15-16 for a class of 6.) Just asking because I'd rather it was you than somebody from Brown as others have been suspecting! ;)

So are you the one who posted that information on the results page? (About there being 450 applications, and that they're going to accept 15-16 for a class of 6.) Just asking because I'd rather it was you than somebody from Brown as others have been suspecting! ;)

No, that wasn't me that posted on the results page, unfortunately!

I just checked my horoscope for tomorrow, hoping it would reveal something about my app status. Have I officially gone insane?

You mean you have :P ah, rhetorical questions.

and yes, I would like Brown to send all rejections/waitlists/acceptances at one go too (like princeton did). I am becoming less and less hopeful as the minutes pass

Also didn't make the cut :( Anyone who did get in want to volunteer info? I'll admit that this was a lot of wishful thinking on my part because my interests don't align with the other early modernists at Brown, but I wanted to give it a shot because, well, it's Brown. Congrats to you lucky 16 who got offers!

And don't bother asking for feedback. Here's the reply to my request from the Director of Graduate Studies:

"We received almost 550 applications for our MA and PhD programs, so unfortunately I am not able to provide specific feedback on the reasons why an individual applicant was rejected. In the overwhelming majority of cases, negative decisions on acceptance are made on the basis of an unsuitable writing sample and/or an insufficiently convincing personal statement."

Looks like Duke is pretty unique (in my experience, at least) in taking the time out to provide individual feedback, though I still think it's worth asking for at universities willing to provide it.

Can I ask how did people get feedback from their rejections from Duke? Did you call?

I would really like to know the answer to this question also. Duke was my top choice, and I thought I was a great fit. My guess is people emailed, though I'm not sure who...maybe the DGS?