2011 M Arch I Responses?!

I applied to:

Clemson, nothing

UNCC, accepted

Berkeley, nothing

Oregon, nothing

I'm really anxious to hear about Oregon, and Clemson since a lot of people have heard already? I'm not sure if it's because I applied to A+H or not. It's frustrating since I know people started hearing a week and a half ago.

• 3 weeks later...

Not trying to rain on anyone's parade but as a current student in the Univ. of Washington (SEA) Masters of Architecture program I do want to caution people considering UW, on a few things. First, while the reputation of the university is in general good, I don't think that the architecture program is a strong as the professors and administrators make it out to be. While I think I am getting a good education and I am paying in-state tuition, I now wish I had attended a more prestigious and innovative school (Washington University in St. Louis (WashU/WUSTL), UT-Austin, etc.). The program here isn't awful but if you tour the two architecture buildings and really pay attention to what surrounds you, you get a better sense of the true quality of the program:

-the architecture department is not an important department; the facilities are older and more run-down than many other departments, including many in the humanities

-the work being done by students is generally uninspired and not innovative/interesting

-the student body is not particularly impressive and is a fairly lackluster group

-the same goes for many of the professors

-there are some lecture series and additional architecture events offered but not compared to other universities

-the program doesn't allow for a lot of flexibility; many of the courses are considered core and can't be swapped for others

-maybe not the most important things, but the BE library is small and not very helpful, except when it comes to journals

-computer labs and equipment are really outdated, few and far-between

-MArch programs should allow you a chance to intern and make future connections - Seattle is saturated with architects

-the UW campus is full of homeless and mental people and not pleasant or particularly safe to walk-around after dark

Some other problems I have with UW are more personal but should be considered by new students. If you are anything like me, the rainy weather here WILL start to bother you after a few months. I first visited the campus on a nice Fall day and moved here in late summer, thinking that Seattle was perfect. Then it started raining and the grey sky rolled in and I started to change my mind. I don't consider myself moody but the weather in Seattle really affects both my energy level and mood. If nine months of cool days, rain, and a grey sky appeal to you then you might be happy here. Otherwise, you might want to consider where you want to live.

I also think that Seattle is a little culturally over-sold. I much prefer Austin, Portland, New York, St. Louis, and DC to Seattle as they feel like interesting cities with something to offer. Seattle does have some good restaurants and bars and music but as a MArch student, you will enjoy those a lot less then you probably imagine. There are a few decent buildings downtown but most of the architecture is uninspired and the city itself seems very dirty to me. Again, you aren't going to have a lot of time to walk around town during a MArch program but it is nice to be inspired once-in-awhile and Seattle, architecturally, is not the place for that.

Anyone should feel free to message me if you have any questions about UW or Seattle. Good luck to everyone still waiting on their application status and have a good Spring!

Thank you for the info. It is very useful. I just got accepted at UW (3+ year program) and I am in the process of making the decision. I have family(it is hard to move my family over to Seattle). If I reject the offer this year, will I be able to get in next year? If I accept the offer and can't make it to Seattle by September,(my husband need to find a job in Seattle by then) I don't know if I will be banned to apply at UW in the future? Any feedback will be greatly appreciated!

I also got accepted by uw. But as far as I know, the UW graduate are chased by the city, it has close connection to the city and local firm.

Eventually I would choose UW or USC for March 2 program