Are any other rhet/comp applicants seriously fighting the urge to send an email to check the status of their application? I haven't so far because 1) I don't want to face the reality that my dream for the past two years might be crushed and 2) I know emailing about application statuses isn't exactly the best thing to do. Thoughts?

Edited by Oneshot13

Are any other rhet/comp applicants seriously fighting the urge to send an email to check the status of their application? I haven't so far because 1) I don't want to face the reality that my dream for the past two years might be crushed and 2) I know emailing about application statuses isn't exactly the best thing to do. Thoughts?

I think it would be an awesome idea for you to email and report back your findings to the rest of us :)

Anyone?

They've made their first round of rhet/comp offers. If you haven't yet heard, you might be wait-listed. I'd check it out with the director or with the graduate assistant.

edited to add-- you can pm me if you want more details.

Edited by Chris83

They've made their first round of rhet/comp offers. If you haven't yet heard, you might be wait-listed. I'd check it out with the director or with the graduate assistant.

edited to add-- you can pm me if you want more details.

Have any rhet/comp applicants received a rejection yet? I emailed the secretary a few days ago and was informed that they were still reviewing applications. My email to Dr. Sullivan has gone unreturned. I'd just like to know if I'm at least rejected so I can accept it and move on.

Have any rhet/comp applicants received a rejection yet? I emailed the secretary a few days ago and was informed that they were still reviewing applications. My email to Dr. Sullivan has gone unreturned. I'd just like to know if I'm at least rejected so I can accept it and move on.

I emailed and received no response, though Sullivan was quite prompt in the past when emailing about meeting profs during RSA.

• 2 weeks later...

I told them I wasn't going today. I was accepted on the 19th c lit / theory track(s), so a spot should open up in one or the other. Good luck. The literature program at Purdue has so many fantastic people in it!

Has anyone heard anything regarding Purdue PhD applications (Literature)? Crickets on my end... I don't know if I should be hopeful or not! :) Thanks!

I told them I wasn't going today. I was accepted on the 19th c lit / theory track(s), so a spot should open up in one or the other. Good luck. The literature program at Purdue has so many fantastic people in it!

I've also let the program know that I won't be attending. Similar fields: Victorian and modernist literature. Good luck to everyone waiting in limbo.

If ANYONE is considering turning down an offer from Purdue for PhD in literature, I urge you to do so ASAP! I'm currently very high up on the unofficial waiting list!!!!! I'm on the edge of my seat here!!!!!!

I've also let the program know that I won't be attending. Similar fields: Victorian and modernist literature. Good luck to everyone waiting in limbo.

If ANYONE is considering turning down an offer from Purdue for PhD in literature, I urge you to do so ASAP! I'm currently very high up on the unofficial waiting list!!!!! I'm on the edge of my seat here!!!!!!

I declined a couple weeks ago, but it was supposed to take a short amount of time before the fellowship money could be freed up. Good luck!

Thanks! My fingers are crossed!

Is anyone else declining or thinking about declining a PhD English offer from Purdue?

I declined a couple weeks ago, but it was supposed to take a short amount of time before the fellowship money could be freed up. Good luck!

Well, I just got an acceptance, via email, to Rhet/Comp (my top choice) with 5 years of funding today. Judging by what's been said in here already, I guess I was pretty low priority-- but who cares! I'm in and funded!

congrats! I think you got the spot I gave up.