My Ph.D Acceptance was Rescinded

Dean

I see where you are coming from Eigen, but the department was well aware that there was a GPA cut-off and they were taking a big risk. I don't see why they couldn't have discussed Dean's application with the school dean just to get a head's up before taking it any further. It seems as though it was pretty black and white.

I agree. Although if the GPA cut-off was a strict minimum requirement for admission, I'd actually suggest it's the administrative staff's job to catch such a thing. I'd prefer, in fact, that such things be made explicit before people submit and pay application fees.

I agree. Although if the GPA cut-off was a strict minimum requirement for admission, I'd actually suggest it's the administrative staff's job to catch such a thing. I'd prefer, in fact, that such things be made explicit before people submit and pay application fees.

Right on.

I see where you are coming from Eigen, but the department was well aware that there was a GPA cut-off and they were taking a big risk. I don't see why they couldn't have discussed Dean's application with the school dean just to get a head's up before taking it any further. It seems as though it was pretty black and white.

Honestly, looking at it from the other end (my PI is one of the three prof's on our adcom), the administration can be really inconsistent about this. And there are always those deans who won't "discuss" the application, but will only look at it once an official offer from the department crosses their desk.

My guess would be that in light of the (small) amount that the undergrad is below the cutoff, and the fact that there's a graduate GPA in between, the department thought for sure that it wouldn't be a problem... And then ran into either a new dean who wanted to do things differently, or the dean decided that he didn't want to approve this one without a fight. You can't really know without knowing what's happened in the past... I know we have cutoffs here, but our adcom wouldn't think it would hold up an otherwise good application. It all comes down to the dean, and then how much pressure/political capital the adcom feels it can expend to fight the deans decision.

You know, I don't necessarily agree that the history department was culpable for not being aware the application didn't make the GPA cut-off. Yes, they should have double-checked, but I feel the burden is on the applicant to make sure s/he qualifies for a certain program, and to get an exception in writing from the grad director if that is not the case. Probably the program just assumed the applicant, like all the self-selected others, met the Graduate School requirements and didn't double check. Or, some staff member just made a mistake when verifying the basic requirements and didn't get this one for some reason, eventually leading to the OP's unfortunate situation. People make human mistakes.

We expect grad programs to cut us some slack when, say, we attach the wrong files to our applications, but then we don't give them any slack.

You know, I don't necessarily agree that the history department was culpable for not being aware the application didn't make the GPA cut-off. Yes, they should have double-checked, but I feel the burden is on the applicant to make sure s/he qualifies for a certain program, and to get an exception in writing from the grad director if that is not the case. Probably the program just assumed the applicant, like all the self-selected others, met the Graduate School requirements and didn't double check. Or, some staff member just made a mistake when verifying the basic requirements and didn't get this one for some reason, eventually leading to the OP's unfortunate situation. People make human mistakes.

We expect grad programs to cut us some slack when, say, we attach the wrong files to our applications, but then we don't give them any slack.

Well I was curious enough just to check the website, and there were no specifics given about undergraduate GPAs from what I saw.

This.

I'm not going to say the department was completely blameless, or did everything correctly, but lately I've noticed a tend towards calling adcoms/schools "unprofessional", "unfair", "harsh", "heartless", etc. if they don't do everything perfectly... And I honestly think that most of the people I see making these posts really have very little of an idea of how admissions works behind the scenes, or how many backs have to be scratched to pull together funding and official acceptances for an applicant.

Well I was curious enough just to check the website, and there were no specifics given about undergraduate GPAs from what I saw.

Neither the main graduate admissions site says anything about GPA cutoffs, nor the website for Riverside Sociology. I do not think Dean is to blame.

This.

I'm not going to say the department was completely blameless, or did everything correctly, but lately I've noticed a tend towards calling adcoms/schools "unprofessional", "unfair", "harsh", "heartless", etc. if they don't do everything perfectly... And I honestly think that most of the people I see making these posts really have very little of an idea of how admissions works behind the scenes, or how many backs have to be scratched to pull together funding and official acceptances for an applicant.

And I don't think you do either.

I say, if a graduate admissions office is so uptight about undergraduate GPAs--to the extent that you deny someone who was a couple points under the requirement yet had stellar grades from law school--put the requirement on your website and don't make applicants believe you support a "holistic" approach to viewing applications. It is a waste of your time and the applicant's. Especially the applicant's money.

Edited by ZeeMore21

I will note that the UC Riverside page does say this, specifically:

Detailed review and initial recommendation to admit is made by the programs. However, only the official letter of admission from the Dean of the Graduate Division constitutes approval of admission to a graduate program at UCR, not correspondence with a program or with an individual faculty member. The Graduate Admissions Office will make every effort to notify you of your admission status as soon as possible after receiving the admission recommendation from the program to which you are applying.

And think what you will about my experience with graduate admissions. I've been here watching the machinations it takes to get people official offers from a front row seat for the last two years. I don't feel the need to convince you of my involvement or knowledge.

It is my personal opinion that people here are exceptionally harsh and unyielding in their expectations of adcoms.

Edited by Eigen

And think what you will about my experience with graduate admissions. I've been here watching the machinations it takes to get people official offers from a front row seat for the last two years.

And so have I.

And so have I.

And like I said before, if the Sociology dept. knew that the Dean of graduate admissions is usually uptight with the undergraduate GPA, they should at least have a warning on their website to prevent those who don't want to blow $80-$100 bucks on the application from applying. That is being professional.

Edited by ZeeMore21

And like I said before, if the Sociology dept. knew that the Dean of graduate admissions is usually uptight with the undergraduate GPA, they should at least have a warning on their website to prevent those who don't want to blow $80-$100 bucks on the application from applying. That is being professional.

I'm sure you also noticed that they offer a *free* preliminary application to the program, right?

And it's well possible that the dean of the college of humanities, arts, and social sciences has changed his flexibility recently in light of the budget situation the UC colleges are facing. I doubt they would have sent an unofficial acceptance if they thought he was usually uptight, wasting two weeks of application time for themselves and the OP.

And think what you will about my experience with graduate admissions. I've been here watching the machinations it takes to get people official offers from a front row seat for the last two years. I don't feel the need to convince you of my involvement or knowledge.

It is my personal opinion that people here are exceptionally harsh and unyielding in their expectations of adcoms.

Hopefully this is my last post for this thread. I am not asking you to prove your knowledge about anything. It is my personal opinion, like it or not, that it doesn't take that much work to caution your applicants that their undergraduate GPA may be a break or make factor. There is absolutely no mention of this at all on the department's website. And what I am STILL confused about is the committee's decision to accept the applicant, knowing the GPA may be a factor. But even after it became clear it was a factor, they didn't have the decency to try their best in supporting their initial decision. If you want someone bad enough, you at least make the effort to keep them...especially since you were already in the process of creating a financial aid package for them. That's flaky to me, and if I were Dean, I would be relieved not to have to put up with that for 5+ years. Consider it a blessing in disguise...as horrible as it feels right now : /

I'll make this my last post here as well:

The alternative is that they (a) didn't know that the GPA would be a make or break factor (it might not have been in the past, dean's change) and (b ) they may have known it was a fight they would spend several weeks on, and still not win- making it not worth it for either the applicant or the department to drag out the whole process. They might have fought it out and still had to rescind the offer, but closer to a month after they made it than two weeks.

Edited by Eigen

I can't speak for anyone else, but all I expect is that programs and schools be complete, explicit, and transparent about admissions requirements and the process. I can certainly understand human mistakes, like sending the wrong e-mail to someone, e.g., sending accepts where rejects should have been sent. Although it's agony for the wrongly informed applicant, it's understandable that an admin person or even faculty might accidentally input the wrong address or press 'send' prematurely.

What I find unprofessional is not stating minimum requirements upfront, taking application fees when there's absolutely no chance of admittance, going through a whole admissions process without anyone noticing the 'ineligible' GPA, or else not informing the applicant that there may be a problem, offering acceptance in categorical language ('the admissions committee has recommended you to the graduate school...'), and then rescinding that acceptance later.

I can't speak for anyone else, but all I expect is that programs and schools be complete, explicit, and transparent about admissions requirements and the process. I can certainly understand human mistakes, like sending the wrong e-mail to someone, e.g., sending accepts where rejects should have been sent. Although it's agony for the wrongly informed applicant, it's understandable that an admin person or even faculty might accidentally input the wrong address or press 'send' prematurely.

What I find unprofessional is not stating minimum requirements upfront, taking application fees when there's absolutely no chance of admittance, going through a whole admissions process without anyone noticing the 'ineligible' GPA, or else not informing the applicant that there may be a problem, offering acceptance in categorical language ('the admissions committee has recommended you to the graduate school...'), and then rescinding that acceptance later.

Preach. That's all I am trying to say.

I'll make this my last post here as well:

The alternative is that they (a) didn't know that the GPA would be a make or break factor (it might not have been in the past, dean's change) and (B) they may have known it was a fight they would spend several weeks on, and still not win- making it not worth it for either the applicant or the department to drag out the whole process. They might have fought it out and still had to rescind the offer, but closer to a month after they made it than two weeks.

Well, I guess you're not going to respond to this, but maybe you're right that I expect too much of the process. I want it to be rational, orderly, and clear cut: if a GPA of, say, 3.0, is required, then it's required. End of story, no wiggle room, no exceptions. If they wanted that room to maneuver, they should not have any policy regarding 'ineligible' GPAs.

I agree with this very strongly. I'm all for transparency in government, education, whatever. You're deciding our futures, let us know what's going on, what we should know before applying and what to expect. It's just common courtesy. But seriously, don't beat yourself up here. I mean. Look what you've been spared from. Would you want to be in that program anyway after this happening? It's like your bitchy, possessive ex cheated on you and dumped you for another guy. I mean, seriously, what did you lose there?

I had once applied to LSE (London School of Economics). They sent me an email saying I am accepted, and then a couple of days later they informed me that I had received that email by mistake! I completely get that its a human error, but I cant fight what I feel, which is to say, I find it difficult to regain the respect I once had for LSE.

I got an offer from UCR yesterday, and about a week or so ago I got some pretty strong email teases from them. They asked me to fill out some additional online forms so "they could forward my package over to the dean's office." Now I tried not to read into this, and it definitely didn't say "congrats" or anything like that, but when I called the coordinator to finalize some details, she was especially chipper about my call. In short, I think I was in the same boat as the OP, only the English dept. was a little more cautious about the process as the DGS might have easily rejected me too (I have a shitty quant. GRE). And now I'm in the same position with a couple of other programs, and my best tactic this season has been to stay completely out of the results until I get something in stone (or PDF).

I can fully sympathize with the OP and I certainly hope that something better suited comes along for you soon. It sucks, big time.

• 3 weeks later...

Any acceptance from a department is only unofficial, since it still has to be approved by administration- and while they aren't usually shot down, they can be.

Does this mean that when you apply to let's say a PhD Chemistry Program, and the Chemistry department accepts you, the Graduate School Division still has the power to reject you if they see you missing like let's say a GPA requirement? Does "administration" mean "Graduate Division" in this case?