SIPA (Columbia) Thread

Hey Chipembere,

You going for it? I was at the admit day on Tuesday as well, also for the MPA-Dp.

This is Andrew, the tall blonde guy.

Did you get funding?

Funny...I slept on it and now I'm feeling differently. This choice is killing me. Yesterday I was 90% sure about SIPA, today I'm actually leaning toward Cornell. What's your feeling at this point?

I think I remember you, although we didn't talk much since there was that fire drill. I didn't get any funding, but I have enough savings to cover about half of the costs leaving me with roughly 70k in loans depending on 2nd year funding.

If you want to talk about this further, I'd be happy to inbox you my number. Might be good to bounce some ideas off of each other...

Funny...I slept on it and now I'm feeling differently. This choice is killing me. Yesterday I was 90% sure about SIPA, today I'm actually leaning toward Cornell. What's your feeling at this point?

I think I remember you, although we didn't talk much since there was that fire drill. I didn't get any funding, but I have enough savings to cover about half of the costs leaving me with roughly 70k in loans depending on 2nd year funding.

If you want to talk about this further, I'd be happy to inbox you my number. Might be good to bounce some ideas off of each other...

Yeah, I hear you. I've been going back and forth a lot, wanting to go, being overwhelmed by the debt, wanting to go, etc.

Sure, that would be great. Send me your number if ya want.

By the way, what are your other top couple choices?

Cornell sounds like a good up and coming program. I almost applied there.

I am facing a similar choice. I also got into UPenn's MPA program, which is small, intimate, and quality, but lesser known outside of the NorthEast. Further, it is a little bit more domestic focused, as I think Cornell is right?

They offered me a fair scholarship though, so it complicates things.

Cornell sounds like a good up and coming program. I almost applied there.

I am facing a similar choice. I also got into UPenn's MPA program, which is small, intimate, and quality, but lesser known outside of the NorthEast. Further, it is a little bit more domestic focused, as I think Cornell is right?

They offered me a fair scholarship though, so it complicates things.

Just inboxed you my number...

I heard from a friend at admit weekend that 1) they played a slideshow in which one slide depicted other schools at the bottom and SIPA at the top with a big trophy next to it, claiming they were the most elite institution (mathematically, it's the opposite) and 2) that someone from the finaid office when pressed admitted SIPA tuition funded other aspects of the university and actually used the word "Cash Cow." Wow. She thought the atmosphere among the admits was one of depression and anxiety on how to pay back their 6-figure loans. Anyone else have this experience?

Hmm, I can agree with a common concern of students about how to finance their Columbia degree. This conversation I had with a lot of people.

However, I would say that the rest of the day was great, and many of the professors, current students, and alumni were actually quite friendly and helpful.

I heard from a friend at admit weekend that 1) they played a slideshow in which one slide depicted other schools at the bottom and SIPA at the top with a big trophy next to it, claiming they were the most elite institution (mathematically, it's the opposite) and 2) that someone from the finaid office when pressed admitted SIPA tuition funded other aspects of the university and actually used the word "Cash Cow." Wow. She thought the atmosphere among the admits was one of depression and anxiety on how to pay back their 6-figure loans. Anyone else have this experience?

First, if you can afford it or intend on working in NYC, SIPA is a great choice.

On the other hand if you are taking six figures in loans and intend on working in the public sector the ROI is a joke.

Is it a cash cow? Absolutely. Does that mean it isn't a worthwhile program with good links in a variety of sectors? No.

Any other Columbia admits who are deciding to go for it and accept? If so, why?

And, if you are not, what is your reasoning?

I made my decision against SIPA weeks ago. The Columbia name will always carry, but I am going into public service and the little to no funding is too concerning for me. Also, their large seemingly-haphazard program did not justify their high price. I got that impression when I discussed it with someone I knew in their 2nd year in the program.

Had their career services had a great reputation, I might have thought otherwise. Unfortunately, one amazing professor that I truly admire will not justify this program.

With that said, JAubrey is right. If you intend on working in NYC, it's not a bad place to be. Of course, going to any other well regarded program and interning in NYC would be equally fine since people don't seem to inter/work while at SIPA.

Anyways, my two cents!

someone from the finaid office when pressed admitted SIPA tuition funded other aspects of the university and actually used the word "Cash Cow."

Most masters programs are considered a "cash cow" - they fund the more competitive, fully-funded doctorate programs in most universities. Unfortunate side effect of higher education : /

I am highly considering SIPA as well and the high costs are also a factor weighing on my mind. I've been out of school for a few years and I knew that at some point I would be returning to graduate school and saved accordingly for some of my living expenses, emergencies, etc. I keep hearing the "cash cow" mentality repeated on this forum regarding SIPA -- but as the previous poster mentioned -- most terminal masters, MBA's, etc. are considered pure cash flows for the university. Indeed, if you are following the market/news, even going to law school -- even the top 14 schools -- these days is a huge risk as well and does not justify the return on investment for many graduates. For many of these programs, all the university has to do is provide a desk (and not even that). There has actually been (not surprisingly) blowback regarding the Harvard Kennedy School in the past few days given the scandal surrounding Bo Guagua (a graduate student there) and his parents in China.

At the end of the day, going to graduate school is an investment and you have to weigh all the costs of attending, including lost salary of 2 years. I think it is important that you have a mapped out plan of what you want to get out of your program and what you want to do after school. The benefits of many of these policy programs, as opposed to an MBA is you can specialize and stand out instead of being a generalist. One of the reasons I like SIPA is that they have an incredibly diverse array of courses and the opportunity to take very specialized classes as well as get a solid grounding in economics/management and quantitiative areas. They are not going to hold your hand step-by-step but the resources and the networks are there, just like in real life. I am also attracted to the fact that there are many international students. We live in a global society and although I may not remember certain facts from graduate school in ten years from now, having friends/contacts in different parts of the world will be useful professionally. I met a few prospective students at the admitted students day, and everyone I talked to had a really interesting background/work experience and specific interests for their studies. Having been in the work force for a while this is incredibly important to me.

I hope to make my decision in the next few days -- good luck to everyone as well!

Cosmic Grad, I agree with you on the line "They are not going to hold your hand step-by-step but the resources and the networks are there, just like in real life. I am also attracted to the fact that there are many international students". I was having trouble choosing betwen SAIS and SIPA. In the end I pick SIPA, accept their offer and immediately decline the other schools. And I feel great and relieved I made that choice, now I just cant wait to start the fall semester,esp the fact that SIPA will open a new center "center of global economic governance" which is my favorite subject.

As to the size, SIPA is a very large program. In fact, it was the largest program I applied to and it was a concern of mine. But in order to make the right decision, you need to be honest with yourself about what kind of program you need. Because of SIPA's size, it has an enormous amount of course offerings, in almost every  policy subject - domestic and international. There won't be a topic that isn't covered through coursework or programming. This also means that SIPA has networks for capstones and projects that extend into every program area. Additionally, we can take courses at all of the other top graduate programs, the Business school, the Law school, the School of Social Work, Teachers College, and the Public Health school.  On the other hand, I must expect classroom sizes from around 15 to 60 students. While teachers regularly meet with students, they aren't always available for one or one attention or guidance through every step of your academic experience. So in line with what Cosmic Grad says, Columbia is like New York City, you must be ready to seek out what you need and can't be timid about accessing help and support. But everything is there!

I am highly considering SIPA as well and the high costs are also a factor weighing on my mind. I've been out of school for a few years and I knew that at some point I would be returning to graduate school and saved accordingly for some of my living expenses, emergencies, etc. I keep hearing the "cash cow" mentality repeated on this forum regarding SIPA -- but as the previous poster mentioned -- most terminal masters, MBA's, etc. are considered pure cash flows for the university. Indeed, if you are following the market/news, even going to law school -- even the top 14 schools -- these days is a huge risk as well and does not justify the return on investment for many graduates. For many of these programs, all the university has to do is provide a desk (and not even that). There has actually been (not surprisingly) blowback regarding the Harvard Kennedy School in the past few days given the scandal surrounding Bo Guagua (a graduate student there) and his parents in China.

At the end of the day, going to graduate school is an investment and you have to weigh all the costs of attending, including lost salary of 2 years. I think it is important that you have a mapped out plan of what you want to get out of your program and what you want to do after school. The benefits of many of these policy programs, as opposed to an MBA is you can specialize and stand out instead of being a generalist. One of the reasons I like SIPA is that they have an incredibly diverse array of courses and the opportunity to take very specialized classes as well as get a solid grounding in economics/management and quantitiative areas. They are not going to hold your hand step-by-step but the resources and the networks are there, just like in real life. I am also attracted to the fact that there are many international students. We live in a global society and although I may not remember certain facts from graduate school in ten years from now, having friends/contacts in different parts of the world will be useful professionally. I met a few prospective students at the admitted students day, and everyone I talked to had a really interesting background/work experience and specific interests for their studies. Having been in the work force for a while this is incredibly important to me.

I hope to make my decision in the next few days -- good luck to everyone as well!

Cosmic Grad, I agree with you on the line "They are not going to hold your hand step-by-step but the resources and the networks are there, just like in real life. I am also attracted to the fact that there are many international students". I was having trouble choosing betwen SAIS and SIPA. In the end I pick SIPA, accept their offer and immediately decline the other schools. And I feel great and relieved I made that choice, now I just cant wait to start the fall semester,esp the fact that SIPA will open a new center "center of global economic governance" which is my favorite subject.

As to the size, SIPA is a very large program. In fact, it was the largest program I applied to and it was a concern of mine. But in order to make the right decision, you need to be honest with yourself about what kind of program you need. Because of SIPA's size, it has an enormous amount of course offerings, in almost every policy subject - domestic and international. There won't be a topic that isn't covered through coursework or programming. This also means that SIPA has networks for capstones and projects that extend into every program area. Additionally, we can take courses at all of the other top graduate programs, the Business school, the Law school, the School of Social Work, Teachers College, and the Public Health school. On the other hand, I must expect classroom sizes from around 15 to 60 students. While teachers regularly meet with students, they aren't always available for one or one attention or guidance through every step of your academic experience. So in line with what Cosmic Grad says, Columbia is like New York City, you must be ready to seek out what you need and can't be timid about accessing help and support. But everything is there!

To add to Erry and CosmicGrad:

Most programs do not seem to offer international focus in the curriculum and I also feel that SIPA gives you the opportunity to decide and work towards a specific goal by picking a concentration, so for two years you know where you're going and your energies are channelised in just that subject/sector be it Security, Social sector, Economics, finance etc. Also one great advantage of SIPA is the mix-match with other schools. Although other schools may also provide this possibility, I feel Columbia has a more global appeal. I know for a fact that Columbia is a very well known name with donor agencies, government etc in South Asia (having worked in this sector.) I also feel that SIPA's international student body is definitely a pull-factor because in, say, subjects like development economics, perspectives (live ones) from other countries/regions makes discussion/presentations and learning a lot more satisfying, complete and they're embedded better. And like Erry and Cosmic Grad said in a globalised environment it makes sense to work towards networks across the world. In the end, as an international student, perhaps, my choice about the city matters and in this case NYC, for me, I believe, is the best choice and after talking to some other international students from SIPA, I feel NYC is a top pull-factor among others.

PS: the faculty is amazing, although I have not attended the students day, but I saw all the videos for both this year as well as last two years and they've across as motivated, experienced people who're slightly on the idealistic side, but I guess that's one huge positive on their side. As far as getting individual attention from professors is concerned, I think, THAT is something which anyway grad students would have to make efforts towards, no matter where you are.

Having said this, many congratulations to everybody for your schools ! This thread has been amazing! :)

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

I was admitted off of the waitlist early last evening. I will be accepting and am thrilled to start this fall! I know I missed the group high-five sesion when everyone was admitted in March but hope to meet and see you all in a few months!

Hi Guys,

New to this. I was recently accepted to SAIS Bologna but rejected from the IDEV program

which is my area of interest. I find myself leaning towards the program at SIPA and

I am quite eager to find out regarding the waitlist. I would much rather prefer to go

to SIPA as Columbia is more well known in South East Asia where I plan on working after

graduation. From my research, although the SAIS program might be regarded as highly

prestigious in the US. It is not as well known in Asia in EU. I Would love to hear your thoughts.

I am extremely eager to get off the waitlist at SIPA. A yes or a no would save dozens

of sleepless nights.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Accepted: JHU SAIS-BC, ISS (Hague), GSD (Geneva)

Rejected: Georgetown MSFS, LSE, SOAS, IHEI (Geneva)

Waitlisted: Columbia SIPA

Waiting: Dual Program Sciences Po/LSE

I was admitted off of the waitlist early last evening. I will be accepting and am thrilled to start this fall! I know I missed the group high-five sesion when everyone was admitted in March but hope to meet and see you all in a few months!

congrats!