SIPA (Columbia) Thread

Hi everyone,

I'm late to the party, but I've been a longtime admirer from afar of many of you :)

I'm also in at SIPA (found out last Wednesday), and I got a first-year fellowship of $25k and IFP for $3k. Relative to first-year funding, those amounts are astounding, and I'm really grateful. It does still amount to about $80k of loans over two years, though.

I was pretty set on Columbia, but then today I found out that UCSD IR/PS is offering me a full ride with a modest monthly stipend to pay for living. That is more generous than I thought was possible.

My nebulous future goals are to join the Foreign Service, but I know how difficult that career track is, which is why I also want to keep my options open in terms of job prospects coming out of these programs. Without going into quality of life/location/brand name issues (all of which comes out to a wash for me), I'm curious what everyone thinks about this comparison of schools based on the funding/loans issue I mentioned and on careers. While Columbia might open doors with its name, the consensus on these forums is that the career services there sucks. UCSD has less name recognition but has a very personalized, strong career services center.

I know this is a lot to throw out all at once - and I'm sure people are tired of the X School vs Y School discussions - so please forgive me, but I'd appreciate any thoughts you all might have.

GOT IN!!! I just can’t believe it! VIVAAAAAA!! After waiting for so long, I thought I would be rejected. OVER THE MOON RIGHT NOW! Good luck to those who are still waiting! And congrats, Cossack!!

So happy for you both!!! See u at SIPA!!!!

So so happy for you guys!! Almost as happy as when I found out I got in :)

Sad I won't see you on April 10th... Decided the $500+ trip to NYC right now may not make sense given I'm saving my pennies from here on out!! See you in August!!

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

INN!!!!!

but no $$$, meaning 12 hr shifts at work for the next 5 months are coming, oh well, i'm ready

no email yet, checked the appyourself page at 2:55 p.m. EST (NY time)

my number 1 choice

GOT IN!!! I just can’t believe it! VIVAAAAAA!! After waiting for so long, I thought I would be rejected. OVER THE MOON RIGHT NOW! Good luck to those who are still waiting! And congrats, Cossack!!

Congrats !!! Wow so happy for you guys !!! This is excellent new ...and man does this forum have some brains ;)

I really want my result now...!!!!! SIPPAAAAAA !!!!!!

madrilena, huge congrats. now erry will be closer to SIPA I think :)

madrilena, huge congrats. now erry will be closer to SIPA I think :)

Congrats !!! Wow so happy for you guys !!! This is excellent new ...and man does this forum have some brains ;)

YAAAAY! I wasn't accepted but I wanna celebrate too! SEE YOU GUYS! I'm VERY EXCITED!

So so happy for you guys!! Almost as happy as when I found out I got in :)

Wow all this waiting is paying off! Congrats!!! I think I'm the only one rejected still addicted to this forum!

So happy for you both!!! See u at SIPA!!!!

Madrilena, Cossack and erry3779, I'm really happy for you guys!! I'll see you on orientation week!

Cossack and Madrilena... CONGRATULATIONSS!!!!!!!

Thank you SO much guys for your kind words! I'm super happy right now. Still can't believe it. This is a dream. I hope I can meet all of you at SIPA.

Fleetly, now I'm with you! I really hope you can get in as well.

Alainray, we'll be partners, that's great!! :D

Erry, you SHOULD go to SIPA! Seriously, we wanna see you there! ;-) Please, let us know what you decide.

Good luck to those who are still waiting! You really deserve to get in!

Edited by Madrilena25

Thank you SO much guys for your kind words! I'm super happy right now. Still can't believe it. This is a dream. I hope I can meet all of you at SIPA.

Erry, you SHOULD go to SIPA! Seriously, we wanna see you there! ;-) Please, let us know what you decide.

You and people on this thread will be the first to know when I finally send my deposit to one of those schools! I'm still waiting for some emails to be replied by SIPA's current students and alums!

Hahaha what about you msal?

SAIS is somehow creepin in...but im doing my best to justify SIPA!!! Wish me luck hanaha

most probably I will be going to SIPA. let's say 90 percent. what are you asking to the current students? I will be glad if you share some feedback about SAIS vs SIPA discussion

Hi guys! Again congrats to all and for few who are still waiting...I'm sure it's just a matter of figuring out how much money to award u!!!!! I thought to pop up a question if u care to share ur background and yrs of experience before applying to mpa mia programs? Thanks!!!

I'm gonna notify the institution that gives me the fellowship tonight (GMT+7).. I'll let you know guys after its official! I can't bear this any longer! Whichever school I pick is the best school for me!!!

erry, we need to gather a commission for you to decide.

I'm gonna notify the institution that gives me the fellowship tonight (GMT+7).. I'll let you know guys after its official! I can't bear this any longer! Whichever school I pick is the best school for me!!!

But Erry, what is your dream school? All of them have advantages and disadvantages but undoubtedly both SIPA and SAIS are great. However, you should have a feeling, just follow it! This might sound kinda corny (well, actually it's...lol) but listen to your heart. Graduate school is not only to grow academically or professionally, but also personally. You are going to spend at least two years of your life there...So the city is also important. I don't know, just follow your intuition and you'll be fine. Good luck!

Btw, I would like to see you at SIPA! :D

erry, go to SIPA! "grad cafe told me to" is the worst reason I've ever heard for not going to your top choice school. We're all a bunch of clueless prospective students. Call the admissions office and ask to speak with some current students. Ask questions to your hearts content. Demand that they convince you SIPA is the place for you. Then move to NYC and never look back. Give the UN building a salute for me.

And I agree with Rose1, whatever you choose (SAIS or SIPA), do it and never look back. You have a great scholarship and have been admitted to the best IR schools. You'll be great and will have an amazing experience. That's for sure.

Choose Korbel over SIPA today..... was... am.. rather sure Korbel is the better choice for a focused human rights program.. reading this thread's got me wondering again :S

As far as I know from former Fulbright grantees, Korbel is one of the best schools for Human Rights studies...Honestly. If this is your area of interest, then you did the right thing. It's not all about the name. I didn't apply to SAIS, Princeton or Georgetown because although they are quite good, my focus is more on media development and these schools are not in line with my background and career goals.

Good luck, Raayah!

Edited by Madrilena25

As far as I know from former Fulbright grantees, Korbel is one of the best schools for Human Rights studies...Honestly. If this is your area of interest, then you did the right thing. It's not all about the name. I didn't apply to SAIS, Princeton or Georgetown because although they are quite good, my focus is more on media development and these schools are not in line with my background and career goals.

Good luck, Raayah!

OH thanks Madrilena25 you've instantly made me feel better again :) :) CONGRATS and very very good luck to u!!

But Erry, what is your dream school? All of them have advantages and disadvantages but undoubtedly both SIPA and SAIS are great. However, you should have a feeling, just follow it! This might sound kinda corny (well, actually it's...lol) but listen to your heart. Graduate school is not only to grow academically or professionally, but also personally. You are going to spend at least two years of your life there...So the city is also important. I don't know, just follow your intuition and you'll be fine. Good luck!

Btw, I would like to see you at SIPA! :D

Yes erry3779 ! Take a call and never look back ! It'll be for the best !!!!

Although ..with a batch with students from this thread..you wouldn't wanna look elsewhere.. :) but then again scholarship is a really prestigious thing and I can imagine how hard it would be to let that go.. as Madrilena25 said..follow your heart !

Thanks Madrilena25 !! :)

Finally.. its official.. I just said no to SAIS, and yes to SIPA...

And yes osierus.. I'm with you... lets make a study group like the tv show Community.. but we will have to at least take 1 class together each semester.. hahaha..