SIPA (Columbia) Thread

Wantgrat. Congrats!!! Not sure how many people here in this forum r from us or abroad. But bringing up my question that no one answered yet. I went to community school before 4 year college. Is that a weakness when viewed by those top tiered school? Thanks!

Shouldn't be. I am also a former transfer student and have been admitted to the two schools I've heard back from.

Received the email at 1.24am India time (just finished some Friday night festivities...good way to end I suppose), which I believe is 3.44pm in NYC

congratulations!! so you will be joining SIPA right? I'm sorry if you have already mentioned it before, but may i ask what is your concentration?

I am so so sorry you all are waiting... That was the worst wait.

My letter was dated 3/14 but I heard 3/22 for those who were asking. Also, sorry I implied that the admitted student msg board could give clues about acceptances in certain tracks. That site is not that useful, I came back here because I missed you all!

Hello everyone,

I am admitted to Sipa's MPA-DP program. Does anyone have any perspective on the placement, job opportunities, and possible salary range post-study? I didn't receive any scholarship so I need to think practically.

I am also accepted to UPenn's Fels School of Government, which offered me some $.

erry3779, just 80%? Come on...99%! lol....That's what SIPA told me yesterday: "Decisions began being announced on Wednesday, March 14th, but are nowhere near completed" and again "thanks for your patience". I guess I will hear next Friday at 6pm or something like that haha. Imagine if it's a rejection after waiting for so long...lol

So....who is going to go to SIPA for sure?

erry3779, just 80%? Come on...99%! lol....That's what SIPA told me yesterday: "Decisions began being announced on Wednesday, March 14th, but are nowhere near completed" and again "thanks for your patience". I guess I will hear next Friday at 6pm or something like that haha. Imagine if it's a rejection after waiting for so long...lol

Meee!!!!! I really hope you get in Madrileña!

actually, this SIPA thread is kind of addictive. I guess we all will spend some more time here until the fall term.

I am so so sorry you all are waiting... That was the worst wait.

My letter was dated 3/14 but I heard 3/22 for those who were asking. Also, sorry I implied that the admitted student msg board could give clues about acceptances in certain tracks. That site is not that useful, I came back here because I missed you all!

It's so nice you guys are still here !! I agree this thread is addictive :)

SIPA !! Come on !!! Just one nod from you...or even a twitch ... some on !!!!

especially for me! I was only 30% leaning toward SIPA, but this thread brought me to 80% now.. SIPA!

yeah, patience is the most common virtue of SIPA applicants.it seems that you already passed the test.

regarding the decision, I think erry and I mostly made up our minds

Edited by msal

yeah, patience is the most common virtue of SIPA applicants.it seems that you already passed the test.

regarding the decision, I think erry and I mostly made up our minds

Yeaah!!! Madrilena! I pray for you!

Anyway anyone here taking the IFEP concentration?

Thanks for the wishes all! Very much appreciated.

Congrats wantgrad ! could you let us know your profile please??

International student, small liberal arts in the US (top 30), economics and political science major 3.78, 3 years work experience (2 of those in a developing country), 168/168/4.5 GRE

erry - SIPA offered me no $$$, so unfortunately will not be attending. but I will still definitely be following this forum! Many sympathies to people still waiting...they really need to admit you guys and give you some serious money.

Thanks for the wishes all! Very much appreciated.

International student, small liberal arts in the US (top 30), economics and political science major 3.78, 3 years work experience (2 of those in a developing country), 168/168/4.5 GRE

erry - SIPA offered me no $$$, so unfortunately will not be attending. but I will still definitely be following this forum! Many sympathies to people still waiting...they really need to admit you guys and give you some serious money.

So where are u going then?

How are so many people really considering SIPA for the potentially devastating full sticker price? Myself included! The cost is plain ridiculous especially for this field. $140k for an MPA, MIA or MPA-DP? We can't be serious.

Needless to say I'll be at the Admitted Student day on the 10th and hope that it will be utterly lackluster and a deal-breaker so that my chances of economically crippling my future will be seriously reduced. Sheeesh.

I am!! Put down my deposit yesterday... It's been my dream for a long time.

Edited by energypolicy23

Anyone trying to decide between Georgetown MSFS/Johns Hopkins SAIS/SIPA? Columbia has been my dream since I was a high school student, but the amount of attention I have received from Gtown and JHU makes SIPA pale in comparison (not to mention the scholarship from Gtown).

The reason I'd like to go to SIPA is that I was exposed to a lot of their faculty/students while working at an NGO's UN advocacy office. Very impressed by their students' work, but have also heard complaints about how large and impersonal the program is, not to mention an 85% employment rate upon graduation is somewhat worrying. I do want to work for a multilateral organization that does not have an American policy focus when I graduate (I'm an int'l student) which is why I'm not terribly keen on Gtown or JHU.

What are other people's reasons for choosing SIPA?

Hey Chipembere!

Yes, I got accepted to Sipa's MPA-DP program and although excited, really stressing about the sticker price.

However, like you, I will be there on the 10th for the admitted students thing.

How are so many people really considering SIPA for the potentially devastating full sticker price? Myself included! The cost is plain ridiculous especially for this field. $140k for an MPA, MIA or MPA-DP? We can't be serious.

Needless to say I'll be at the Admitted Student day on the 10th and hope that it will be utterly lackluster and a deal-breaker so that my chances of economically crippling my future will be seriously reduced. Sheeesh.

Anyone trying to decide between Georgetown MSFS/Johns Hopkins SAIS/SIPA? Columbia has been my dream since I was a high school student, but the amount of attention I have received from Gtown and JHU makes SIPA pale in comparison (not to mention the scholarship from Gtown).

The reason I'd like to go to SIPA is that I was exposed to a lot of their faculty/students while working at an NGO's UN advocacy office. Very impressed by their students' work, but have also heard complaints about how large and impersonal the program is, not to mention an 85% employment rate upon graduation is somewhat worrying. I do want to work for a multilateral organization that does not have an American policy focus when I graduate (I'm an int'l student) which is why I'm not terribly keen on Gtown or JHU.

What are other people's reasons for choosing SIPA?

I am having the exact same considerations... SAIS is very attentive, yes. But SIPA is also attentive if you know how, like being active at the message board (where current students and admission officers are actually answering every question posted), email the admission office (they'll let you talk with current student if u want to)... I heard or read somewhere, everything is available at SIPA if you know where to look and want to do something for it..

And i also am the same with you that SIPA is more global focus (in the sense that it is not focusing too mucn on American policy). I also like the idea to take courses at columbia school of law and school of business...

But all in all, Even though im leaning toward SIPA, i still havent reached my final decision. Its either SAiS or SiPA

Hey fellow SIPA applicants:).

I really want to attend SIPA's MPA-DP program this fall (got in), but worried about being able to pay off such a huge loan. Given that I didn't recieve a scholarship, my loan burden would be quite heavy, perhaps a little under $100,000.

I'm sure some other people are in this position? What are your thoughts? It seems as if coming out the gate one can get a position paying anywhere from 40-70,000. I have been reading a lot of blogs and posts where people feel that $100,000 in debt is unjustifiable given the salary range of mpa careers.