SIPA (Columbia) Thread

I am having the exact same considerations... SAIS is very attentive, yes. But SIPA is also attentive if you know how, like being active at the message board (where current students and admission officers are actually answering every question posted), email the admission office (they'll let you talk with current student if u want to)... I heard or read somewhere, everything is available at SIPA if you know where to look and want to do something for it..

And i also am the same with you that SIPA is more global focus (in the sense that it is not focusing too mucn on American policy). I also like the idea to take courses at columbia school of law and school of business...

But all in all, Even though im leaning toward SIPA, i still havent reached my final decision. Its either SAiS or SiPA

erry, I thought you are already in, what makes you think again.

I agree that Columbia might have a more international (and maybe more market oriented?) focus. but I also think a strong insight on the American politics, which SAIS can give you, might be a very good asset.

I would like to hear opinions on, which school gives you better insight on international policy making processes.

Hey fellow SIPA applicants:).

I really want to attend SIPA's MPA-DP program this fall (got in), but worried about being able to pay off such a huge loan. Given that I didn't recieve a scholarship, my loan burden would be quite heavy, perhaps a little under $100,000.

I'm sure some other people are in this position? What are your thoughts? It seems as if coming out the gate one can get a position paying anywhere from 40-70,000. I have been reading a lot of blogs and posts where people feel that $100,000 in debt is unjustifiable given the salary range of mpa careers.

That's the main reason why I've pretty much counted out SIPA. That and b/c it doesn't look like they take care of you well there. It still has a teeny chance b/c of their more generous 2nd year grants, but the average grant was 13-15k or something, soooo that wasn't very promising o_O Regardless, I am speaking with a friend who's in the program tomorrow and assuming she didn't get bomb funding, I'll let you know how she's holdin up ha ha @ GPPI, I can work to offset part of the cost along w/ their small scholarship.

Meee!!!!! I really hope you get in Madrileña!

yeah, patience is the most common virtue of SIPA applicants.it seems that you already passed the test.

regarding the decision, I think erry and I mostly made up our minds

Yeaah!!! Madrilena! I pray for you!

Anyway anyone here taking the IFEP concentration?

Guys, you are so nice. Hope I can get in and meet you all there :-)

Erry, it seems to me that many people here are not going to SIPA due to the high costs of the program but...you have a scholarship, don't you? SAIS is also a very good school but I do agree that SIPA has a more international focus. As you said, you can take courses at other schools and Columbia's Law, Business or Journalism schools are also among the best worldwide.....

Edited by Madrilena25

Thanks for the wishes all! Very much appreciated.

International student, small liberal arts in the US (top 30), economics and political science major 3.78, 3 years work experience (2 of those in a developing country), 168/168/4.5 GRE

erry - SIPA offered me no $$$, so unfortunately will not be attending. but I will still definitely be following this forum! Many sympathies to people still waiting...they really need to admit you guys and give you some serious money.

you've got a good profile and many congrats to you ! all the schools you're in are great !

So where are u going then?

Waiting for HKS financial aid before making any decisions...but unfortunately not SIPA, which is just out of my price range.

you've got a good profile and many congrats to you ! all the schools you're in are great !

Thanks fleetly! And congrats to you too!!

Hi Guys! I was rejected from MPA DP program a week ago, and still can't stop checking this blog! I guess I will be going through the application process again late this year, so trying to figure things out what can I do until then to make sure I get accepted!

GPA 3.7, studied Business Admin with concentration in Finance

Went to community college first (3.5 GPA) then transfered ---- do universities (like Columbia) look at that as a weakness?....

GRE - retaking in a few month, i did poorly on verbal part (English is my second language)

Working as analyst for asset management company (5yrs), intl division, doing research, data analysis, corporation actions etc....

I don't have any real volunteer work, I do try to do little stuff now and then, but having a full time job and a baby is tough to dedicate time...

I don't have any real travel experience like many strong applicants, once again Im either working or taking care of my daughter

So with said, I would apperiate any suggestions!!! Thank you, and good luck to all of you guys that are still waiting!

Hi beekline,

I am international student with poor GRE verbal too :D

On my SOP, I wrote my rural development internship during undergraduate and I elaborate it with my current working experience. IMHO, MPA DP more into practical learning (internship projects here and there), thus, the admission officer might consider practical experience as well. CMIIW.

I don't know whether you once have hands on experience during your college time or doing field monitoring for your research. If you have any, I think you should try to write them on your SOP.

Good luck for you :)

After speaking with someone who is currently in the program, I am even more inclined to decline their offer sooner than later >.<

As for financial assistance, I was told pretty much if you maintain a 3.4 gpa or higher you WILL get some sort of aid. This person in particular received enough to cover about half of tuition in year 2. There were also people who were offered TA's who's tuition was entirely covered, but it requires a big time commitment. At least for those who decide on going, you know you'll get SOMETHING in year 2. Confirmation of their carer services (or lack there of??) was also somewhat apparent. Though there was a recent increase in assistance, it doesn't seem like the school is proactive in assisting their students are hired.

I really want to attend SIPA's MPA-DP program this fall (got in), but worried about being able to pay off such a huge loan. Given that I didn't recieve a scholarship, my loan burden would be quite heavy, perhaps a little under $100,000.

I'm sure some other people are in this position? What are your thoughts? It seems as if coming out the gate one can get a position paying anywhere from 40-70,000. I have been reading a lot of blogs and posts where people feel that $100,000 in debt is unjustifiable given the salary range of mpa careers.

Hey Eclectic,

I totally hear you. I've been stressing out on the SIPA MPA-DP price tag ever since I got the admission letter on March 16th! Pretty bummed now as my search for any sort of financial aid (even student loans) in my home country has proven to be a very very difficult task. I've worked for an international NGO and most scholarship and funding options are only available for government officials - which I am not. Haven't properly celebrated getting in because of the funding issue. I guess I can probably use up all my savings and borrow some money from parents etc but it would be very very tight and limited to first year only. Seriously right, fought so hard to get in only to to face another big wall...bummer...

Hi guys. I have a friend that is a current mpa dp student. This info is not to discourage anyone but just sharing information. According to my friend few students quit the mpa dp program because it failed their expectation. Well considering they only accepted like 25 students that's a lot. yes I also got that some students are not all totally happy with the program and prospects afterward.... But I guess it's like that everywhere. No where is perfect but what u make out of it.

Edited by beekline

I guess it depends on the person. I know several people who attended SIPA and according to them, the program (MIA) is great and all of them are working.

In the last few months, I have exchanged emails and talked by phone with 9 more people from the US, Chile, Spain and Canada that went to SIPA and I hadn’t heard anything negative about it until I discovered this forum and again, I also have first-hand information. I guess every program has its advantages and disadvantages though. I’m just talking about the MIA program. But (and I'm not talking about you, beekline, as I really appreciate your opinion and info) I'm surprised that there are so many people here disliking SIPA that much…

I do agree, however, that Columbia is very expensive…Extremely expensive I would say…

And regarding job prospects, I strongly agree with something I read in another thread in this forum (I think the SAIS one): "Success after grad school is more dependent on the individual rather than the school/program".

Again, this is just my personal experience and point of view ;)

Edited by Madrilena25

Totally agree with u comments. I was just sharing what I learned and surprised that few decided against the program especially after being committed to it. But like we both said its very individualized. What works for one may not work for others. Some will be successful without this high cost program and few may fail even graduating top programs. So with that said good luck to all with all ur choices !!!! I think all on this forum will def be quite successful!!!

I'll say that of the several SIPA grads I've talked to in-person about the program - some friends of friends, a former coworker, a superior at my job - all of them have had nothing but the highest praise for SIPA. Ditto the Columbia grad students/alums from other programs who are familiar with it from being a part of the larger Columbia environment.

This forum is the only place where I've run into consistently negative commentary on/opinions of SIPA. I do think all of the concerns/critiques are legitimate, particularly regarding the cost, but I have to weigh those against the positives I have heard, and the fact that this has been the school I have known I've wanted for several years now. When it comes to things like Career Services, the impression I get is that it can function as one resource, but that it depends on the individual to make the most out of what they provide and then make the jobs happen for yourself. Sounds like the real world to me!

I'll say that of the several SIPA grads I've talked to in-person about the program - some friends of friends, a former coworker, a superior at my job - all of them have had nothing but the highest praise for SIPA. Ditto the Columbia grad students/alums from other programs who are familiar with it from being a part of the larger Columbia environment.

This forum is the only place where I've run into consistently negative commentary on/opinions of SIPA. I do think all of the concerns/critiques are legitimate, particularly regarding the cost, but I have to weigh those against the positives I have heard, and the fact that this has been the school I have known I've wanted for several years now. When it comes to things like Career Services, the impression I get is that it can function as one resource, but that it depends on the individual to make the most out of what they provide and then make the jobs happen for yourself. Sounds like the real world to me!

Tell me tell me all the positive facts of SiPA! I really want to justify my decision

erry, go to SIPA! "grad cafe told me to" is the worst reason I've ever heard for not going to your top choice school. We're all a bunch of clueless prospective students. Call the admissions office and ask to speak with some current students. Ask questions to your hearts content. Demand that they convince you SIPA is the place for you. Then move to NYC and never look back. Give the UN building a salute for me.

erry3779....sorry for any negatively...I really was just sharing what I've learned...but maybe I should have added all the positive things I have learned as well....I just figured its kind of a given, SIPA is one of the best programs out there, I know more probably about MPA DP perspectives, because I only interacted with students from that program, but one thing for sure is that most of them love it, and once again it all comes down to what you make out of it. The tools are def there!!! ....oh wish I had such decision...am I the only one rejected and still following this?.....I am very happy for you guys and I think I should be forwarding my SOP for your review at the end of the year before I hit that SUBMIT button, to insure I get acccepted as well, and we continue to stay in touch... :)

Tell me tell me all the positive facts of SiPA! I really want to justify my decision

The caliber of the professors, course offerings, directions you can take the various concentrations in, student body (HUGE one, given the varied backgrounds of such an international group), ability to use the resources/classes of the entire university, the huge number of events/conferences, and yes, the professional opportunities it opens to you. What I've heard is that if you aggressively pursue what you want, the Columbia name and network will help open doors.

These are, of course, what the school itself bills as the main selling points, but the people I've talked to are friends and colleagues who themselves are interested in my success, and they've all said the same things.

I also think beekline makes a good point - the criticism may all be valid, but it is being made in the context of SIPA still being one of the very top PA/PP/IR schools, so they are just the things to consider when you're deciding between schools.

Should also mention - the 3 folks who are grads I've talked to all have had success out of SIPA. Admittedly that is a very small sample size, and they've graduated in different years, but it's still worthwhile information.

One is a senior associate at my office (very respected think tank/policy research organization, nonprofit but you definitely make a good living for the industry/salary range, certainly based on what my pre-grad degree salary is compared to the nonprofit career statistics published by SIPA) She got her MPA in 2002 I believe.

Another, my former coworker, who had the same position I do now, got his MIA in 2011, decided to concentrate in Energy and Environment and used the degree to make an industry switch, and now works for an energy consulting/monitoring firm.

Another friend got her MIA in 2010 and then continued school by pursuing a phD at HKS, where she is now.

Yeah, maybe you should ask...But it's strange because you got 23 in the speaking part but your letter doesn't mention anything about the course... Who knows, just ask them and let us know what they say. Btw, last year a friend of mine took the course and he said it was really good, very interesting but also expensive...You have a scholarship, do they pay you the pre academic courses?

Erry, I think even though your speaking is below 25, but since you are working in English circumstances, you are considered fluent in English. So, you should feel glad then.

Is there any SIPA admitted in this thread required to enroll the summer course?

I just called the admission office, and they said that I don't have to enroll on the Summer Language Program (fiuuh) .. Strange, since my toefl is 109 and i got 23 on the speaking part.

erry, go to SIPA! "grad cafe told me to" is the worst reason I've ever heard for not going to your top choice school. We're all a bunch of clueless prospective students. Call the admissions office and ask to speak with some current students. Ask questions to your hearts content. Demand that they convince you SIPA is the place for you. Then move to NYC and never look back. Give the UN building a salute for me.

erry3779....sorry for any negatively...I really was just sharing what I've learned...but maybe I should have added all the positive things I have learned as well....I just figured its kind of a given, SIPA is one of the best programs out there, I know more probably about MPA DP perspectives, because I only interacted with students from that program, but one thing for sure is that most of them love it, and once again it all comes down to what you make out of it. The tools are def there!!! ....oh wish I had such decision...am I the only one rejected and still following this?.....I am very happy for you guys and I think I should be forwarding my SOP for your review at the end of the year before I hit that SUBMIT button, to insure I get acccepted as well, and we continue to stay in touch... :)

All that said, erry, go to SAIS so there are more SIPA slots open to waitlisted folks like me! Haha, mostly joking. Assuming I get in I'd be really excited to meet some fellow SIPA Gradcafe-ers.

I also asked the admission officer to connect me with current student, she said that she will forward me to one and he/she will be in touch with me. I told her that I need to make decision soon, since if I have to let go SIPA and go to SAIS I have to enroll on the pre-term program.

Let me see, whether a current SIPA student will sell SIPA the way bunch of SAIS students emailed me and selling SAIS.

The caliber of the professors, course offerings, directions you can take the various concentrations in, student body (HUGE one, given the varied backgrounds of such an international group), ability to use the resources/classes of the entire university, the huge number of events/conferences, and yes, the professional opportunities it opens to you. What I've heard is that if you aggressively pursue what you want, the Columbia name and network will help open doors.

These are, of course, what the school itself bills as the main selling points, but the people I've talked to are friends and colleagues who themselves are interested in my success, and they've all said the same things.

I also think beekline makes a good point - the criticism may all be valid, but it is being made in the context of SIPA still being one of the very top PA/PP/IR schools, so they are just the things to consider when you're deciding between schools.

Should also mention - the 3 folks who are grads I've talked to all have had success out of SIPA. Admittedly that is a very small sample size, and they've graduated in different years, but it's still worthwhile information.

One is a senior associate at my office (very respected think tank/policy research organization, nonprofit but you definitely make a good living for the industry/salary range, certainly based on what my pre-grad degree salary is compared to the nonprofit career statistics published by SIPA) She got her MPA in 2002 I believe.

Another, my former coworker, who had the same position I do now, got his MIA in 2011, decided to concentrate in Energy and Environment and used the degree to make an industry switch, and now works for an energy consulting/monitoring firm.

Another friend got her MIA in 2010 and then continued school by pursuing a phD at HKS, where she is now.

I'll be sure to save this! To remind me that I should pick SIPA whenever my head screaming the word SAIS!!! Oh God I have to make decision soon.. it will take all the stress away.

Thank you very much HDPFDan

My pleasure! You're obviously going to be in great shape either way since you've got great schools from which to choose (that line must have been used on this site SO much in recent weeks). So don't sweat it too much ;)