SIPA (Columbia) Thread

I will go back of course... Without them I will never can afford both schools! the international institutions thing is for a distant-future!!

Why is your case much more complicated? Perhaps I could help you justifying SIPA.. (hehehe)

the complication has been resolved. I am admitted to SIPA and most probably I am accepting the offer. by the way, does anyone know about the pre-term English courses? is there a way to get rid of that condition? erry, did you make up your mind? where are you going?

Congrats, msal! May I ask you what time did you hear from them? As far as I know from foreign students that attended SIPA, the pre-term English course is this http://ce.columbia.edu/American-Language-Program/English-Professional-Purposes-International-and-Public-Affairs. It is required for those with a TOEFL score below 109. You can get rid of this requirement if you repeat the exam and pass this mark. Also, I have been told that if you prove that you are not able to attend, i.e work reasons, you can be exempt as well. Good luck and let us know if you accept the offer!!

Congrats, msal! May I ask you what time did you hear from them? As far as I know from foreign students that attended SIPA, the pre-term English course is this http://ce.columbia.e...-Public-Affairs. It is required for those with a TOEFL score below 109. You can get rid of this requirement if you repeat the exam and pass this mark. Also, I have been told that if you prove that you are not able to attend, i.e work reasons, you can be exempt as well. Good luck and let us know if you accept the offer!!

Hai madrilena.. I have some confusion regarding this. Perhaps you could give me (and the others) some clues.

If we look at the admitted student page, on the checklist, we can find this information:

Who is required to take the English Language Courses?

Your letter of admission will specify the language course(s) you are required to complete. Applicants with a TOEFL score less than 110 or a IELTS score of less than 7.5 are required to take English Language courses at Columbia.

• Applicants who scored less than 25 on the Listening, Speaking or Reading portions of the TOEFL will be required to take the summer language course (ENGL Z0015).
    • Applicants who scored less than 25 on the Writing portion of the TOEFL will be required to take the fall language course (INAF U6950 English for Int’l and Public Affairs) for 3 credits.

Applicants may re-take the TOEFL of IELTS exams to improve their scores. If you earn over 110 on the TOEFL or over 7.5 on the IELTS, please submit your new scores to the Office of Admissions by June 15th.

While my iBT score is only 109. And yes I don't have anything mentioned about language course on my admission letter. But still I am worried about this. 109 is below 110, should I just take this for granted or do i need to ask for more?

Thank you in advance for help and insights

While my iBT score is only 109. And yes I don't have anything mentioned about language course on my admission letter. But still I am worried about this. 109 is below 110, should I just take this for granted or do i need to ask for more?

Thank you in advance for help and insights

How is it distributed? Do you have 24 on writing and 25 on everything else? In any case, asking never hurts.

Hey erry, I was told that the course is just for those who scored below 109 (now I have doubts) but it always appears in your acceptance letter. Anyway, I assume that if your letter doesn't mention the course, you are exempt for sure. If you were required, it would mention it. Just ask the admissions office. Did you score over 25 in all the sections? Maybe that's the reason.... I scored 106 so if I were admitted, I would have to take the course or repeat the TOEFL.

Yeah, maybe you should ask...But it's strange because you got 23 in the speaking part but your letter doesn't mention anything about the course... Who knows, just ask them and let us know what they say. Btw, last year a friend of mine took the course and he said it was really good, very interesting but also expensive...You have a scholarship, do they pay you the pre academic courses?

Edited by Madrilena25

Yeah, maybe you should ask...But it's strange because you got 23 in the speaking part but your letter doesn't mention anything about the course... Who knows, just ask them and let us know what they say. Btw, last year a friend of mine took the course and he said it was really good, very interesting but also expensive...You have a scholarship, do they pay you the pre academic courses?

Yeah its very expensive, i'd rather use my extra courses fund for SAIS econ course hahahaha... Then go to SIPA

lol... Maybe you don't have to take the course, just ask them! So erry, you are leaning toward SIPA?

yes.. its been 3 days already.. after a whole week leaning toward SAIS..

What about you? Already sure you'll go to SIPA? I just need to know some little more details on SIPA to make me set.. like the international trip and projects and also the IFEP program itself.. What program are u in Madrilena? Anyway I noticed that you're from Spain! I really love Barcelona, don't know whether you're from Bcn or not, just saying!

Hahaha just go to SIPA. I have heard amazing things about Columbia. Also about SAIS, but I just prefer SIPA (that’s my personal opinion though).

Well, I haven’t heard from them yet but I feel I will be rejected because: my quant background is not very strong and my GRE scores are totally average. I applied to the Economic and Political Development concentration and IMAC specialization. That’s what I like about Columbia, that the program is very attractive for people with a media background but interested in IR. I’m interested in media development and SIPA is really good at this.

But if I were admitted, I would definitely go. And actually I’m from Madrid but I love Barcelona as well ;-) What about you? Where in Indonesia? Why don’t you contact students at the IFEP track to learn more about the program? You can also check this: http://sipa.columbia.edu/resources_services/admissions/interviews.html

Hahaha just go to SIPA. I have heard amazing things about Columbia. Also about SAIS, but I just prefer SIPA (that’s my personal opinion though).

Well, I haven’t heard from them yet but I feel I will be rejected because: my quant background is not very strong and my GRE scores are totally average. I applied to the Economic and Political Development concentration and IMAC specialization. That’s what I like about Columbia, that the program is very attractive for people with a media background but interested in IR. I’m interested in media development and SIPA is really good at this.

But if I were admitted, I would definitely go. And actually I’m from Madrid but I love Barcelona as well ;-) What about you? Where in Indonesia? Why don’t you contact students at the IFEP track to learn more about the program? You can also check this: http://sipa.columbia...interviews.html

relax.. you'll get it!! I have no quant and econ background like at all! not even one course! Since my undergrad is pure IR, i only have courses like international political economy and international business. And don't get me going on my GRE scores, awful! barely made it on average, but my AW is well below standard!

just believe! you'll make it if u believe! would be happy to go to SIPA if the kind of people on this thread will be going too!!

Thanks for the link! it helps

Erry, I think even though your speaking is below 25, but since you are working in English circumstances, you are considered fluent in English. So, you should feel glad then.

Is there any SIPA admitted in this thread required to enroll the summer course?

Edited by setiadi

Hi Guys! I was rejected from MPA DP program a week ago, and still can't stop checking this blog! I guess I will be going through the application process again late this year, so trying to figure things out what can I do until then to make sure I get accepted!

GPA 3.7, studied Business Admin with concentration in Finance

Went to community college first (3.5 GPA) then transfered ---- do universities (like Columbia) look at that as a weakness?....

GRE - retaking in a few month, i did poorly on verbal part (English is my second language)

Working as analyst for asset management company (5yrs), intl division, doing research, data analysis, corporation actions etc....

I don't have any real volunteer work, I do try to do little stuff now and then, but having a full time job and a baby is tough to dedicate time...

I don't have any real travel experience like many strong applicants, once again Im either working or taking care of my daughter

So with said, I would apperiate any suggestions!!! Thank you, and good luck to all of you guys that are still waiting!

beekline: I'm only another student and didn't even hear back from SIPA yet (am also applying to another program). What I feel stands out about your application is that you don't really have any experience in PP or the development field. Why exactly do you want to study the MPA DP? Most people you're competing with will have lots of relevant experience in the field, whereas you have only some slightly tangential experience, from what you described. This kind of program is not designed for people wanting to switch careers, but rather for people wanting to advance. That said, I don't know how you incorporated your experience at the AMC with your development plans in your SOP, but it's going to be tougher.

I'll also say that with a baby and not that much relevant experience, maybe this is not the right time for you to purse a MPA? I'm not trying to discourage you from your dream, just saying that maybe you could wait until your daughter is older, look for a more development-related job or get some volunteer experience in that field and reapply in a couple of years.

It's going to be tough getting in without relevant background,little volunteer work and little foreign travel.

Just my two cents though.

In addition, I don't think people will care that much about your verbal score, esp. since you're not native speaker. Unless it's really abysmal, I'd think twice about retaking it, esp. if your quant is up to speed.

To sort of echo what IRToni said, I think the reach is in going for the DP, as opposed to just the MPA or MIA. The Development Practice is for people who are pretty clearly dedicated to development work and looking to advance in that field. With your background, I think you'd have better success in applying for one of the two main MA programs, in either the IFEP or EPD concentrations, and use your SOP to address why you want to move into development/whatever from your background in asset management. I think you'd have a good shot at SIPA by taking that approach, rather than applying for the DP which I believe is a far smaller and more selective program for individuals who have development experience.

To sort of echo what IRToni said, I think the reach is in going for the DP, as opposed to just the MPA or MIA. The Development Practice is for people who are pretty clearly dedicated to development work and looking to advance in that field. With your background, I think you'd have better success in applying for one of the two main MA programs, in either the IFEP or EPD concentrations, and use your SOP to address why you want to move into development/whatever from your background in asset management. I think you'd have a good shot at SIPA by taking that approach, rather than applying for the DP which I believe is a far smaller and more selective program for individuals who have development experience.

HDPFDan, Thanks for ur response. Yeah I gathered more info as I applied and also came to conclusion that my development experience, or better said inexperience is a weakness for such specific program as MPA DP....I met with so many people, and heard the same question: "tell me about your travel experiences?..." and I could only respond, well, I am still paying off loans from undergrad, working, and raising a kid....

And then the second major factor was my failure at GRE....considering I work for quantitative group, you would think my GRE would rock!...

beekline, i recommend looking into taking the GMAT instead. That is what i did, because i definitely have strength in quant and just do abysmally on the GRE verbal section. the gmat quant is similar material to the gre, but different types of questions. the verbal was MUCH easier for me compared to the gre, as it is more focused on grammar and logic. many schools (including columbia) accept the gmat in lieu of the gre. granted, i have yet to hear back from sipa, but i have been accepted to other great programs and i am certain that a contributing factor is that my high gmat score more accurately mirrored my gpa than a low gre would have

beekline: I'm only another student and didn't even hear back from SIPA yet (am also applying to another program). What I feel stands out about your application is that you don't really have any experience in PP or the development field. Why exactly do you want to study the MPA DP? Most people you're competing with will have lots of relevant experience in the field, whereas you have only some slightly tangential experience, from what you described. This kind of program is not designed for people wanting to switch careers, but rather for people wanting to advance. That said, I don't know how you incorporated your experience at the AMC with your development plans in your SOP, but it's going to be tougher.

I'll also say that with a baby and not that much relevant experience, maybe this is not the right time for you to purse a MPA? I'm not trying to discourage you from your dream, just saying that maybe you could wait until your daughter is older, look for a more development-related job or get some volunteer experience in that field and reapply in a couple of years.

It's going to be tough getting in without relevant background,little volunteer work and little foreign travel.

Just my two cents though.

In addition, I don't think people will care that much about your verbal score, esp. since you're not native speaker. Unless it's really abysmal, I'd think twice about retaking it, esp. if your quant is up to speed.

Wow, thanks IRToni! ...This is why I love this blog so much, I really appreciate the advice and help. And I def see why I wasn't chosen for such specific program. Its tough to get relevant experience that university requires to be competative, its tough to get a job without relevant education as well...No way out! No no im very optimistic, just joking! There is always a way I guess.....

My work is "influencing" me into CFA program (financial analysist designation) that takes all if any available time that I could potentially use toward MPA program preparation.....

Congrats, msal! May I ask you what time did you hear from them? As far as I know from foreign students that attended SIPA, the pre-term English course is this http://ce.columbia.e...-Public-Affairs. It is required for those with a TOEFL score below 109. You can get rid of this requirement if you repeat the exam and pass this mark. Also, I have been told that if you prove that you are not able to attend, i.e work reasons, you can be exempt as well. Good luck and let us know if you accept the offer!!

@msal, what concentration did you apply to?

thank you madrilena, I heard like yesterday 16:00 EST. my concentration is international finance and economic policy. regarding the pre-term issue, as far as I know, graduating from a university where medium of instruction is English is enough to be exempted from TOEFL. this is my case but I still sent my score (what was I thinking?). I will try to remind this to them.

so you're gonna go to SIPA? And why is it?? come on help me make up my mind!!!!

And congratulations!!!!!!!!!! Are you sure you're not going to SAIS? (hahaha I'm spreading my problem all over this place)

and thanks erry. I wanna go to SIPA due to my special case :) I should go to NYC since my wife is also going to SIPA. I don't think this would help make up your mind :)