SIPA (Columbia) Thread

Hi guys! Congrats to all of you who got in! Actually, I was accepted at BU and GWU. I have applied to SIPA but this was more due to the olympic concept "It's the taking part that counts!" ;)

Apart from the fact that you all seem to have done so much already I know that I won't have a chance at all. Still, there is a slight hope even though I'd be more than happy to go to Boston, or DC. :)

Nevertheless - I thank you all for posting here cause I thought I was the only one freaking out about this waiting...I still have not heard anything...so Madrilena25- we're in the same boat!

Take care all of you!

Yeah we are definitely in the same boat! I also applied to BU and GWU. I'm still waiting for BU but got into GWU! Good luck to you as well!

yeah erry, go to SIPA and tell them to release the DECISIONS!

hahaha.. what if they admitted you? (which I am sure they will).. will u drop SAIS and go to SIPA? If you do the same, I'll do it with you! hahahahahahah OMG I really am tired of weighing these two schools! Now I don't care anymore! Columbia is Columbia! NYC is NYC!

Go to SIPA, erry3779! I know several people who went to SIPA and they absolutely loved it. They made great connections and they all have very good jobs! "Going to SIPA changes your life", that's what they said... Good luck and congrats on your acceptance!

wow thank you for another justification!!! I really need this!!! I hope you'll go to SIPA too!

hahaha.. what if they admitted you? (which I am sure they will).. will u drop SAIS and go to SIPA? If you do the same, I'll do it with you! hahahahahahah OMG I really am tired of weighing these two schools! Now I don't care anymore! Columbia is Columbia! NYC is NYC!

well, if you are not going back to your foreign ministry and prefer an international institution (I remember such a thing, am I right) I think columbia might be good choice, or let's say both schools are great. but if you will go back, I think SAIS is a little bit ahead of SIPA. I believe that SAIS can give you a very good insight on current American foreign policy, which is a very good asset.

my case is much more complicated. for the time being I just want them to announce.

well, if you are not going back to your foreign ministry and prefer an international institution (I remember such a thing, am I right) I think columbia might be good choice, or let's say both schools are great. but if you will go back, I think SAIS is a little bit ahead of SIPA. I believe that SAIS can give you a very good insight on current American foreign policy, which is a very good asset.

my case is much more complicated. for the time being I just want them to announce.

I will go back of course... Without them I will never can afford both schools! the international institutions thing is for a distant-future!!

Why is your case much more complicated? Perhaps I could help you justifying SIPA.. (hehehe)

To erry and those of you who have been accepted: first off, congrats! Second, were you given a deadline to accept your offer? If so, would you mind sharing the deadline? It'd be good to know when in April they have a sense of class size/open waitlist spots.

When you log into the application portal there will be a link at the bottom of the main page below "decision status:_____" when a decision is available. Good luck!

Mine says : We look forward to working with you !

Submission Status: Not Submitted

Is yours the same ??

I called the office of admissions today, an administrative assistant answered who was herself a student there. Decisions are expected to keep rolling till Friday next week. On a brighter note, she was herself notified in April, and awarded a fellowship as well

@eigenvector, thanks for calling! i guess i will just have to accept that for the next week or so i may not have an answer, and must stop compulsively refreshing the website. it cannot be good for my health! (easier said than done!) when a decision comes, it will come

Mine says : We look forward to working with you !

Submission Status: Not Submitted

Is yours the same ??

Mine says the same thing as well! I was confused at first because I had gotten the email a while back confirming that my application was complete... but glad that it seems like more of a mistake with the system than anything...

For those of us that haven't heard back, I have a friend who's doing admissions at Georgetown MSFS who also is releasing decisions on a rolling basis like Columbia SIPA, and she had said that those that were notified first are most likely definite admits (or otherwise) and that the rest are kind of more up in the air -- weird, because I thought someone had wrote that when they called SIPA said the decisions are made it's just a matter of releasing it into the system, etc. but then their "still waiting" blog post says that not all apps have completed review...? hmm. Wonder what's going on... sighhhh hard to determine if I have a real shot or not, because I haven't heard back yet :S

Syk I have the same doubt. Someone said a few days ago that when he/she called SIPA, they said all decisions had already been made but then I saw that post in the blog...and it just didn't make sense :( I feel a rejection is coming for me....

For those of us that haven't heard back, I have a friend who's doing admissions at Georgetown MSFS who also is releasing decisions on a rolling basis like Columbia SIPA, and she had said that those that were notified first are most likely definite admits (or otherwise) and that the rest are kind of more up in the air -- weird, because I thought someone had wrote that when they called SIPA said the decisions are made it's just a matter of releasing it into the system, etc. but then their "still waiting" blog post says that not all apps have completed review...? hmm. Wonder what's going on... sighhhh hard to determine if I have a real shot or not, because I haven't heard back yet :S

This is all conjecture of course, but considering the fact that some people who received significant funding only just found out they were accepted by checking the site, I wouldn't worry just yet. Keep your heads up!

For those of you still waiting, what are your desired fields of study? I ask because I do think they evaluated applications by that... as in dcenergygirl and I found out at the same time and both were Energy and Environment Track.

I also notice on the admit site that certain tracks don't have any messages/postings/members yet...

if you're getting aid do they mention it where they publish the decision? i found the whole go back to the admissions page, login and find just one sentence about their decision a wholly dissatisfying experience. anyway for what it's worth a friend's friend works in SIPA admin and had told me on 28 feb that i had been admitted in to the MIA-EPD program. i only got the notification yesterday. wonder what they were doing until then. if the decision has no mention of aid then is it safe to presume none is coming my way?

i don't know if SIPA's worth the loan. SAIS though i am willing to consider because of the reputation of the program and the smaller size of the class. my friends from SIPA told me that they were pretty much out by themselves when it came to the job hunt as SIPA's career services is very hands-off. that's pretty much the big reason why i'd be hesitant to consider a loan for SIPA.