SIPA (Columbia) Thread

Are yall just checking in the online application, or is there somewhere else to check status online?

edit, jinx haha

Edited by puddin

Finally I heard back from SIPA; I've been waitlisted. Oh well, I think I botched up the application a bit; I've been worried about it ever since I sent it in. I wanted to do the dual-degree program with Tokyo University.

During the application process, I selected a dual degree option online, then Tokyo as my dual degree school...but in the drop down box for concentration, it was empty! I left it empty, but the website wouldn't allow me to send in my application because I hadn't selected a concentration! I e-mailed technical support, but they weren't prompt with responding, so I changed my application, choose a normal degree program and the concentrations most closely aligned with my interests/goals. But I stated in my PS that I wanted to do the Tokyo/Columbia dual degree program.

I think after I sent in my application or after the application deadline, technical support got back to me and added concentrations for Tokyo University to the website. I've been paranoid about my SIPA application ever since because my application and PS differed a bit. I hope this wasn't the reason I didn't get accepted...

Anyway, congrats to everyone accepted and choosing to attend SIPA; I wish I could join you guys there. But given the negativity flying around these forums about the place, I don't feel so bad about not being accepted. I really wanted to study at Tokyo University though!

Edited by nouveau.ukiyo

energypolicy23 i wonder if they're debating over the two of us, we seem to be pretty similar... all i have left is completely random speculation.

"research has shown that people can tolerate uncertainty for only so long." from a random nytimes article on phobias, http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/03/03/things-to-fear-and-loathe/?scp=1&sq=anxiety%20phobias&st=cse

but at least something to keep your mind busy for another 10 minutes or so.

energypolicy23 i wonder if they're debating over the two of us, we seem to be pretty similar... all i have left is completely random speculation.

"research has shown that people can tolerate uncertainty for only so long." from a random nytimes article on phobias, http://opinionator.b...0phobias&st=cse

Hahaha thank you, my stomach issues and anxiety has just been through the roof... my body needs to calm down eventually. The thing is, you got in to Berkeley, I am waitlisted. That's why I slyly asked you the other day if you were not going to go :)... We did both get rejected from HKS and WWS though...

Anyway if I don't get SIPA, which is my hands down first choice (always was) I'm going to try my darndest to get off the Berkeley waitlist. Fortunately, I work with a lot of Goldman people in my line of work, so I feel like I can make some connections there.

"research has shown that people can tolerate uncertainty for only so long." from a random nytimes article on phobias, http://opinionator.b...0phobias&st=cse

not just both of you, count me in

this makes a lot more sense. almost makes me feel better about not having heard yet.

Oh wow... that's the first theory that actually makes sense to me!! Since I didn't apply for a fellowship, I turned my app in at the same time as everyone... etc

this makes a lot more sense. almost makes me feel better about not having heard yet.

Also applied to E&E concentration. I guess that explains the silence.

The fun doesn't really end when you've heard back from schools. I've had a few nights of restless sleep and I couldn't sleep at all the night I found out I got into SIPA. I'll probably be declining my offer sometime after this weekend after speaking with an acquaintance in the program. The financial aspect is just too large to overlook!!!

Actually, I'm still waiting but I applied for the MIA program and the concentration I applied for was International Security Policy...

Is it just me or does it seem off that they are holding an info session tomorrow BEFORE all the decisions have come out?

btw I applied for MIA with a concentration in human rights, and applied to IFP.... waiting, waiting.....refreshing, refreshing...

Edited by leapoffaith

Hi Beekline,

I work as civil servant since 2009. Graduated from a university in Indonesia with a Rural Development Internship, where I was placed in a post-earthquake area. I elaborated these experience on my Personal Statement. Hope it give you another point of view.

Good luck for you.

I worked two years for the IADB in Washington DC, came back to my home country, worked one year for a private sector company in their financial area. I volunteered for a women foundation and then went back to work for the IADB but this time at their country office in Colombia. I have been here for a year and a half. While working for the Bank in DC I was mostly on the preparation phase of the projects. Now, while at the Bank's country office, I have been working mostly on the execution, as well as on a closer relationship with the Government of the country.

Hope this helps...

Pardon the quick blahg:

I feel pretty good about being on the waitlist. I have to remember that I had been planning on waiting another year to apply, and ended up doing this on a whim. SIPA was the only school I applied to (I'm in NYC and may try to keep working) so if I don't end up making it in off the waitlist, I'll have to wait a year, but I don't really mind. I have a few backup options in mind (including adding good experience through courses/volunteering/internships) that would likely increase my chances of being admitted next time. I'll also apply to many more schools next time around, and another year to save money for school couldn't hurt.

That said, I'm optimistic I'll make it in off the waitlist. I have no idea how large it is, but based on the (admittedly small sample) gradcafe survey/forums, it seems a lot of admitted folks end up choosing other schools, the cost being a major factor. Any other waitlisters have thoughts on this?

Edited by HDPFDan