SIPA (Columbia) Thread

I'm still waiting. I'm just going to believe that batch 1 and two have been sent out and there's a huge aid package coming our way ;-). Of course, I might just get rejected... It really is a crapshoot.

I wish I could agree with you IRToni, but trust me, my application will NEVER get funding. I had horrible grades, but good work experience, so it stands to reason that there would be a bit of controversy about my application. I'm afraid they're probably still just deliberating over those who they're on the fence about.

I wish I could agree with you IRToni, but trust me, my application will NEVER get funding. I had horrible grades, but good work experience, so it stands to reason that there would be a bit of controversy about my application. I'm afraid they're probably still just deliberating over those who they're on the fence about.

Yeah same here with my undergrad GPA...

I'm in the exact same position, hudwa.

I'm trying to be optimistic and get through this weekend with the "Good things come to those who wait" philosophy...

I'm in the exact same position, hudwa.

I'm trying to be optimistic and get through this weekend with the "Good things come to those who wait" philosophy...

True that. I couldn't get funding in the schools I've been accepted to either. Waiting for more.

Btw, do you think applying next fall with better GRE (currently 164Q, 157V) and some more work ex (I already have ~4) could bolster my chances of being funded?

True that. I couldn't get funding in the schools I've been accepted to either. Waiting for more.

Btw, do you think applying next fall with better GRE (currently 164Q, 157V) and some more work ex (I already have ~4) could bolster my chances of being funded?

My gut reaction is that I think you will probably need to increase the quality of your work experience and be able to explain your work experience in a way that makes your future seem cohesive and feasible. Also depends on your recommendations, so if enhancing (not just lengthening) your work experience will make your recommendation letters better, then it is very likely your chances can be bolstered.

Thanks flux000. I was thinking along similar lines. Work ex, LOR's etc. are subjective parameters though, so there's of course no certainty. GPA being irreparable, I'm counting on my pending applications... just in case an offer comes through. :)

What's your decision on Harris, btw?

My gut reaction is that I think you will probably need to increase the quality of your work experience and be able to explain your work experience in a way that makes your future seem cohesive and feasible. Also depends on your recommendations, so if enhancing (not just lengthening) your work experience will make your recommendation letters better, then it is very likely your chances can be bolstered.

I have been following this thread for a bit.. and I haven't heard from SIPA yet either ! Can't wait. It's the last school on my list, apart from SUNYAlbany, although after MAxwell and the others I think I won't be looking at that.

Would like suggestions on Heinz (Carnegie Mellon) vs. Ford (UMich) ?

Must say pretty disappointed with GPPI and NYU! Oh well !

Applied : UCB MPP, Princeton WWS, Ford MPP, CMU MSPPM, HKS MPP, SIPA MPA, GWU MPP, Maxwell MPA, GPPI MPP, Sanford, SUNY Albany, NYU

Accepted: Heinz ($6k/sem), Ford MPP ($?), Maxwell ($?), GWU ($0)

Rejected: UCB MPP, Princeton WWS, HKS, GPPI, NYU, Duke

Got admitted in MPA DP, but I need to enroll in the summer English course on July 23rd to Aug 17. This course also requires additional cost. :D

Anyone is admitted with the same requirement?

Got admitted in MPA DP, but I need to enroll in the summer English course on July 23rd to Aug 17. This course also requires additional cost. :D

Anyone is admitted with the same requirement?

Selamat ya Setiadi..

Anyway where did you find about the summer English Course requirement? Is it on the decision letter? because I cannot find anything about it on my letter.. this will be a very good deal maker for SIPA for me, since SAIS requires me not only language course but also econ course.

Just got into MPA-DP!!! So excited! No funding though...I will definitely need to look for other funding sources (I'm an international student)

Hi wanderingwonderer,

Salam kenal.

God willing, I'm going to MPA DP as well. Glad to hear that there will be an Indonesian (even though you are living abroad) in the program.

Btw, are you asked to enroll in the summer English program?

Hi wanderingwonderer,

Salam kenal.

God willing, I'm going to MPA DP as well. Glad to hear that there will be an Indonesian (even though you are living abroad) in the program.

Btw, are you asked to enroll in the summer English program?

Hi Setiadi,

Salam kenal juga! Selamat juga ya! Yep I got into MPA DP and super excited. Now the big challenge for me is figuring out how to finance it. I am Indonesian but been living abroad for 3 years working for a development organization, so unfortunately there is very limited funding support available for me (i think there are more sources for ministry employees). I am trying to tap into some foundations, but if you have any tips would appreciate if you can share :).

I'm not required to enroll in the summer English program, perhaps because my work experience (~6 years) has been mostly in English-speaking environment? There isn't any mention of this on my acceptance letter.

It's really great to learn that the small program accepted 2 Indonesians! Looking forward to meeting you in NYC.

Selamat ya Setiadi..

Anyway where did you find about the summer English Course requirement? Is it on the decision letter? because I cannot find anything about it on my letter.. this will be a very good deal maker for SIPA for me, since SAIS requires me not only language course but also econ course.

Terima kasih.

Yes, it is stated on the decision letter. You might not need to enroll because your iBT score has met their requirement.

Mine is less than 110, while I read on the admission page, the requirement was only 100. But I am going to enjoy the program anyway :)

Edited by setiadi

Terima kasih.

Yes, it is stated on the decision letter. You might not need to enroll because your iBT score has met their requirement. Mine is less than 110.

But my iBT is 109, which is less than 110. I will try to call them and ask about this.

Anyway, so you will go to SIPA? Oh meen, this will make me leaning toward SIPA after days of SAIS.. a lot of Indonesian are actually go to SIPA over SAIS. But deep down I really love what SAIS has to offer.

9:00am in New York. After a less than relaxing weekend, I get to spend another otherwise stress-free day at work constantly updating applyyourself, this forum and the results survey.

Congrats on ur acceptance....I actually heard of people requiring to take english courses before the semester starts, and few had to carry on with additional english classes in their first year of study...

quick question to the international students that got accepted into MPA-DP, would you mind sharing your work experience, im just trying to gauge, what time of exprience these type of schools are looking for....thanks!