SIPA (Columbia) Thread

oh this was my rejection letter, anyone has similar?.....

In considering our applicants, the Admissions Committee looks for a variety of characteristics that indicate the ability to complete our rigorous program and participate in focused professional development activities. These characteristics include relevant professional and/or volunteer experiences, a strong quantitative background, demonstrated excellence in writing, and the ability to articulate future goals and how these goals relate to the SIPA curriculum.

Due to the large number of applications we receive, the admissions office is unable to provide individualized feedback about the details of your admission decision. Please note that your application materials will be kept on file in our office for two years. You are welcome to reapply. Details regarding the process of submitting another application in the future are available at: http://sipa.columbia.edu/resources_services/admissions/reapply.html

I haven't gotten one (yet -- oh god) but I think it's BS. I would venture to say that 95% of their rejection are for one or two of a dozen reasons. They can at least give you a couple lines of stock feedback.

If what they wrote on their blog is accurate and the decision is legit, those of us who haven't heard might be considered for fellowships. I just checked, my decision isn't up yet. I'm still waiting on 2 schools besides this and the wait is so frustrating...

If what they wrote on their blog is accurate and the decision is legit, those of us who haven't heard might be considered for fellowships. I just checked, my decision isn't up yet. I'm still waiting on 2 schools besides this and the wait is so frustrating...

sipa, sfs, and...?

I didn't apply for a fellowship/ask for funding, thinking that it might approve my chances of admission. At the very least, I highly doubt I'd be considered for any first year funding since it is a limited amount and I did not have a stellar undergrad GPA (my work/quant experience since undergrad is the strength of my application, which is why I've been upbeat.) So I have no idea at this point. I feel a waitlist coming.

I didn't apply for a fellowship/ask for funding, thinking that it might approve my chances of admission. At the very least, I highly doubt I'd be considered for any first year funding since it is a limited amount and I did not have a stellar undergrad GPA (my work/quant experience since undergrad is the strength of my application, which is why I've been upbeat.) So I have no idea at this point. I feel a waitlist coming.

Same same same

I have tempered all expectations for SIPA and SFS at this point. No real hopes for a big prize, I would just love to have all my desicions and fin aid info on the table so I can move forward with a decisions. Is that too much to ask??

Seconded...I don't think this admissions result is going to affect where I go (especially after putting us through this painful wait!) but I just want to have all the information so I can make a final decision and move on!

Just checked and am on the waitlist. Relieved that I may still get in, but still: MORE waiting. Great.

Now I need to start pestering SIPA-accepted gradcafe members to enroll elsewhere and free up some slots :)

I think I need very clear instructions on how to check online the admission results. Is it with the same applyyourself pin and passsword used for the application process? Where should the answer appear?