SIPA (Columbia) Thread

Just heard back. Rejected. Good luck to everyone who's still waiting!

Sorry to hear that, hudwa. I am sure something better will work out for you! May I ask if they emailed you or you checked the website yourself?

The Admissions Office has been fielding many calls and emails regarding decisions. We have not forgotten you. We began releasing decisions on Wednesday and continue to release decisions as they become available. If you have not heard from us yet, it does not mean your application is in a better or worse position. It only means that the Admissions Committee did not complete their evaluation of your application yet. We hope to provide decisions for every submitted and complete application by the end of next week. Thank you for your patience.

------------------------

End of next week!!! :wacko:

The Admissions Office has been fielding many calls and emails regarding decisions. We have not forgotten you. We began releasing decisions on Wednesday and continue to release decisions as they become available. If you have not heard from us yet, it does not mean your application is in a better or worse position. It only means that the Admissions Committee did not complete their evaluation of your application yet. We hope to provide decisions for every submitted and complete application by the end of next week. Thank you for your patience.

------------------------

End of next week!!! :wacko:

Oh nice, almost by April.... what were they doing between the 7th of January till now may I ask

Sucks to hear. Did they mention anything else, like reapplying etc? also could you post your stats?

noooooooooo!! :( so sad to hear... we've lost one of our best forum poster buddies.

Sorry to hear that, hudwa. I am sure something better will work out for you! May I ask if they emailed you or you checked the website yourself?

What a sad way to end a fantastic drama! =[ I s'pose yours was a tragedy and not a happy ending >.<

Thanks everybody. For me, grad school was supposed to be a means unto an end. I'm going to keep working toward my life and career goals, and if it makes sense to apply next year, that's what I'll do. But I'm not going to sit around waiting for another opportunity to pay $85 bucks just to be judged. I'll be moving forward and growing, and I hope all you guys, accepted or not, can do the same :)

By the way, that end of next week thing is absolutely ridiculous. I am the only person on the results survey or this forum who received results today. Does that mean they're going over one application per day now?? Though I'm not in, I'm damn glad I'm not waiting anymore lol

Oh yeah, here's my applicant profile (I think you won't be surprised as to why I didn't get in after you read it...):

Edited by hudwa

Congrats on ur acceptance....I actually heard of people requiring to take english courses before the semester starts, and few had to carry on with additional english classes in their first year of study...

quick question to the international students that got accepted into MPA-DP, would you mind sharing your work experience, im just trying to gauge, what time of exprience these type of schools are looking for....thanks!

Hi Beekline,

I work as civil servant since 2009. Graduated from a university in Indonesia with a Rural Development Internship, where I was placed in a post-earthquake area. I elaborated these experience on my Personal Statement. Hope it give you another point of view.

Good luck for you.

Slightly OT:

hudwa: That seems like a good, healthy attitude. A couple of things: If you get off the waitlist at SAIS, will you take the offer? I feel like your undergrad GPA really hurt you at the top schools you applied to. Did you think about applying to some 2nd/3rd tier schools as well? UCSD comes to mind with their regional focus. It would be a shame if your undergrad GPA prevented you from realizing your potentional :-). Anyway, just wanted to send you a pick-me up and say that I really like your attitude and think that schools shouldn't value undergrad GPA as much, if they have other things to judge you on.

Back on topic: Nothing for me so far. I'm not banking on it and I would only attend will full scholarship, but it's the not-knowing that gets me. I'm still waiting for two more schools, so I just want to wrap this up and start making arrangements for real...

Hudwa, sorry to hear this story ended like that. you represented our patience, impatience, despair and hope all together. I hope all the best for your future goals.

p.s. by the way, your theory about one decision per day really freaked me out!

Oh yeah, here's my applicant profile (I think you won't be surprised as to why I didn't get in after you read it...):

You do have quite a stellar profile, apart from the obvious. Good luck with what you plan to do next.

Rejected. But at least they really took time to think about it ? Haha. I am right out of undergrad so I got the :

Each year, the Committee recommends that a small number of candidates in your position consider reapplying. There is no guarantee of future admission, due to the competitive nature of the admission process, but the Committee believes you will be a stronger candidate after gaining additional professional experience.

Good luck everyone!

Tough luck man. If the wound isn't too fresh, can I ask what time you were notified by e-mail? And will you be attending SIS?

If only they'd allow us some insight into the method to their release schedule madness. It seems so random.

Edited by Coloradical

Not sure there is a method to the maddness!

I will actually be attending Madison in the fall. I did not receive any money from SIS so it is not an option for me. But I love Madison's program, especially for what I want to do so all is well.

Thanks for this forum everyone! It kept me sane.

Oh I forgot to say how I was notified. I was checking the website and it finally came up. Ten minutes later got an email saying to check the website.

Great, my strategy of refreshing the website every minute is a good one :) ! Good luck at Madison!

Sorry to the recently rejected. hudwa, your profile and rejection worry me, as we have a similar profile. My undergraduate gpa, while a little higher, is definitely my weak point. But I do have some more quantitative experience (those 2 points aren't to put u down, since I think your app looks great, just trying to convince myself I still have a chance at SIPA!) Kudos on the attitude as well; I hope I can be as positive if I don't make the cut.

Rejected. But at least they really took time to think about it ? Haha. I am right out of undergrad so I got the :

Each year, the Committee recommends that a small number of candidates in your position consider reapplying. There is no guarantee of future admission, due to the competitive nature of the admission process, but the Committee believes you will be a stronger candidate after gaining additional professional experience.

Good luck everyone!

Rejected. Same reason - encouraged to reapply as straight out of undergrad. Sigh... :(

Good luck to all those who are waiting!

sorry to hear re: rejections....the weekend helped me to recover...I got my notification on Friday for MPA DP program....you would think for 100 bucks that we invest, we would at least get something more than a general letter?....

oh this was my rejection letter, anyone has similar?.....

In considering our applicants, the Admissions Committee looks for a variety of characteristics that indicate the ability to complete our rigorous program and participate in focused professional development activities. These characteristics include relevant professional and/or volunteer experiences, a strong quantitative background, demonstrated excellence in writing, and the ability to articulate future goals and how these goals relate to the SIPA curriculum.

Due to the large number of applications we receive, the admissions office is unable to provide individualized feedback about the details of your admission decision. Please note that your application materials will be kept on file in our office for two years. You are welcome to reapply. Details regarding the process of submitting another application in the future are available at: http://sipa.columbia.edu/resources_services/admissions/reapply.html