SIPA (Columbia) Thread

My impression is that there are a substantial # of Japanese applicants to SIPA every year, in part because of the Japan/WB fellowship opportunities. So hopefully this post is somewhat related to the thread. Based on the coverage I've seen, the earthquake/tsunami was really devastating. I'm not sure what to say on the topic without sounding trite, but I hope everyone is safe.

I'm still waiting.

I know rolling admissions is not a precise process, but I couldn't help noticing that if 10% have been reviewed in 3 or 4 days, they are releasing 2-3% of the remaining decisions per day since the 7th march. So, those of us in the final 25% could be waiting up to 8-10 working days based on this calculation.

Of course, this is not an exact science. But still worth pointing out that based on this projection some of us could be waiting past the 19/20th weekend. (gulp!)

I think thats a fair assumption since last year, they werent done until March 24th or 25th...

I'm still waiting.

I know rolling admissions is not a precise process, but I couldn't help noticing that if 10% have been reviewed in 3 or 4 days, they are releasing 2-3% of the remaining decisions per day since the 7th march. So, those of us in the final 25% could be waiting up to 8-10 working days based on this calculation.

Of course, this is not an exact science. But still worth pointing out that based on this projection some of us could be waiting past the 19/20th weekend. (gulp!)

Hi all -

I'm in the remaining 25% of applicants still playing the waiting game for SIPA (MPA-Economic & Political Development). I applied to the International Fellows Program as well. Does anyone who was accepted know when incoming (American) students are expected to report to campus? In no way do I presume that I can count on an acceptance - I am simply curious. Thanks.

I do know you can attempt to leverage Universities based on what other offers you have received.

I'll be waiting to see if I got a Pickering and what other packages schools offer me.

I just got written into a two year grant here in Jamaica based on my Fulbright so I'll be using that as leverage too.

Once one group funds you, just go to the others and play ball I say!

Tell me about it. Why is Columbia so cheap despite their endownment. I am sure a lot of folks will want to go there not only for the brand name but the focus of their program. Not that I am complaining too much since international students are usually not given a lot of money by US schools except a few (Columbia, I would hope). This model of waiting until the second year is just not worth it. What if I apply again and then no funds again? Surely that is not a gamble I want to take but then I have other options including WoodyWo whom I am waiting for to tell me how much money I got! :)

Hi all -

I'm in the remaining 25% of applicants still playing the waiting game for SIPA (MPA-Economic & Political Development). I applied to the International Fellows Program as well. Does anyone who was accepted know when incoming (American) students are expected to report to campus? In no way do I presume that I can count on an acceptance - I am simply curious. Thanks.

Hey,

I applied to the same programs, and am also waiting to hear back! Hopefully we'll hear good news next week!

Still waiting too. Does anyone have documents that are uploaded in the online application but don't show as received under the application status section?

Ok, this can be a serios problem.

First, did you receive an email saying all your materials were received and that the application was transferred to tha admission review committee?

Second, does it say on your online application that 'application was completed on ..' (Not the date that you SUBMITTED it, but COMPLETED)

Third, does it say somewhere one your online application that certain materials were not submitted (below on page)

If that's the case, let me know and I will tell you what to do!

Ok, this can be a serios problem.

First, did you receive an email saying all your materials were received and that the application was transferred to tha admission review committee?

Second, does it say on your online application that 'application was completed on ..' (Not the date that you SUBMITTED it, but COMPLETED)

Third, does it say somewhere one your online application that certain materials were not submitted (below on page)

If that's the case, let me know and I will tell you what to do!

1. Received 1/27: "We are writing from the Columbia University SIPA Office of Admissions to let you know that your Fall 2011 Master of International Affairs (MIA) application has been processed, all necessary documents were noted as received, and your file has been forwarded to the Admissions Committee for review."

2. Application Complete - No additional documents. Application Status: Completed on 1/26/2011 12:00:00 PM

3. No, but under transcripts only two are showing. I have an additional document under "non-degree coursework/continuing education" that shows on my application, but does not appear under the app status. Not sure why...

Thanks for the help. I didn't want to bother them so I thought I'd ask here...

1. Received 1/27: "We are writing from the Columbia University SIPA Office of Admissions to let you know that your Fall 2011 Master of International Affairs (MIA) application has been processed, all necessary documents were noted as received, and your file has been forwarded to the Admissions Committee for review."

2. Application Complete - No additional documents. Application Status: Completed on 1/26/2011 12:00:00 PM

3. No, but under transcripts only two are showing. I have an additional document under "non-degree coursework/continuing education" that shows on my application, but does not appear under the app status. Not sure why...

Thanks for the help. I didn't want to bother them so I thought I'd ask here...

You don't have a poblem.

It sounds like the regular procedure.

If things were missing you would have been contacted.

You are - like myself - just waiting for them to send a decision notification ..

you are not the only one ;)

Do you know if the AdComm sent emails on Friday or today's morning?

You don't have a poblem.

It sounds like the regular procedure.

If things were missing you would have been contacted.

You are - like myself - just waiting for them to send a decision notification ..

you are not the only one ;)