Don't Have A Plan B?

KreacherKeeper

Ok, so is there anyone else like me who is worried because they don't have a Plan B? I graduate in May, and I still don't know if I am accepted anywhere I applied. So worst case scenario, it turns out to be March 15th and I don't get in AND I don't have any real job prospects.

Anyone else totally freaked out?

To how many schools did you apply? I think most people have their plan B as "If I don't get into Dream School, I'll go to second choice school." After that, it's time to get another Master's or find one of those fancy internships (that accepts post-bac).

Same! If I don't get in I have no plan B, I am just hoping, and also I am waiting for a rejection from my top school since I saw many acceptance results in gradcafe, it hurts, really hurts...but I try to be optimist. :rolleyes:

Thanks. Fancy internship is my unofficial Plan B, but right now I have nothing 'in the bag' or definite so I feel like if Plan A does not work out, I will have to simply sit in my cone of shame for a year until admission cycle comes back around!

I decided that my goal for this week was to create a non-cone of shame Plan B plan this week!

Good luck GI1, I feel your pain! Good to know I am not alone!

Thanks. Fancy internship is my unofficial Plan B, but right now I have nothing 'in the bag' or definite so I feel like if Plan A does not work out, I will have to simply sit in my cone of shame for a year until admission cycle comes back around!

I decided that my goal for this week was to create a non-cone of shame Plan B plan this week!

Good luck GI1, I feel your pain! Good to know I am not alone!

Thank you! let me add sth, even IF I or anyone else didn't get in to grad school that DOESN'T MEAN HE/SHE IS NOT A GOOD STUDENT, there is really no shame about it, it is a competitive procedure and we might just not be a good fit to the profs research interest, that's all!.......but have to wait until all the results are out and be hopeful ;)

Good luck to you too !:D

why can't you start making a plan B now?

sometimes making plan B requires a lot of effort and commitment, which is very hard before you even know whether you're accepted or not.

For example, I can't go to any job interviews for anything interesting because I can't answer basic questions like "when can you start" or "will you be willing to commit for at least a year?". Hey, I don't even know if I'm gonna leave the country [for school] in a couple of months or not!

I had a Plan B, and then didn't get in. So, grad school is now out; my rejection from my safety pretty much told me that my chances for ever getting into grad school are slim to none. I am now reverting to Plan C, which is applying to any job that I can find. And, yes, I am really worried b/c I have liberal arts degrees and I've been looking for a job for two years with no luck. I thought going back to school would somehow help me but it hasn't; I'm back to square one.

That said, I would start devising a Plan B, C and D.

Although I have succeeded in getting accepted to two schools so far, my plan B was teaching English in China. There are plenty of teaching abroad programs for college graduates that may interest you. The plus side is that it may pad your resume if you decide to give grad school another try.

I didn't have a plan B before I got admitted but i think everyone technically has a plan B. It just not be very desirable (working a crappy job, living with parents ect.) It's tough to think about making a plan b when you're so focused on grad school but for me, i started to think how i could work in a lab if i didn't get it. at least then, i was still focusing on grad school (plan a) while i was doing a potential plan b!

Don't wait to find a plan B. Start now. I only applied to one school because it is the only one with the best fit for me. If I don't get in I plan to work save some money and move out west in Canada or maybe even the US for better job prospects (and a change of scenery). Or I'll apply to more schools the second time around.

Start looking around for interships and jobs. Also look into graduate certificates to gain some more academic experience and keep busy. Don't just sit around. Be proactive. This is your life and future. Only you can push yourself. Hope this helps. :)