Berkeley, CA

maple

Awesome cheers! BTW, did you by any chance (assuming from your username) stay in BSC accommodation? I'm considering their graduate house (Hillegass Parker House). Do you have opinions for or against staying there?

• 2 weeks later...

Any hints on getting an August rental locked down before leaving for overseas work in June?

Check out Craigslist rooms and shares for East Bay and just filter by search term 'august'. You'll get a bunch of summer sublets there but should be a handful of listings for the start of August. I've been checking it for a few weeks now and should hopefully have somewhere sorted now for August.

I need housing help ASAP, need to make a decision by tonight. I am looking to live in a studio apartment and have narrowed it down to eith Manville or Campanile court. Any suggestions? Any information helps!

Which department will you be attending for classes? Campanile Court seems quite far from the university - possibly too far to walk regularly. Manville looks like a much better location.

• 2 weeks later...

I currently live in one of the two grad/re-entry co-ops, and am happy to answer questions about specifics!

I'm a re-entry student, in the decision process for grad school, so will be leaving at the end of May, but have been at Berkeley, and in the co-op for two years.

Hello! I've heard so much about the cleanliness problems with co-ops, so which would you say are the most "clean" or reasonable?

I have a preference for closest to campus, specifically Evans Hall, and reasonably clean. I like the social aspect of co-ops, don't mind small parties, but of course don't want to live in a frat house. Which would you recommend? Thanks!!!

Shameless bump - but we're still looking for a third housemate - http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/roo/3750565764.html - the apartment is really close to the Haas and cycleable to most parts of the campus.  Send me a message if you're interested or have any questions!

Edited by ssk2

• 9 months later...

Is anyone headed to Berkeley this fall? I'm deciding between UCB and one other school, so I'm doing some research about logistics. I live in the city right now and am trying to figure out whether I should BART or drive.

The parking permit seems really steep! $327/semester! In the city it's only $100/yr to get a street parking permit! Are there any alternatives to campus lots or are street spots and other garages just as expensive? What with the bridge toll (and it's about to increase!) that would be some $1400/yr (not including summer) if I went three days per week, and that's not including gas! That seems a bit excessive as I don't even spend that much on gas annually.

On the other hand, BART would be $8 round trip, making it about a grand a year. However, grad student work spaces are off campus and not really accessible via BART, especially if we are carrying a lot of materials and supplies.

I saw that carpool permits are cheaper ($92/person) but that would limit my mobility and schedule, making it hard for me to go and work in said grad workspaces at all. And depending on the class/work schedule I might have to spend more days on campus. Ion that case, I might actually break the $2000 mark, which just seems insane.

Are there any cheaper alternatives if I want to drive? I hadn't realized it was so expensive!

Oh and if anyone has other questions or comments about the town, I'm curious to hear. Just thought I'd start a thread. Thanks!

Edited by seeingeyeduck

Hi, I see that this post hasn't been active in nearly a year, and I was wondering of any of you are still around to answer questions. I was notified of my admission to Berkeley for grad school about two weeks ago, and I'm going to the visit day in two weeks. I live overseas and this will be my only chance to see the city/university before I possibly move there, so does anybody have recommendations about what I should see/do/ask the current grad students about while I'm there? Most of my questions center around housing, shopping opportunities, and getting around without a car (I will be bringing a bike, but I don't have a car and don't intend on buying one before I move). Is it hard to live in Berkeley without a car? I've heard that the parking permits can be really expensive, and that there is a fairly good public transportation network, but is it cheaper not to have a car?

Hello! I've heard so much about the cleanliness problems with co-ops, so which would you say are the most "clean" or reasonable?

I have a preference for closest to campus, specifically Evans Hall, and reasonably clean. I like the social aspect of co-ops, don't mind small parties, but of course don't want to live in a frat house. Which would you recommend? Thanks!!!

If you don't want party all the time, stay away from Casa Zimbabwe (which I also found kind of dirty). Cloyne is nice but is incredibly big and the parties get crazy, but the people I know who lived there really did love it. The Convent, for graduate and older students, is quiet, clean and nice, with occasional parties completely controlled by the residents.

Hi, I see that this post hasn't been active in nearly a year, and I was wondering of any of you are still around to answer questions. I was notified of my admission to Berkeley for grad school about two weeks ago, and I'm going to the visit day in two weeks. I live overseas and this will be my only chance to see the city/university before I possibly move there, so does anybody have recommendations about what I should see/do/ask the current grad students about while I'm there? Most of my questions center around housing, shopping opportunities, and getting around without a car (I will be bringing a bike, but I don't have a car and don't intend on buying one before I move). Is it hard to live in Berkeley without a car? I've heard that the parking permits can be really expensive, and that there is a fairly good public transportation network, but is it cheaper not to have a car?

I was freaking out about transport costs but I did some digging and it looks like we can get something called the Class Pass which allows students to ride local AC Transit for free. It doesn't work for BART but there is a line that goes over the bridge into the city. That's a relief.

I think you can get by without a car. There are bike paths in Berkeley and it's still dense enough for stores and most things to be accessible. Berkeley Bowl isn't too far from campus or Ashby BART. You can always take your bike on BART when needed. Maybe you can google map some types of stores that you need and see how far from campus/housing they are.

Though I assume street permits are a lot cheaper than the campus student parking permits since they're residential rather than for campus. It's just that I don't qualify since I wouldn't be living in the city.

It's entirely possible to live at Berkeley without a car, and in fact it's my impression that that's what most people do, as I did myself during my two years as an undergrad. The city is extremely bike-able. If you live reasonably close to campus, your longest bike commute is unlikely to exceed 15 mins, as there are a number of grocery stores, cheap restaurants/eateries, and drugstores around. If you need to go a greater distance, you can always take the bus or the BART (underground metro) and take your bike with you. There is a Bicycle Co-op (more of a student club) at the school where they'll help you fix your bike for free (unless, of course, you need to replace parts). They were also installing these "self-service bike repair stations" on campus when I left last year (O alas the day!)—with pumps and wrenches and related paraphernalia.

All this said, there is a reasonably-priced car rental service (don't remember the name, but they always advertise near campus), and if you need to transport something large once in a while (furniture, for example) you can also rent a truck through UHaul.

(Also, I don't know about Germany, but I've been to Vienna, and I'd say Berkeley's public transportation is comparable, though not on par.)

I assume you'll also take a look at San Francisco while you're at Berkeley. I'd suggest you also explore North Oakland a bit to get a sense of the larger context of the city, in case you ever decide you're sick of Berkeley and want to live away a bit (I know a lot of students who live at Oakland, esp. if they're slightly older).

A trip to Cheese Board Pizzeria on Shattuck Ave., and the cheese-and-bakery shop next door, wouldn't be wasted either. You'll get to eat great pizza and also get a feel for the type of cooperative-run business that Berkeley seems to be famous for. If you have money and decide you won't be returning to Berkeley, it might be worth checking out Chez Panisse, also on Shattuck. I haven't been but it's the best known higher-endish restaurant in town. Incidentally, this part of Shattuck Ave. is referred to as the "Gourmet Ghetto" (self-explanatory name).

What else . . . Oh, most people would tell you about Trader Joe's, Berkeley Bowl, and Whole Foods, but you'll find yourself shopping at these three very rarely if you live close by Monterrey Market (15-20 min North West of campus), which is a kind of ongoing, 7-days-a-week farmer's market—fresher and cheaper fare than the triad I mentioned.

You might also want to check out the Bancroft Library, where they keep most of their rare manuscripts etc., if you're into that aspect of history.

Do get a late meal at the International House and watch the sunset across the bay.

Do the same (without the meal) from on top of the Campanile (aka Sather Tower aka campus penis; on a related note, google "The Balls of Texas").

Edit to add that you'll can ride the bus (AC transit) for free as a student.

Edited by davidipse

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the helpful information on this thread so far. For me, application season is winding down and I'm very strongly considering a PhD offer from UC Berkeley. Unfortunately, I won't be able to visit (I'm living abroad and can't get the time off), so it's difficult for me to get a sense of Berkeley culture.

The thing that worries me the most about Berkeley is the high cost of living. I don't mind living with other people, but I strongly prefer having my own room and bathroom in a safe area that's relatively close to campus. Is this possible for less than $1,000 (including monthly rent and utilities)? Also, I won't be heading back to the States until the end of July. Do you think it would be possible to find an apartment during August?

Thanks in advance.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the helpful information on this thread so far. For me, application season is winding down and I'm very strongly considering a PhD offer from UC Berkeley. Unfortunately, I won't be able to visit (I'm living abroad and can't get the time off), so it's difficult for me to get a sense of Berkeley culture.

The thing that worries me the most about Berkeley is the high cost of living. I don't mind living with other people, but I strongly prefer having my own room and bathroom in a safe area that's relatively close to campus. Is this possible for less than $1,000 (including monthly rent and utilities)? Also, I won't be heading back to the States until the end of July. Do you think it would be possible to find an apartment during August?

Thanks in advance.

Hey. There's usually plenty of places open in August. I had to apartment hunt twice, both in August, and found reasonable places within a week of looking around on craigslist. I'd suggest you look on Craigslist to get a sense of the range of rent prices. $1000 would probably do fine for a studio and utilities, or a room of your own in a shared house and utilities. Check out North Oakland too; it's cheaper and a lot of grads or older undergrads seem to live there.

Also, there's always plenty of semester-long subletting going on as undergrads leave to study abroad for a semester. So, in the probably unlikely case you don't find somewhere suitable in August, you can manage for a semester by subletting a room, which would also have the probable advantage of being pre-furnished (since nobody's logging their futon to Rome or Paris).

Good luck!

@hj2012, I was worrying about some of the same things in terms of cost of living. I would also prefer a spot in a roommate situation for under $1000 within biking distance from campus, and I also live abroad right now and am having a hard time getting a feeling for what the costs/environment will be like. I will, however, make it to the visit day in my department the weekend after next, so I'd be happy to let you know about anything I find out ;) 

@davidipse, I was wondering if it's realistic to hope I can live entirely on the stipend I've been offered ($22,000/year). I looked it up on a comparison site, and that apparently only covers about 92% of the average cost of living in Berkeley as a student. From your experience, will I be able to live on that sum (rent/utilities/food/transportation/personal expenses), or should I start looking for outside funding/a side job asap? This is honestly my biggest concern about choosing Berkeley.

Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance.

You could also look for in law units in addition to studios. They are more standalone than a shared room in a house and usually have their own bathroom, but they won't be as expensive as a studio in some places.

@hj2012, I was worrying about some of the same things in terms of cost of living. I would also prefer a spot in a roommate situation for under $1000 within biking distance from campus, and I also live abroad right now and am having a hard time getting a feeling for what the costs/environment will be like. I will, however, make it to the visit day in my department the weekend after next, so I'd be happy to let you know about anything I find out ;)

@davidipse, I was wondering if it's realistic to hope I can live entirely on the stipend I've been offered ($22,000/year). I looked it up on a comparison site, and that apparently only covers about 92% of the average cost of living in Berkeley as a student. From your experience, will I be able to live on that sum (rent/utilities/food/transportation/personal expenses), or should I start looking for outside funding/a side job asap? This is honestly my biggest concern about choosing Berkeley.

If it's just you and you bike, then all this should be possible. $22k sounds doable. If you house/apt share, your rent will be well under $1000.

@davidipse Whew, that's a relief that I shouldn't worry too much about housing now.  :)  I think I'm going to put in an application for the grad school co-ops mentioned above and see if it works out.

@maelia8 Please let me know what you think about Berkeley! I reaaaaaaally wish I could visit!

@seeingeyeduck Thanks for the tip about in-law units. I'll definitely keep that in mind.

And one last question, for any current grad students -- how did you guys go about meeting new people? My cohort is going to be really small (probably ~5 people), and I'd like to expand my social circle beyond that.

For grad school coops I highly recommend HIP and The Convent. Both are pretty quiet, and get great groups of people in them. Places like Cloyne, Casa Zimbabwe and several of the other undergraduate coops are drug addled party dens.

How hard is it to get into a coop like HIP or The Covent as a grad student coming from another institution? I've heard that the coops have a system of points and if you don't have very many due to prior residency it can be hard to get in. Is it worth it to apply regardless?

There is a priority system for exchange students and senior residents of the coops (you can read about this on their website). So it could be difficult to get in, but in my opinion it is totally worth it. I would have tried really hard to get into The Convent at some point if I had been accepted in Berkeley last year.