Berkeley, CA

maple

Thanks a lot!smile.gif

Do you know, by any chance: If you look for an apartment to rent, how can you know whether the building has been built well? Is it just the date it has been built, or are there other methods? (Being an economist, I'd rather not rely on asking the owner...)

Thanks a lot!smile.gif

Do you know, by any chance: If you look for an apartment to rent, how can you know whether the building has been built well? Is it just the date it has been built, or are there other methods? (Being an economist, I'd rather not rely on asking the owner...)

Maybe web sites like this one, http://www.seismic.ca.gov/pub.html can help give you an idea of California's building regulations and when they came into effect, to compare to the years properties were built.

I am no expert by any means. But I would probably figure by year, since evidence of retrofitting seems to be in how the building is bolted and strapped the foundation, and the foundation's health. Might be hard to tell, just looking.

There are some pictures in this pdf of stuff to look for (e.g. beware of old un-reinforced masonry): http://www.seismic.c...2005-01_HOG.pdf

From my own experience, definitely eyeball the exterior and interior for cracks in walls and corners, and certainly the exterior visible part of the foundation. Not the best sign, though wall ones are usually not a big deal. A few are okay, but if I saw a lot, I wouldn't move in.

I'd guess the safest buildings were (or should have been) built in the 1990s forward, after the Loma Prieta. But I'd also vouch for not-old-but-not-new buildings that survived the quake.

Plenty of earthquake conscious homes were built in the 1980s. My 1985 wooden home is bolted and strapped to a foundation with rods running deep into the ground below street-level.

I hope this helps. Don't forget about looking at fire safety -- a much more common issue. And at least in Berkeley, I haven't seen anyone have to worry about flooding; a nice change from my hometown area!

Edited by Jae B.

hi,

thanks for the advice...reading this forum is very helpful!

if I wanted to find some off campus housing with other grad students, is the best way to do this craigslist? i'm from the east coast and don't know anyone from the area so I would ideally like to live with other grad students in a house/apt...

also...when should i start looking? i have a trip planned to wine country in May and was wondering if its feasible to swing by berkeley for a few days and figure out housing...think may is too early?

hi,

thanks for the advice...reading this forum is very helpful!

if I wanted to find some off campus housing with other grad students, is the best way to do this craigslist? i'm from the east coast and don't know anyone from the area so I would ideally like to live with other grad students in a house/apt...

also...when should i start looking? i have a trip planned to wine country in May and was wondering if its feasible to swing by berkeley for a few days and figure out housing...think may is too early?

I think Craigslist is okay. I've seen some of my friends use it successfully.

Check out the Berkeley Co-ops -- they have some graduate student housing: http://berkeleystudentcooperative.org/

May is probably way too early to figure out housing. Generally, most housing comes available late summer for Fall semester. Otherwise, you'd be expected to pay in advance.

During my admissions info session, an administrator said some people "just show up" with their stuff right before classes start! They find a place that day...or someone's couch to crash on.

Someone in my program said, if people don't find a place to stay the first day, they just sleep in the grad school!

Just to give you an idea of how late people secure their housing. I didn't believe it at first, either, but late summer is usually the earliest time.

• 10 months later...

How is the crappy student job market in Berkeley? I'd be pretty set with my fellowship, but my boyfriend will most likely be moving with me, and he's taking a break from studying for a while. He'll really take any job he can get (lots of previous experience with childcare, medical records, heavy lifting stuff...whatever makes the $$$), but I know in the college town I'm in now, it can be hard to even get "shitty" jobs because of the economy and the huge student population. Another possible issue is that his English isn't 100% fluent (he's Northern European). We can survive for a month or two on my fellowship and savings, but if he can't get some kind of work by then he'll go stir crazy and money will be tight.

How is the crappy student job market in Berkeley? I'd be pretty set with my fellowship, but my boyfriend will most likely be moving with me, and he's taking a break from studying for a while. He'll really take any job he can get (lots of previous experience with childcare, medical records, heavy lifting stuff...whatever makes the $$), but I know in the college town I'm in now, it can be hard to even get "shitty" jobs because of the economy and the huge student population. Another possible issue is that his English isn't 100% fluent (he's Northern European). We can survive for a month or two on my fellowship and savings, but if he can't get some kind of work by then he'll go stir crazy and money will be tight.

Ditto for this--exact same situation except I'm attending and my girlfriend will be the stir-crazy job hunter.

How is the crappy student job market in Berkeley? I'd be pretty set with my fellowship, but my boyfriend will most likely be moving with me, and he's taking a break from studying for a while. He'll really take any job he can get (lots of previous experience with childcare, medical records, heavy lifting stuff...whatever makes the $$), but I know in the college town I'm in now, it can be hard to even get "shitty" jobs because of the economy and the huge student population. Another possible issue is that his English isn't 100% fluent (he's Northern European). We can survive for a month or two on my fellowship and savings, but if he can't get some kind of work by then he'll go stir crazy and money will be tight.

Ditto for this--exact same situation except I'm attending and my girlfriend will be the stir-crazy job hunter.

From what I've observed, it's pretty competitive in the Berkeley area (including those medical records jobs!), but there are always odd babysitting jobs around Albany. There are some slimy part-time marketing jobs — and a few okay ones. It gets easier to find work if you don't mind commuting towards San Francisco.

Possible to survive here on a 19,000/yr stipend? Ten years ago, I totally would have been fine renting someones living room or sharing a bedroom with 2 other people. Im old now though, 30, this sounds horrible to me. 19k/yr...that is a 12 mo stipend not for 9mos, that is just terrible. Thoughts?

Do i need my car here?

Edited by enginerd

Possible to survive here on a 19,000/yr stipend? Ten years ago, I totally would have been fine renting someones living room or sharing a bedroom with 2 other people. Im old now though, 30, this sounds horrible to me. 19k/yr...that is a 12 mo stipend not for 9mos, that is just terrible. Thoughts?

Do i need my car here?

I make it on 15k, sharing. It's definitely possible to live on 19k if you rent a studio between 700 - 1,000 / mo., so you get a space to yourself. Tons of grad students, myself included, haven't needed a car around here — you get an AC Transit bus pass that'll get you around and there's BART for when you're in a hurry.

• 2 weeks later...

If you're only in Las Vegas, I would say bring the car. Berkeley isn't too tough to find parking...at least in comparison to San Francisco. But the person above me is right, the bay area has a lot of public transportation programs that are usually sufficient to get around

Do i need my car here?

As an undergraduate, I did not feel I needed a car for most of my time in Berkeley. However, in my last year I did think that having a car would have broadened my experiences a bit. There are lots of interesting things to do and places to visit in the Bay Area, and having a car makes it that much easier for you to experience those things. For example, if you're an outdoorsy kind of person, it would be difficult to reach the great hiking areas in NorCal without a car. If you enjoy exploring different restaurants, having a car will reduce the headache of constantly planning for the pitfalls of public transit (frequency and transfers, mostly) when going to a new place. You may also feel safer if you drive and can avoid longer walks to/from BART stations and bus stops at night.

Though it is *much* more feasible to get around with just public transit in Berkeley than in other places, the convenience of a car is still something to consider. However, you should keep in mind that:

-it will cost you extra (can go up to ~$100/mo for covered spaces, though it can also be as low as ~$60; another option is to get a parking permit for your neighborhood and park on the streets...I want to say it's $30/yr, but don't hold me on that)

-parking will be difficult and/or expensive at times

-bridges = fees

-gas is expensive-ish there

-there is a risk your car will get broken into (it happens more than I'd like to admit, but it's just a risk you learn to live with)

Also, though I can't say for sure because I never tried to rent a studio, I'm a bit doubtful that you will be able to find a decent studio in the area for $700 - and if you do, you would most likely have to pay for water, heat, electricity, and trash! Just based on other friends' experiences, I would imagine $900-1100 is a good working range. Though at $1100, you better be blown away by the place!

Also, though I can't say for sure because I never tried to rent a studio, I'm a bit doubtful that you will be able to find a decent studio in the area for $700 - and if you do, you would most likely have to pay for water, heat, electricity, and trash! Just based on other friends' experiences, I would imagine $900-1100 is a good working range. Though at $1100, you better be blown away by the place!

Although it is possible to find a studio for $700-800 not that far (~20 min walking distance) from campus, (1) the competition for these places is fierce, especially because most undergrads don't stay in the dorms for more than a year or two, and (2) most will likely be snapped up in the spring, because their student tenants will leave at the end of May. I am currently in a very decent studio (separate bathroom and kitchen, water, garbage, and heat included, ~5 min walk from campus) for $1000 a month, so yes, I would agree that the $900-1100 range is a more realistic expectation (you might even be able to get a very small 1 bedroom), although with the caveat that if you are looking to move in in the fall rather than the summer I do not know what will be available. Also, as I type this, I realize that this is only applicable to south side. I am not familiar with north side housing, but I think the general trend is that you can get better places for less, but the living environments are pretty different. Hopefully that is helpful!

Edited by chaussettes

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

From what I've observed, it's pretty competitive in the Berkeley area (including those medical records jobs!), but there are always odd babysitting jobs around Albany. There are some slimy part-time marketing jobs — and a few okay ones. It gets easier to find work if you don't mind commuting towards San Francisco.

IIRC, working as an official/referee for Cal's intramural sports leagues can be a good way to get some exercise (depending upon the sport) and to earn some money.

• 1 month later...

Does Berkeley have subsidized grad student housing? Aside from the co-ops? I'm thinking of trying to find something cheap for the first year if I end up there, and looking for something more permanent while my fiance and I are living in the area so that we'll have plenty of time to actually visit places.

Does Berkeley have subsidized grad student housing? Aside from the co-ops? I'm thinking of trying to find something cheap for the first year if I end up there, and looking for something more permanent while my fiance and I are living in the area so that we'll have plenty of time to actually visit places.

Not that I know of. Coops are the cheapest housing by far. The two grad coops are great.

• 4 weeks later...

Are the coops typically difficult to get into? I love how inexpensive they are and how close they are to campus, but I'm worried that if/when I decide to accept Berkeley's offer they'll be full and I'll be SOL as far as housing goes. I'd really just like to be within a reasonable walking/biking distance of campus without having to spend almost my entire stipend on rent (heck, is this even possible..?)

Are the coops typically difficult to get into?

Yes.

If you wait to apply towards the end of admissions season (like April) you will almost certainly not get in, let alone into one of the coops you want (since there are some you almost certainly won't want).

I love how inexpensive they are and how close they are to campus, but I'm worried that if/when I decide to accept Berkeley's offer they'll be full and I'll be SOL as far as housing goes. I'd really just like to be within a reasonable walking/biking distance of campus without having to spend almost my entire stipend on rent (heck, is this even possible..?)

If you're seriously considering going, you can put a deposit in now. If you decide to not do the coop thing, you can get all but 10 dollars of it refunded (I did this last year). So if you think you're likely to come to berkeley and join a coop, I'd advise putting a deposit down now and getting yourself on the list. Worst case scenario, you go/live somewhere else and are out 10 bucks.

Also, I should say that while finding reasonably priced housing near campus is hard, it's not impossible. I pay 650 a month for a 20 minute walk to campus.

If you're seriously considering going, you can put a deposit in now. If you decide to not do the coop thing, you can get all but 10 dollars of it refunded (I did this last year). So if you think you're likely to come to berkeley and join a coop, I'd advise putting a deposit down now and getting yourself on the list. Worst case scenario, you go/live somewhere else and are out 10 bucks.

Also, I should say that while finding reasonably priced housing near campus is hard, it's not impossible. I pay 650 a month for a 20 minute walk to campus.

Thank you, that's really reassuring to hear. I've been browsing craigslist and it seems like everything is $800-$900 just for a room! I think I will put in an application at the coops just in case. Are there any neighborhoods that you recommend I check out within walking distance/quiet environment/not too expensive?

Also, could you tell me a little bit about what graduate student life is like at Berkeley? I'll be visiting at the end of the month but I've never been to the bay area and have no idea what to expect.

Thank you, that's really reassuring to hear. I've been browsing craigslist and it seems like everything is $800-$900 just for a room! I think I will put in an application at the coops just in case. Are there any neighborhoods that you recommend I check out within walking distance/quiet environment/not too expensive?

Well, it depends on what you're looking for. The best way to save money is to live closer to San Pablo, though that puts you 1.5 to 2 miles from campus, so not easily walkable. If you want to be within walking distance, north of campus is probably your best bet. It's more expensive than south of campus, but is much more of a graduate student area, whereas south of campus (though probably a little cheaper) is more of an undergrad area. Not saying you couldn't or shouldn't live south of campus, but that's just kind of how it seems to break down. North of University and east of MLK would be ideal, though a few blocks out from that should be fine too. I'd try to find a place in that zone.

I should mention that getting a lower price than ~900 is contingent on living with someone. I split a two bedroom apt. with one other person. Perhaps you're not looking at the "Rooms & shares" listing on craigslist, instead of "Apartments"? That will have better-priced stuff.

Some parts of Berkeley are moderately sketchy (South Berkeley on the border with Oakland mostly, and some areas west of San Pablo) as are some parts of Oakland. Once you move here and learn the area, you'll figure it out. In general North Berkeley is nicer than south, and east is nicer than west, though that's just a generalization, and most of "west" and "south" berkeley is fine.

Also, could you tell me a little bit about what graduate student life is like at Berkeley? I'll be visiting at the end of the month but I've never been to the bay area and have no idea what to expect.

Graduate student life here is quite good. It's very common to live in Berkeley your first year (which I would highly recommend) but people do tend to move out as they live here a while, usually into Oakland but sometimes into farther North Berkeley/Albany/El Cerrito or even into San Francisco (if they can somehow afford it).

The weather is amazing, there's a lot of fun stuff to do in the area (some people say that Berkeley itself can be a little boring though a) I disagree and B) it's right beside Oakland and San Francisco, so that's not a serious issue), and life as a graduate student is quite good.

Nope, I was looking at the rooms and shares section, yikes. There are some beautiful places between $700-$900 for a room on the north side but I'm concerned that on $18k/year that might be too much, especially with utilities factored in. There's a Cal site for off campus housing, isn't there? Is that more useful or would you recommend sticking to craigslist? And is there a time when listings tend to go up for leases starting in August (probably June ish, right)?

Graduate student life here is quite good. It's very common to live in Berkeley your first year (which I would highly recommend) but people do tend to move out as they live here a while, usually into Oakland but sometimes into farther North Berkeley/Albany/El Cerrito or even into San Francisco (if they can somehow afford it).

That makes perfect sense. I don't mind commuting but the thought of doing it my first year, in a new place, just feels like too much added stress.

Thanks again for your help!

Nope, I was looking at the rooms and shares section, yikes. There are some beautiful places between $700-$900 for a room on the north side but I'm concerned that on $18k/year that might be too much, especially with utilities factored in.

I think you could swing $700. It would be a huge chunk of your pay, no question, but the difference between $650 and $700 over the course of a year is "only" $600 dollars.

One thing you could try is contacting other people in your cohort and seeing about splitting an apartment/house. Before I found my apartment, I looked into doing this and actually didn't find it to be much cheaper, at least for renting a house even among ~5 people, but you might have better luck. It can also be a bit of a logistical pain in the ass.

My main advice would just be to keep looking. It took me a few months of moderately serious searching to find my current place, but I did eventually.

There's a Cal site for off campus housing, isn't there? Is that more useful or would you recommend sticking to craigslist?

I don't think anyone uses that thing. I was advised not to, and to just stick with craigslist.

And is there a time when listings tend to go up for leases starting in August (probably June ish, right)?

I'd say earlier. There were plenty of August listings when I was looking late last spring and through the early summer.

Hi everyone! I was wondering if most Berkeley grad students live in Berkeley/Oakland, or if it's feasible to live in San Francisco...and if so, do many grad students live in San Francisco? Are there particular SF neighborhoods that are better/more convenient for Berkeley than others? A couple of my non-future grad student friends are moving to the Bay Area in the fall, and if I decide to go to Berkeley I was thinking of maybe living with them...

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone! I was wondering if most Berkeley grad students live in Berkeley/Oakland, or if it's feasible to live in San Francisco...and if so, do many grad students live in San Francisco? Are there particular SF neighborhoods that are better/more convenient for Berkeley than others? A couple of my non-future grad student friends are moving to the Bay Area in the fall, and if I decide to go to Berkeley I was thinking of maybe living with them...

I know a few people doing various graduate degrees at Berkeley and living in SF (the Mission, specifically.) Anywhere near a BART station is feasible, as it's only about a 15-20 minute ride to Berkeley. The Mission is probably your best bet, as it's the most livable area in reasonable proximity to a BART station. I currently live there, and have an awesome place right by Dolores Park that I share with 2 other people for $850 each. This is extremely low for the area, and we were lucky as hell to find it, but it exists.