It's Finally Over!!

Iknownothing

Well, it's been a long, grueling, torturous process, but now it's all over. All my decisions are in. Thanks God it's over!

Since the "So, it's Begun" thread is pretty lengthy, I think we should start a new one to report the outcomes of this crazy process.

I applied to 12 schools:

Rejections: Yale, Brown, WashU, Indiana, Rutgers, Minnesota, William and Mary

Wait listed: Maryland

Accepted: Michigan, Penn State, Umass-Amherst, and SUNY-Binghamtom

Decision: Between Michigan and Penn State

I applied to 7 schools; all History Ph.D. except for the last one: Harvard, U of Chicago, U of Michigan,UC Berkeley, UC Davis, UC San Diego, Yale (American Studies)

Rejected: Harvard, UC Berkeley, UC San Diego, Yale

Wait listed: Michigan

Accepted: U of Chicago (24k for 1st-2nd year no teaching; 21k for 3-5th year w/ teaching), UC Davis (19,500 1st year, no teaching; 17,500, 2-3rd year; 15,000 4-5th year + writing grants).

Decision: Between Chicago and Davis; both of my ideal advisors are being recruited elsewhere I won't find out if they are leaving until early April.

Just wrapped it up here, too!

I applied to 10 schools, got into three, got funding at two.

It's between UNC and UMinnesota. Going to make my decision after I go to recruitment weekend, but I'm leaning in one direction.

Edited by Phishyman22

Congrats to everyone who got in and best luck to those still waiting.

I applied to six schools, for PhD Programs in History.

Waitlisted at three: NYU, Columbia, Georgetown

Accepted at three: Yale, Princeton, Northwestern

Going to Yale.

I have already declined all other offers and waitlists.

Applied to Harvard, Columbia, Yale, UPenn, and Chicago for International History. Waitlisted at the first, accepted with full funding at the second, rejected at the last three. (Was also accepted by two MA programs, but they were backups.) So my decision's probably going to be quite easy: 80% sure it'll be Columbia, possibly even higher after I meet with some profs and grad students next week. (Am on my way to NYC, from halfway around the world, as I type this!!)

I definitely wouldn't take it personal. I applied to twelve schools and got rejected by seven of them. I keep thinking, "What if I had only applied to those seven?" Seems like a numbers game to me.

Good luck to you. I've heard Memphis is an awesome town.

Applied to 5, got rejected from them all!

Staying at my current program if I pass my comps.

SOOOOO depressed.

I applied to 11 schools and only got into 2 (though I still haven't heard from 2 of which I have reason to believe I will be accepted to 1 and rejected from the other), Yale and the CUNY Graduate Center. I was wait-listed at William and Mary, as well. I had thought I would get 1 or 2 more acceptances but having the Yale acceptance I obviously can't complain. Also, Yale was the place where I had the best fit, by far, and so not getting into other schools where my fit was not as good makes a lot of sense.

In line with the topic title, yes, it is finally over - but not in a positive manner!!!

I applied to ten schools, rejected from five (BC, Chicago, Georgetown, Princeton and Yale), and I have yet to hear from five (Columbia, Emory, Northeastern, NYU and Pitt). It does not look good for me, and to be honest, I am kinda devastated. I have worked my butt off, strategized, and had success all throughout my academic career, but alas the dream is all but over now. Not to mention I have been applying for all sorts of jobs the past few years, yet nothing had materialized.

I definitely wouldn't take it personal. I applied to twelve schools and got rejected by seven of them. I keep thinking, "What if I had only applied to those seven?" Seems like a numbers game to me.

Good luck to you. I've heard Memphis is an awesome town.

Memphis is pretty awesome, so that's some consolation. Plus, I'm funded (been funded through the MA too, which was great), have good professors, and my fiance has a really good job here. So it's not so bad...I just kind of feel like I got picked last for the team or something!

Oh, and @rmcclymo: Call Emory. The graduate secretary will tell you your status.

@ "The Dudester" As far as I know Alan Taylor is not planning on leaving UC Davis anytime soon. I'm referring to another professor in the history department.

It is not unusual for professors to apply for other jobs in order to negotiate a higher salary at a university with the dean. In most cases if they like the department they will stay-- it's just a bargaining tool-- also most have families so it is not just a simple decision to leave because a better offer opened up elsewhere.

I'm leaning more towards one university and by early April i will make a decision to open up space for someone else to be admitted or be offered higher funding.

I applied to Columbia, Princeton, Chicago, Harvard, and Tufts. I was accepted by Columbia, waitlisted by Chicago, and rejected at Princeton and Harvard (I rescinded my application from Tufts). Declined my position on the waitlist at Chicago and I'm headed to Columbia in the fall!

I have been accepted at UMass, but I'm turning it down - perhaps good news for you!!

I assume that any program I have not heard from yet is a rejection, even though mine are all MA. I haven't heard from UMass yet, but I check my status online every single day. That is how I found out last year.

Applied to seven programs, rejected by five, accepted at one and withdrew my last application before hearing the final answer. However, I suspect I could not have gotten a better deal as far as fit and money, so I'm very happy.

I only applied to two- the University of Toronto, and a small Canadian school I am pretty sure most Americans haven’t heard of.

Got into both with funding and, obviously, picked Toronto. My top choice with my ultimate POI.

Very happy!

Writing the applications and waiting to hear back wasn’t the most fun I’ve had- but I must say, only applying to two schools meant that the process that stressful. Glad to move on, though.

I have two offers that I'm debating; a (minimally) funded [Joint] Ph.D. and a funded MA. Teaching assistantship either way. MA town is nicer than Ph.D. town, Ph.D. funding is better for the first two years, but worse after that, and only guaranteed for two further years. Ph.D. lets me spend a year in Germany. MA would let me focus more on my geographical and temporal interests, but with less-specific faculty fit, though the faculty there have been very helpful. Sigh. Hard choice. :/

I have two offers that I'm debating; a (minimally) funded [Joint] Ph.D. and a funded MA. Teaching assistantship either way. MA town is nicer than Ph.D. town, Ph.D. funding is better for the first two years, but worse after that, and only guaranteed for two further years. Ph.D. lets me spend a year in Germany. MA would let me focus more on my geographical and temporal interests, but with less-specific faculty fit, though the faculty there have been very helpful. Sigh. Hard choice. :/

Maybe take the MA and try again for PhD programs after that? I only suggest this because you might be able to get into some much better PhD programs after doing graduate-level work. I know that even after a year as an MA student, I have a much better understanding of my field, and what grad. school is actually like. I could put together a much better application now than I did a year ago.